risks of syndication?
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Reputation points: 31817

risks of syndication?

I want to start syndicating on my deals more and more and I understand the basic risk associated with it such as a default. My concern is what happens to my money if regulation comes to town? Is there any recourse?

Senior Member Reputation points: 117023 ridextreme's Avatar

if regulation comes to town you would have to testify before Congress and you would have to find a very good lawyer.

risks of syndication?

Why is that?

Senior Member Reputation points: 32658 Zach's Avatar

Regulation most likely won't be coming during a republican presidency.
    Zachary Ramirez – CEO
    Phone: 562-391-7099
    Email: zach@zacharyjosephramirez.com

1661 N. Raymond Ave #265
    Anaheim CA 92801

risks of syndication?

Zach I agree completely which is why I am stepping in on a more substantial level. Just figured I would reach out to experience so I maximize profitability and minimize mistakes.

risks of syndication?

I also am somewhat leery of the fact that if the funder I syndicate through goes belly up I'm out everything. Who would you guys recommend?

A forum user Reputation points: 2147483647 Sean Cash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oxforddan View Post
    I also am somewhat leery of the fact that if the funder I syndicate through goes belly up I'm out everything. Who would you guys recommend?
    There's way more risk than that. Some could just run off and steal the money, the funder's ACH processing relationship could be terminated, the funder's bank account could get frozen or they could be asked to leave the bank, you could potentially be a co-defendant in a lawsuit if the merchant sues, etc just to name a few.

Going belly up should be the least of your worries if you have a solid contract that protects you in that event. It's the things you're not paying attention to that are the problem.
    Last edited by Sean Cash; 11-14-2016 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sean bash View Post
    There's way more risk than that. Some could just run off and steal the money, the funder's ACH processing relationship could be terminated, the funder's bank account could get frozen or they could be asked to leave the bank, you could be potentially be a co-defendant in a lawsuit if the merchant sues, etc just to name a few.

Going belly up should be the least of your worries if you have a solid contract that protects you in that event. It's the things you're not paying attention to that are the problem.
    And by the way, syndicates and ISOs have been named as co-defendants in lawsuits before for a variety of claims against a funder including for things like criminal usury. Funders have had their bank accounts closed and been terminated by their ACH processors. Happens all the time. Also, are you classified as an accredited investor? Funders should be asking you about that before accepting your money.

risks of syndication?

I have done a bit through strategic which seems to be going well. Sean thank you for the reply. I guess it's time to have a lawyer relook through everything for me.

Senior Member Reputation points: 3087

Quote Originally Posted by sean bash View Post
    There's way more risk than that. Some could just run off and steal the money, the funder's ACH processing relationship could be terminated, the funder's bank account could get frozen or they could be asked to leave the bank, you could be potentially be a co-defendant in a lawsuit if the merchant sues, etc just to name a few.

Yes, for instance, are they using your money to pay rent?

I have done a bit through strategic which seems to be going well. Sean thank you for the reply. I guess it's time to have a lawyer relook through everything for me.
    Short of outright endorsing strategic, at least they are huge, have been in the business for a long time and in many ways invented the syndication market for this industry. But yes, lawyers are a must.

Senior Member Reputation points: 305760

Haven't ISO been sued or at least written on as co defendants even if they did not syndicate . I don't think a merchant knows or cares if you syndicated when he names you on his lawsuit

risks of syndication?

Wow very interesting to say the least!

risks of syndication?

good points Sean...I would recommend syndicates to spread their risk among syndication platforms...Strategic has an awesome platform, love them...E-Prodigy also fantastic...I also use PSC...all great in their own right,...those are my top 3 hands down

I want to start syndicating on my deals more and more and I understand the basic risk associated with it such as a default. My concern is what happens to my money if regulation comes to town? Is there any recourse?
    Feel free to reach out to me and I'll give you the run down on the stuff no one really discusses.

Arty Bujan
    Cardinal Equity, LLC
    Managing Member
    30 Wall Street 8Th FL
    New York, NY 10005
    Phone: 212-804-5757
    Email: abujan@cardeqgroup.com
    Web: www.cardeqgroup.com

risks of syndication?

I have heard good things about Cardinal Equity too, I recommend you do call Arty...

Senior Member Reputation points: 54977

When syndicating regulations should be last of your worries! (even if Elizabeth Warren was in charge).
    Marcus Clapman | Business Development | Cresthill Capital
    (High Commissions Payout Group)
    ——————————————————————————
    Tel: 917-521-6528 | Fax: 212.671.1473
    Email: bizdev@cresthillcapital.com
    http://www.cresthillcapital.com

Senior Member Reputation points: 51665

I heard that Strategic has tightened up on their rules regarding syndication. You'd either have to go all in or nothing. No more 50/50 participation. Is that true?

Karen37a
    Ive seen ISOs and individual Brokers get sued even if they didn't syndicate, because in the end the merchants don't know who is who and who did what.

When someone wants to sue they name everyone who put their fingers on it, or breathed near it.That's why when people say Iso's dont deserve a certain amount of money, I disagree.
    Last edited by Karen37a; 11-16-2016 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fma123 View Post
    I have heard good things about Cardinal Equity too, I recommend you do call Arty...
    Thank you!

are there any syndication platforms to be careful of? anyone have a bad experience? thank you in advance

Senior Member Reputation points: 51665

Quote Originally Posted by fundmcas View Post
    are there any syndication platforms to be careful of? anyone have a bad experience? thank you in advance
    Any funder can offer syndication. You should do some research to find out what the company's default rate is so you could have a general idea how your money will perform

Senior Member Reputation points: 305760

Quote Originally Posted by fundmcas View Post
    yes . pop up shops.People who have no underwriting.There are funders that ceo are criminals. you want to do your research

Quote Originally Posted by NoBigDeal View Post
    Any funder can offer syndication. You should do some research to find out what the company's default rate is so you could have a general idea how your money will perform
    thank you. that is good advice. I had asked a question about FINRA registration in another thread but as far as I can tell for the most part most companies do not seek broker-dealer registration. default rates are absolutely something to review prior but I have other concerns such as what happens if the platform packs up one day and disappears? Has this ever happened with a platform? what kind of due diligence are syndicates doing on the platforms or what kind of contractual assurances or review would one recommend to feel safe to invest?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael I View Post
    yes . pop up shops.People who have no underwriting.There are funders that ceo are criminals. you want to do your research
    no criminals thank you. ha ha. there's a red flag if i've seen one!