Thoughts on CAN Capital - Page 3
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    A forum user Reputation points: 2147483647 Sean Cash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jcoop View Post
    Can you possibly post the entire article, I am not subscribed to the WSJ.
    not without risking a copyright infringement claim.

Senior Member Reputation points: 2496

David Obstfeld
    Chief Executive Officer
    SOS Capital
    1330 Ave of the Americas, NY, NY 10019
    212-235-5455
    SOSCapital.com

Senior Member Reputation points: 3087

AAA reference was great Sean. I think the Company would have a much better shot at survival if they just admitted that the 3 executives committed fraud. They are calling the operating model into question (a well run mca company can make money), when they should say that they removed the executives who committed fraud. Take a page from the lending club book.

Senior Member Reputation points: 2241

Looks like Little Underwriting, No Merchant Interviews, No Site Inspections, Not Caring About NSFs and Negative Balance Days, Lowest Rates in the Industry, The Retention Calculator (Retention!!!!?), 2 Pt Sales Bonuses, Sharing Offices with Future Competitors, Taking a Line of Credit from a Future Competitor, Bloated Management Layers in Multiple Facilities and then Selling These Loans in a Package to Institutional Investors IS A BAD BUSINESS MODEL.

Member Reputation points: 6902 morgan.quinn's Avatar

(If you copy the story headline, open a new browser, and paste it into a Google search the original article link will work and the full article will appear. Works with most subscription sites)

Senior Member Reputation points: 503040

Quote Originally Posted by morgan.quinn View Post
    (If you copy the story headline, open a new browser, and paste it into a Google search the original article link will work and the full article will appear. Works with most subscription sites)
    Looks like WSJ got back-doored.

Senior Member Reputation points: 118163 ridextreme's Avatar

it doesn't work

Senior Member Reputation points: 54989

Just a joke no connection to your request.... i had an old uncle Irving that was so upset with a negative New York Times oped on is Israel that he wrote a letter to the editorial board that if they don't apologize he WILL NEVER borrow the paper from his neighbor again!!
    Marcus Clapman | Business Development | Cresthill Capital
    (High Commissions Payout Group)
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    Tel: 917-521-6528 | Fax: 212.671.1473
    Email: bizdev@cresthillcapital.com
    http://www.cresthillcapital.com

Quote Originally Posted by ridextreme View Post
    it doesn't work
    Try again An old poor-grad-student research trick lol I made sure it still worked before posting

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastFunding View Post
    Looks like WSJ got back-doored.
    BI first posted about this trick in 2008! I'm surprised online outlets have never addressed it, but I'm not complaining!

It didn't work for me either :/ are you putting in an incognito window?

I had to close all tabs and browsers and open a new window. It also helps if you clear your history. You can also try pasting the URL into a search rather than the story headline. For those of yall that reeeeally want the text PM me. Happy to copy and paste for ya.

Senior Member Reputation points: 1258

My merchant that owed can 36k, said they want to payoff can but can only do 25k, can agreed but sent them a settlement letter and said they cant provide a payoff but if the 25k is paid will provide a zero balance letter and wont affect there credit in any bad way

Quote Originally Posted by gail_waters View Post
    My merchant that owed can 36k, said they want to payoff can but can only do 25k, can agreed but sent them a settlement letter and said they cant provide a payoff but if the 25k is paid will provide a zero balance letter and wont affect there credit in any bad way
    That CAN settlement letter looks a lot like a Default letter and freaks out other funders at first. But it's fine.

it's not fine if they ever wanna take money from anyone again in the future.

Senior Member Reputation points: 307559

it's not fine if they ever wanna take money from anyone again in the future.
    and why is that ? leave aside ethics , if nothing hits their credit and they get a zero balance letter . Which lender wont approve it ?

Veteran Reputation points: 159073 J.Celifarco's Avatar

as long as you get a zero balance letter you are good, just make sure you can get one because without it you wont be able to get them funding again
    John Celifarco
    Managing Partner
    Horizon Funding Group

3423 Ave S
    Brooklyn, NY 11234
    T: (347) 773-3990 | F: (718) 795-1990
    Linkedin: Profile
    Email: john@horizonfundinggroup.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael I View Post
    and why is that ? leave aside ethics , if nothing hits their credit and they get a zero balance letter . Which lender wont approve it ?
    because they will still owe CAN 12K, and CAN already said they will not provide a zero balance letter unless it's paid. And settling for less than the agreed total is even worse then not getting a payoff letter. They will never be able to get money again.

because they will still owe CAN 12K, and CAN already said they will not provide a zero balance letter unless it's paid. And settling for less than the agreed total is even worse then not getting a payoff letter. They will never be able to get money again.
    Why would they owe them? This is simply a negotiated settlement to payoff early. In return for paying off early CAN simply agrees to take a haircut (as theyve been offering for a long time).

I literally had a client that owed CAN $76K and got CAN to agree to $60K so the merchant could meet the 50/50 split on a new $120K advance from another funder. They had no problem with it, nor did the new funder.

CAN needs money, and will take a haircut to reduce their risk and bring in cash. They'd rather take a small haircut, then risk being stacked right now.

Senior Member Reputation points: 32550 Funder Mark's Avatar

If it was a cash advance, then CAN bought their future earnings at a discount, and now the merchant bought the future earnings back at a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Funder Mark View Post
    If it was a cash advance, then CAN bought their future earnings at a discount, and now the merchant bought the future earnings back at a discount.
    lol try to explain that when that stip comes up in his next funding

Senior Member Reputation points: 1538

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastFunding View Post
    Why would they owe them? This is simply a negotiated settlement to payoff early. In return for paying off early CAN simply agrees to take a haircut (as theyve been offering for a long time).

I literally had a client that owed CAN $76K and got CAN to agree to $60K so the merchant could meet the 50/50 split on a new $120K advance from another funder. They had no problem with it, nor did the new funder.

CAN needs money, and will take a haircut to reduce their risk and bring in cash. They'd rather take a small haircut, then risk being stacked right now.
    Not that this will be the biggest concern, especially right now, but they will never be able to get money from CAN again. They will be labeled as 'Negative History - Settlement'

Senior Member Reputation points: 16720

I wouldn't lend money to someone that settled a prior debt, if it was provable. If the zero balance letter or payoff or whatever docs are generated say that it is paid for less than full amount, etc. that borrower is getting declined.
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt

Senior Member Reputation points: 2241

Everyone here seems rather optimistic CAN will somehow survive. Why is that? Explain please.

Senior Member Reputation points: 307559

Quote Originally Posted by GSilverman View Post
    Everyone here seems rather optimistic CAN will somehow survive. Why is that? Explain please.
    Why do you think they won't? Their book is huge . Also look at on deck