"Black Wall Street". Never knew the extent of what happened.
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Hybrid View

Senior Member Reputation points: 30747

No way did I think this was going to pass. But it did.

So let's say this is the 1st domino to fall and starts a chain reaction of other city, state, and federal policies regarding reparations... How does a person go about verifying if they are indeed a descendant of a slave? I would think the Government would need to inlist the services of the private sector companies that are operating in the genealogy / acestorial / DNA spaces. I wonder if it would be a good time to invest in companies like 23andMe, Ancestry.com, and MyHeritage....

Seems like a lot of opportunity may be on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Article from Citizen Times News

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/...ic/5438597002/

In historic move, Asheville approves reparations for Black residents. In an extraordinary move, the City Council has*apologized for the city's historic role*in slavery, discrimination and denial of basic liberties to Black residents and voted to provide reparations to them and their descendants.

The unanimously passed resolution does not mandate direct payments. Instead it will make*investments in areas where Black residents face disparities.

"The resulting budgetary and programmatic priorities may include but not be limited to increasing minority home ownership and access to other affordable housing, increasing minority business ownership and career opportunities, strategies to grow equity and generational wealth, closing the gaps in health care, education, employment and pay, neighborhood safety and fairness within criminal justice," the resolution reads.

Quote Originally Posted by Winning View Post
    .... to inlist the services of the private sector companies that are operating in the genealogy / acestorial / DNA spaces. I wonder if it would be a good time to invest in companies like 23andMe, Ancestry.com, and MyHeritage....

Keep your eyes open for the opportunity that may be simmering.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53527405

"A major DNA study has shed new light on the fate of millions of Africans who were traded as slaves to the Americas between the 16th and 19th centuries."

"The DNA study was led by consumer genetics company 23andMe and included 30,000 people of African ancestry on both sides of the Atlantic. The findings*were published in the American Journal of Human Genetics."
    Last edited by Winning; 07-25-2020 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Article from Citizen Times News

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/...ic/5438597002/

In historic move, Asheville, North Carolina approves reparations for Black residents. In an extraordinary move, the City Council has*apologized for the city's historic role*in slavery, discrimination and denial of basic liberties to Black residents and voted to provide reparations to them and their descendants.

The unanimously passed resolution does not mandate direct payments. Instead it will make*investments in areas where Black residents face disparities.

"The resulting budgetary and programmatic priorities may include but not be limited to increasing minority home ownership and access to other affordable housing, increasing minority business ownership and career opportunities, strategies to grow equity and generational wealth, closing the gaps in health care, education, employment and pay, neighborhood safety and fairness within criminal justice," the resolution reads.

So let's say this is the 1st domino to fall and starts a chain reaction of other city, state, and federal policies regarding reparations... How does a person go about verifying if they are indeed a descendant of a slave? I would think the Government would need to inlist the services of the private sector companies that are operating in the genealogy / acestorial / DNA spaces. I wonder if it would be a good time to invest in companies like 23andMe, Ancestry.com, and MyHeritage....

I have seen a few different city governments pass things related to figuring out how much is owed to descendants of slaves and how they can go about issuing reparations. But today was the 1st time that I have seen a State pass any bills regarding this.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/01/us/ca...rnd/index.html

"California passes a first-of-its-kind law to consider reparations for slavery"..., "Bill AB 3121 -- the first of its kind in any state"...., "California Gov. Gavin Newsom has signed a bill establishing a task force to study and make recommendations on reparations for slavery."

Do you all think this could really happen? or is this all smoke and no fire?

And if this did happen, how do you plan to position your business to be able to tap into such a huge financial flow?

I bet most fortune 100 CEO's are looking at the current landscape and having these types of high level discussions.

Edit... Something just clicked in my head! The fix may already be in!
    All the recent cooperate activism we have been seeing in relation t0 the Black Lives Matter movement could totally be a strategic play to befriend the Black Community due to the huge financial reparations that will be paid to the black community with in the next 10 years or so. By reinforcing a relationship and befriending your customers it is easier to sell to them!!! Perhaps the top CEO's (with the massive lobbying budgets) know that the Black Community will have a huge increase in buying power within 10 years... But you cant wait to the month before you know they are coming into money, to play nice.... You have to do it in a way that seems organic...

Checkmate!
    Last edited by Winning; 10-01-2020 at 11:17 AM.

I have seen a few different city governments pass things related to figuring out how much is owed to descendants of slaves and how they can go about issuing reparations. But today was the 1st time that I have seen a State pass any bills regarding this.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/01/us/ca...rnd/index.html

"California passes a first-of-its-kind law to consider reparations for slavery"..., "Bill AB 3121 -- the first of its kind in any state"...., "California Gov. Gavin Newsom has signed a bill establishing a task force to study and make recommendations on reparations for slavery."

Do you all think this could really happen? or is this all smoke and no fire?

And if this did happen, how do you plan to position your business to be able to tap into such a huge financial flow?

I bet most fortune 100 CEO's are looking at the current landscape and having these types of high level discussions.

Edit... Something just clicked in my head! The fix may already be in!
    All the recent cooperate activism we have been seeing in relation t0 the Black Lives Matter movement could totally be a strategic play to befriend the Black Community due to the huge financial reparations that will be paid to the black community with in the next 10 years or so. By reinforcing a relationship and befriending your customers it is easier to sell to them!!! Perhaps the top CEO's (with the massive lobbying budgets) know that the Black Community will have a huge increase in buying power within 10 years... But you cant wait to the month before you know they are coming into money, to play nice.... You have to do it in a way that seems organic...

Checkmate!
    *** UPDATE ***

Over the last few years I have been following this developing story, and today a San Francisco committee is proposing to pay each black resident up to $5 million each in reparations. "Atone for it and act in terms of providing concrete measures that would pay back for the wrong that was done." check out the story at https://www.foxnews.com/us/san-franc...must-admit-sin.

Please note that this San Francisco committee is not the same taskforce that was put in place when Gov. Gavin signed Bill AB 3121, which established a task force to study and make recommendations on reparations for slavery. The state taskforce, created by that legislation signed by Newsom in 2020, has yet to put a price on reparations, but they have recommended a remedy for housing discrimination alone that topped $560 billion, or $223,000 for each qualifying descendent of a Black living in the US prior to 1900 now residing in California state. They also released a 500-page interim report, in which the 9 member California task force details what it considers 300 years of repression and discrimination for which Black Americans deserve compensation. It cites government policies, Jim Crow laws and redlining for causing the wealth gap between white and black communities.

This other San Francisco committee is saying ""America must admit its sin," says Rev. Amos Brown, a member of the San Francisco committee proposing to pay each black resident up to $5 million each in reparations. "Atone for it and act in terms of providing concrete measures that would pay back for the wrong that was done.". Eligibility for the San Francisco payout is you must be 18, identify as Black or African American for at least ten years. Alternatively, you could be born in the city between 1940 and 1996. A connection to slavery is not necessary. You may qualify for reparations by being "personally or the direct descendant of someone incarcerated by the failed war on drugs". The plan also calls on the city to supplement lower-income recipients’ income to reflect the Area Median Income (AMI), about $97,000, annually for at least 250 years. See more details and more in-depth breakdown at https://www.foxnews.com/politics/san...bt-forgiveness.

Here are a few interesting Reparation stories from over the last few years...

Harvard releases report detailing its ties to slavery, plans to issue reparations.
    https://www.npr.org/2022/04/27/10949...ts%20in%201783.

Enslaved labor built these universities. Now they are starting to repay the debt.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ns/2612821001/

Cambridge University admits it profited from historical slavery.
    https://www.euronews.com/2022/09/23/...orical-slavery

Connecticut Newspaper Admits to Profiting From Slave Ads.
    https://www.democracynow.org/2000/7/...profiting_from

Lloyd's of London to pay for 'shameful' Atlantic slave trade role.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKBN23P0SM

If you want to keep up with the status Federal Bill H.R.40 - Commission to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African Americans Act.
    Check out https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-.../house-bill/40

Interesting times indeed...

Banned Reputation points: 179851

Probably the same way you prove lineage in Native Americans, for their benefits. I am from CT, if you can prove relations with Mashantucket Pequots, or Mohegan's - I think lineage is traced back to 11 Core families, if that can be done, 11 Families, from the 1600's, Tracing back Slave relations should be possible, although difficult.

I had to trace mine back for dual citizenship w Italy, although not nearly as far.

DNA pretty much does it for you.