Is Kabbage competing with traditional MCA companies?
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Senior Member Reputation points: 13596 isaacdstern's Avatar

Is Kabbage competing with traditional MCA companies?

http://techcrunch.com/2014/05/05/kabbage-50m/

They just raised another 50MM bringing the total raise to over $450MM...is anyone losing deals to them?? Or are they not really competing in the same game?

http://www.crunchbase.com/organization/kabbage

Senior Member Reputation points: 99426

I've seen some on-line merchants who have Kabbage loans but I haven't seen any brick and mortar stores use them...yet!

I wonder if we are competing for the same business

I believe Kabbage is competing directly for the same business as MCA companies. I'm not sure what the criteria for approval is though. I would imagine their criteria is much more stringent since they give online approvals in 7 minutes!

You are probably right....I am sure they cant do high risk deals and approve them in 7 minutes

Actually, Kabbage can have you FUNDED in 7 minutes! They can probably approve an application in one minute!

A forum user Reputation points: 2147483647 Sean Cash's Avatar

Kabbage is here at Lendit in san fran. I'll have to find them and ask.

Senior Member Reputation points: 148 Capital Stack's Avatar

Nice!!!

DailyFunder mag is in the grab bags for all attendee's...

Quote Originally Posted by sean bash View Post
    Kabbage is here at Lendit in san fran. I'll have to find them and ask.

Senior Member Reputation points: 10944

Quote Originally Posted by isaacdstern View Post
    I wonder if we are competing for the same business
    I don't really understand the Kabbage model?

Out of curiosity, I called them and just asked what they look for. It looks like as long as they are doing at least 1500 a month in sales, they can get them approved; albeit that won't be for a very substantial amount of money but they still claim they can get it done. Also, they don't need to see bank statements if the merchant doesn't have any, as long as they are using something like Paypal. They don't need to have an online store though, they get brick and mortars done as well.

In theory, there could be a bit of overlap in who Kabbage is funding vs. who everyone else is funding, but it seems like a good amount of what they live on are the deals that other people aren't funding simply because of too low of sales volume or lack of a business bank account. Doesn't mean this won't change in the future though!

Quote Originally Posted by CASHCASH View Post
    Out of curiosity, I called them and just asked what they look for. It looks like as long as they are doing at least 1500 a month in sales, they can get them approved; albeit that won't be for a very substantial amount of money but they still claim they can get it done. Also, they don't need to see bank statements if the merchant doesn't have any, as long as they are using something like Paypal. They don't need to have an online store though, they get brick and mortars done as well.

In theory, there could be a bit of overlap in who Kabbage is funding vs. who everyone else is funding, but it seems like a good amount of what they live on are the deals that other people aren't funding simply because of too low of sales volume or lack of a business bank account. Doesn't mean this won't change in the future though!
    Good input. I'd like to add to that since I literally just had the pleasure of speaking to both Rob Frohwein and Kathryn Petralia. I was stunned to learn that 40% of the businesses they fund are brick and mortar based. A year or two ago, that segment was only 5% of what they funded. They've also shifted away from offering a merchant cash advance product and they now offer lines of credit. That means they're not factor rate based anymore.

FICO is a very small part of their analysis so it would not be out of the ordinary to fund merchants with 500 credit scores.

Petralia is 1 of 3 featured executives in the third issue of DailyFunder in a story about human underwriting vs. automated underwriting. The other two are Rohit Arora and Noah Breslow. I think everyone will find the Q&A format of that story very interesting. It went out in the mail today to all our subscribers.

Senior Member Reputation points: 148 Capital Stack's Avatar

Great stuff Sean. Upload some photo's of the show. Cant believe I missed this one, awesome conference.

Good input. I'd like to add to that since I literally just had the pleasure of speaking to both Rob Frohwein and Kathryn Petralia. I was stunned to learn that 40% of the businesses they fund are brick and mortar based. A year or two ago, that segment was only 5% of what they funded. They've also shifted away from offering a merchant cash advance product and they now offer lines of credit. That means they're not factor rate based anymore.

FICO is a very small part of their analysis so it would not be out of the ordinary to fund merchants with 500 credit scores.

Petralia is 1 of 3 featured executives in the third issue of DailyFunder in a story about human underwriting vs. automated underwriting. The other two are Rohit Arora and Noah Breslow. I think everyone will find the Q&A format of that story very interesting. It went out in the mail today to all our subscribers.

Banned Reputation points: 306

I was stunned to learn that 40% of the businesses they fund are brick and mortar based.

40% of their businesses are brick and mortar businesses who take an average of $500????

Did Kabbage say why they shifted from an mca to a line of credit classification? Just curious if interviews touched on the whys.

Quote Originally Posted by MCAVeteran View Post
    Did Kabbage say why they shifted from an mca to a line of credit classification? Just curious if interviews touched on the whys.
    They didn't tell me why unfortunately.