I am confused about Cali Law. Do I need a license?
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Hybrid View

Senior Member Reputation points: 71496 Olderguy's Avatar

No you don't need a CA license. You can use a super broker. However, many lenders are not no longer doing loans in CA.
    Last edited by Olderguy; 12-05-2022 at 04:16 PM.
    Steve Benjamin
    Professional Business Loans

522 Contessa
    Irvine, CA 92620
    steveprobiz@gmail.com
    https://probizloans.net/
    Broker, Underwriter, general business loan expert

@ 24 hour funding working capital loans
    @ Term loans from 3 years to 10 years at 9.5% and up
    @ Equipment financing up to 7 years
    @ Property loans - Hard Money and traditional - Primary, Investment, commercial, land, fix and flip, construction.
    @ SBA loans - 7A and 504.
    @ Private money equity and debt for major investments
    @ Personal Loans up to gross income from personal tax return.

Quote Originally Posted by Olderguy View Post
    No you don't need a CA license. You can use a super broker. However, many lenders are not no longer doing loans in CA.
    If the super broker were gathering PII and selling the terms I suppose that would be fine, but if you are doing those things I think the law would still view you as brokering the transaction.

Senior Member Reputation points: 71496 Olderguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OC Funder View Post
    If the super broker were gathering PII and selling the terms I suppose that would be fine, but if you are doing those things I think the law would still view you as brokering the transaction.
    No that's not correct.

"Due to California’s strict requirements about when disclosures must be provided, you cannot provide written offer details (principal/advance amount and any rate/pricing/cost or total repayment/remittance amount) to a merchant and state that the offer is the only one presented by Credibly. Presentation of a single offer triggers the disclosures and a single offer has not been made by Credibly until you select one in the Offer Calculator. Until you have selected an offer and contracts have been generated and sent to the merchant, if you are providing offers in writing (including text message) you must communicate multiple Credibly offers to the merchant."

"Once you’ve selected an offer in the Offer Calculator for your California merchant, you will notice a new pop up window. You’ll have to click to confirm prior to sending/downloading the contract."
    Steve Benjamin
    Professional Business Loans

522 Contessa
    Irvine, CA 92620
    steveprobiz@gmail.com
    https://probizloans.net/
    Broker, Underwriter, general business loan expert

@ 24 hour funding working capital loans
    @ Term loans from 3 years to 10 years at 9.5% and up
    @ Equipment financing up to 7 years
    @ Property loans - Hard Money and traditional - Primary, Investment, commercial, land, fix and flip, construction.
    @ SBA loans - 7A and 504.
    @ Private money equity and debt for major investments
    @ Personal Loans up to gross income from personal tax return.

Quote Originally Posted by Olderguy View Post
    No that's not correct.

"Due to California’s strict requirements about when disclosures must be provided, you cannot provide written offer details (principal/advance amount and any rate/pricing/cost or total repayment/remittance amount) to a merchant and state that the offer is the only one presented by Credibly. Presentation of a single offer triggers the disclosures and a single offer has not been made by Credibly until you select one in the Offer Calculator. Until you have selected an offer and contracts have been generated and sent to the merchant, if you are providing offers in writing (including text message) you must communicate multiple Credibly offers to the merchant."

"Once you’ve selected an offer in the Offer Calculator for your California merchant, you will notice a new pop up window. You’ll have to click to confirm prior to sending/downloading the contract."
    California licensure requirements are separate from the disclosure requirements. To my knowledge, the new disclosure requirements did not affect the licensure requirements that have long been in place.