No way did I think this was going to pass. But it did.

So let's say this is the 1st domino to fall and starts a chain reaction of other city, state, and federal policies regarding reparations... How does a person go about verifying if they are indeed a descendant of a slave? I would think the Government would need to inlist the services of the private sector companies that are operating in the genealogy / acestorial / DNA spaces. I wonder if it would be a good time to invest in companies like 23andMe, Ancestry.com, and MyHeritage....

Seems like a lot of opportunity may be on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Article from Citizen Times News

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/...ic/5438597002/

In historic move, Asheville approves reparations for Black residents. In an extraordinary move, the City Council has*apologized for the city's historic role*in slavery, discrimination and denial of basic liberties to Black residents and voted to provide reparations to them and their descendants.

The unanimously passed resolution does not mandate direct payments. Instead it will make*investments in areas where Black residents face disparities.

"The resulting budgetary and programmatic priorities may include but not be limited to increasing minority home ownership and access to other affordable housing, increasing minority business ownership and career opportunities, strategies to grow equity and generational wealth, closing the gaps in health care, education, employment and pay, neighborhood safety and fairness within criminal justice," the resolution reads.