Don’t Forget To Pay the Tin-Man...
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Senior Member Reputation points: 983 Joseph Esparza's Avatar

Don’t Forget To Pay the Tin-Man...

What is a banner year for an ISO? The answer might be: One that does not include a Claw-Back.

The term clawbacks or claw backs can [also] be used to refer to any money or benefits that have been given out but need to returned due to special circumstances, which are mentioned in a contract

Is it asking too much of ISO’s to surrender their trust to the diligence of the Funder’s underwriting, only to get tapped on the shoulder for the full return of his commission, should the deal go bad?

Or, should a rescission period be the best practice - where after the principle is returned to the Funder, ISO’s are in the clear?
    Joe Esparza
    FUNDKITE
    "FinTech High-Risk Funding Table"
    joseph.e@fundkite.com | 929.999.2700x1008

Senior Member Reputation points: 99426

In the contracts I have with my funders, the clawbacks only occur if the deal goes bad within the first 30 days. After that period, the ISO keeps the commission for good. That's pretty reasonable IMO.

Senior Member Reputation points: 10944

Quote Originally Posted by MCNetwork View Post
    In the contracts I have with my funders, the clawbacks only occur if the deal goes bad within the first 30 days. After that period, the ISO keeps the commission for good. That's pretty reasonable IMO.

I completely agree with you, but the problem we've found with clawbacks is that underwriters don't do as much due diligence as they would knowing they get no commission back. Its definitely a situation that you can go either way on.

Senior Member Reputation points: 4807

I've only seen 30 day clauses. I agree with MCN. Pretty reasonable. EPD's shouldn't pay comp and I don't think clawbacks influence underwriting either way. Commissions are a very small part of the exposure a funder has in the event of a default. If an underwriter has an unacceptable rate of default then they won't be around long.