Leaving voicemails?
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Hybrid View

Senior Member Reputation points: 99426

On a cold call, don't leave a voicemail and put the phone number back in the dialer queue. Leaving a voicemail allows the recipient to jump to conclusions about you and puts you at a disadvantage. You want to catch him live and have a shot at engaging him. I used to leave voicemails in the past and I think the response rate was less than 1%. I decided to save my vocal chords for actual conversations.

Now if you're responding to a legitimate inquiry from the business owner, then it's okay to leave a voicemail identifying yourself and the purpose of the call.
    Archie Bengzon
    Jumpstart Capital
    archie@jumpstartcapital.biz
    www.jumpstartcapital.biz

jotucker1983
    Quote Originally Posted by MCNetwork View Post
    On a cold call, don't leave a voicemail and put the phone number back in the dialer queue. Leaving a voicemail allows the recipient to jump to conclusions about you and puts you at a disadvantage.
    Lol, Archie what disadvantage? By not leaving a voicemail, you are failing to communicate and market whatever message it is you are trying to send to the prospective client. Seeing as though most prospective clients are "hit and miss", by not leaving a voicemail, you fail to create the opportunity of actually communicating whatever message/pitch you have to the prospective client.

I used to leave voicemails in the past and I think the response rate was less than 1%. I decided to save my vocal chords for actual conversations.
    Again, if you are calling a ton of numbers then you should be using a web based predictive dialer, which allows you to push a button to leave a pre-recorded voicemail.

And the response rate to voicemails might be 1% - 3% let's say, in terms of "callbacks", but understand you aren't calling the prospect one time anyway. When you call them back let's say a second time and catch the person, they will also remember the voicemail you left which means the call isn't a complete "blind/cold" one as much anymore. Very similar to if you sent them material in the mail and followed up with a telephone call to "discuss it".
    Last edited by jotucker1983; 07-13-2017 at 12:06 PM.

Senior Member Reputation points: 99426

Quote Originally Posted by jotucker1983 View Post
    Lol, Archie what disadvantage? By not leaving a voicemail, you are failing to communicate and market whatever message it is you are trying to send to the prospective client.
    The disadvantage of the business owner saying to himself "Oh no...it's another one of those damn cash advance loan shark guys. This is the tenth call today! I'm putting him on ignore." Boom! You've just lost a prospect before you had a chance to talk to him. And what would your message say anyway? "Hey Mr. Merchant, this is John from Brinks Funding. We've got some great rates on working capital solutions for your trucking business blah blah blah." They've heard this same message dozens of times before so you're not saying anything different from the next Tom, Dick and Harry. Unless you're offering a compelling product and value proposition that the merchant's probably never heard of before, skip the voicemail. At least the next time you call, he may be curious enough to pick up and see what it's about.
    Last edited by MCNetwork; 07-13-2017 at 08:11 PM.
    Archie Bengzon
    Jumpstart Capital
    archie@jumpstartcapital.biz
    www.jumpstartcapital.biz

Archie I am anointed on this topic. Let me help you out. Its about nailing the intro in this business when it comes to cold calls. If you have a basic pitch like that I would hang up the phone on a broker or lender. You have to be different. My voicemail's that I leave are different thats why they call me back. I dont get a ton of people telling me to take them off the list or dont call me any more. You have to understand the value of a take away and motivators for some one to make a decision with you. Plus on top of that I dont call the masses of azzez lol. I call the right people to begin with. I know my prospects market I know the ups and downs and I can speak their industry language. Plus I have a killer follow up system. 12 different unique ways of following up. 95% of my deals are first position with A-C credit revenue of 100k per month or more. You got to know what to say when you are on the phone.

jotucker1983
    The disadvantage of the business owner saying to himself "Oh no...it's another one of those damn cash advance loan shark guys. This is the tenth call today! I'm putting him on ignore." Boom!
    Archie if the merchant is going to say that to my voicemail, he's going to say that to my email, my letter in the mail, my live telephone call to him, my radio ad, my TV ad, my website ad, or to my face if I pop up at the location. You know why? Because he's not interested.

It's as if you are saying the voicemail is going to make you "lose the sale". If you lose the sale because you left a voicemail, you never had a "sale" to begin with.

And what would your message say anyway?
    It would detail whatever pitch/message I'm trying to rely to said prospective client, which is the goal of any form of business marketing.

At least the next time you call, he may be curious enough to pick up and see what it's about.
    We are calling retail locations and other very busy business outlets. As a result:

- Most prospects are "hit and miss"

- Most prospects aren't going to remember a "number off a caller ID"

- If you don't leave a message, you never called/you don't exist/your message never got through

Leaving a voicemail (multiple voicemails over time) and the prospect randomly calling you back when he has time, might be the only legitimate way to communicate with the guy.

Some guys you can't get a hold of through live calls, you might can only get a hold of him through leaving a voicemail, and/or shooting an email, and/or sending a letter in the mail, and/or popping up at the location.

As a result, a Rep should utilize all "reasonable/legal" forms of business marketing at their disposal, to communicate to their target market about the availability of their offerings.
    Last edited by jotucker1983; 07-13-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jotucker1983 View Post
    Lol, Archie what disadvantage? By not leaving a voicemail, you are failing to communicate and market whatever message it is you are trying to send to the prospective client. Seeing as though most prospective clients are "hit and miss", by not leaving a voicemail, you fail to create the opportunity of actually communicating whatever message/pitch you have to the prospective client.

Again, if you are calling a ton of numbers then you should be using a web based predictive dialer, which allows you to push a button to leave a pre-recorded voicemail.

And the response rate to voicemails might be 1% - 3% let's say, in terms of "callbacks", but understand you aren't calling the prospect one time anyway. When you call them back let's say a second time and catch the person, they will also remember the voicemail you left which means the call isn't a complete "blind/cold" one as much anymore. Very similar to if you sent them material in the mail and followed up with a telephone call to "discuss it".
    Joe you got to call me. Im getting a high response rate than that. We need to discuss something. I can tell you what platform and Im using and show you the results. Call my line 314-358-0698 and maybe you can help me out with some tough deals.