New Underwriter/Funder. About 45 days in.
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

New Underwriter/Funder. About 45 days in.

Hello all,

I am glad a found this forum. I have found some of the information here very helpful. I wanted to share my experience and ask a few questions.

Our company started funded deals about 45 days ago. We are off to a good start so far. Over 10 deals funded so far.

Have two questions:

How do most funders handle cash flow? Meaning do funders usually "reinvest" collected monies into other advances or just wait until the advance finishes?

Defaults and fraud:

Had one merchant approved for an advance and then it appears closed the business down about 1 week later. Another merchant closed their bank account and has not provided another one.

How are you guys handling defaults? We are taking the collections route, calling and sending letters. At some point have any of you guys actually sued the merchant? How did the law suit go? Because the advance is under the state limit we were considering using small claims court. Just wondering if anyone has actually taken a merchant to court?

Or perhaps other funders are just writing off the debt and still turning a profit. I just hope that merchants cant just default and we have no recourse????

Advice please.

Senior Member Reputation points: 23702

You're lending money to people and have to come on a public internet forum for legal advice? Wow...just wow...

Senior Member Reputation points: 301165

i want to sign up with you asap .

Veteran Reputation points: 135660 Chambo's Avatar

I'd have to agree. You should have had your collections department all set up and ready to go. Those deals that blew you up, sounds like all you can do is send to collections.

As far as daily receipts...HELL YEAH you reinvest them into other deals!

Senior Member Reputation points: 32550 Funder Mark's Avatar

This is pathetic. Before you fund any more deals, why dont you work as an ISO, syndicate on all your deals, see how those deals turn out, see how their collections work, and THEN fund your own deals? You know, do what people call due diligence?

Senior Member Reputation points: 301165

Quote Originally Posted by Funder Mark View Post
    This is pathetic. Before you fund any more deals, why dont you work as an ISO, syndicate on all your deals, see how those deals turn out, see how their collections work, and THEN fund your own deals? You know, do what people call due diligence?
    shhhh i want to fund with them while they dont know how to underwrite

I'm betting dollars to donuts they don't even have a lender's license.

Senior Member Reputation points: 54977

Quote Originally Posted by NewFunder80 View Post
    Hello all,

I am glad a found this forum. I have found some of the information here very helpful. I wanted to share my experience and ask a few questions.

Our company started funded deals about 45 days ago. We are off to a good start so far. Over 10 deals funded so far.

Have two questions:

How do most funders handle cash flow? Meaning do funders usually "reinvest" collected monies into other advances or just wait until the advance finishes?

Defaults and fraud:

Had one merchant approved for an advance and then it appears closed the business down about 1 week later. Another merchant closed their bank account and has not provided another one.

How are you guys handling defaults? We are taking the collections route, calling and sending letters. At some point have any of you guys actually sued the merchant? How did the law suit go? Because the advance is under the state limit we were considering using small claims court. Just wondering if anyone has actually taken a merchant to court?

Or perhaps other funders are just writing off the debt and still turning a profit. I just hope that merchants cant just default and we have no recourse????

Advice please.
    I don't know were to start. if you cant afford to have losses than please hold off darting wires until you have all your questions answered, i watched to many funders come and go blowing up 6-7 digits of losses in a 2 month period.

PS i don't see a license relevant to making or losing in MCA....
    Marcus Clapman | Business Development | Cresthill Capital
    (High Commissions Payout Group)
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    Tel: 917-521-6528 | Fax: 212.671.1473
    Email: bizdev@cresthillcapital.com
    http://www.cresthillcapital.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael I View Post
    shhhh i want to fund with them while they dont know how to underwrite
    Reminds me of Cap Assist when they first opened, must be over a year ago now, they funded 2 nice deals for me, no login, within 3 months both defaulted. I am not saying causality, but shoddy underwriting definitely exists.

Quote Originally Posted by mcaguru View Post
    I beleive that was the point...

Senior Member Reputation points: 19288

lmao

Its one thing for anyone to become an ISO. When idiots like this start becoming funders, thats when you KNOW we are in a massive bubble...

Except that you legally have to have one to lend money commercially. Other than than, no, not relevant at all.

Hello all,

Have two questions:

Defaults and fraud:

Advice please.
    This forum is the gift that keeps on giving. Who or where did you get your capital to start??? Is this your business pitch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j849cNSbVGo

Veteran Reputation points: 158919 J.Celifarco's Avatar

Hello all,

Have two questions:

Defaults and fraud:

Advice please.
    wow talk about doing things backwards.. Generally a business plan, cash flow evaluation, and collection methods are things and company decides on and looks at before starting to lend money.. Get your **** together before you lose everything you already have invested
    John Celifarco
    Managing Partner
    Horizon Funding Group

3423 Ave S
    Brooklyn, NY 11234
    T: (347) 773-3990 | F: (718) 795-1990
    Linkedin: Profile
    Email: john@horizonfundinggroup.com

Senior Member Reputation points: 10944

Quote Originally Posted by J.Celifarco View Post
    wow talk about doing things backwards.. Generally a business plan, cash flow evaluation, and collection methods are things and company decides on and looks at before starting to lend money.. Get your **** together before you lose everything you already have invested
    I suppose we all have to start somewhere, and by somewhere I mean at the bottom of a huge hill to climb.
    Andrew J. McDonald
    Director of ISO Development
    Yellowstone Capital LLC
    1 Evertrust Plaza
    Suite 1401
    Jersey city, NJ 07302
    PH - 347.464.0785
    FX - 646.213.1790

I see a Debanked article in the near future, describing how to start ISO's and funding companies. This guy here is a perfect example of how to NOT start a funding company.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyYSCISOdept View Post
    I suppose we all have to start somewhere, and by somewhere I mean at the bottom of a huge hill to climb.
    This guy dug a pit at the bottom of the mountain, by not planning ahead.

There is probably no worse time than now to open an ISO or become a lender with no industry experience.

Senior Member Reputation points: 10944

Quote Originally Posted by Funder Mark View Post
    This guy dug a pit at the bottom of the mountain, by not planning ahead.
    In the words of my father, "Success is hard enough to come by, don't start by grabbing a shovel and digging a deeper hole"

Quote Originally Posted by FUNd View Post
    Except that you legally have to have one to lend money commercially. Other than than, no, not relevant at all.
    MCA not a loan.
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Senior Member Reputation points: 8656

Quote Originally Posted by AndyYSCISOdept View Post
    Instead of grass this hill must have nails.

When I started funding directly I made sure that I had everything covered. Lawyers, collections, the process vetted by more experienced funding houses, etc. Going in blind is completely idiotic.
    Tommy Stein

MCA not a loan.
    Yes it is. On it's face and by pure definition:

loan
    lōn/Submit
    noun
    1. a thing that is borrowed, especially a sum of money that is expected to be paid back with interest.
    "borrowers can take out a loan for $84,000"
    synonyms: credit, advance; More

Quote Originally Posted by FUNd View Post
    Yes it is.
    debanked.com/2016/06/merchant-cash-advance-definitely-not-a-loan-new-york-judge-rules/
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

debanked.com/2016/06/merchant-cash-advance-definitely-not-a-loan-new-york-judge-rules/
    I don't care what some lower court judge's ruling was, that does not end the debate.