PayPal rates
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Senior Member Reputation points: 4603

PayPal rates

Client just showed me the doc's to a $97k funding offered to them by PayPal that is an effective 12 month 1.06 inclusive of the origination fee. Before fees it looks like a 1.03 on the contract. 97k PB $100k

Luckily they need more, we have an pretty aggressive 18 month buy rate, and we have won the deal, but wow is that a rate or what offered by PP.

Veteran Reputation points: 159073 J.Celifarco's Avatar

is that a fixed cost of 6% or is it an accruing interest rate like a credit card.. That seems impossible
    John Celifarco
    Managing Partner
    Horizon Funding Group

3423 Ave S
    Brooklyn, NY 11234
    T: (347) 773-3990 | F: (718) 795-1990
    Linkedin: Profile
    Email: john@horizonfundinggroup.com

I know that's what I thought. But I read it on the contract myself. Check it out:
    Attached Images Attached Images

what is daily repayment % is that gross holdback? They are taking 20% of a person total gross sales? wow

I would read the whole contract because sounds to me like there has to be some kind of a catch. Just seems to good to be true
    John Celifarco
    Managing Partner
    Horizon Funding Group

3423 Ave S
    Brooklyn, NY 11234

In this circumstance it's irrelevant because they aren't going with them. However I read it and that's the deal as I see it. As crazy as it sounds. And yes a 20% split on their PP transactions, which in this case is only 20% of the companies gross so it's really only a holdback of 4% of their actual revenue. So if the funding amount was useful to them this product is unbeatable.

Senior Member Reputation points: 903 Scott Williams's Avatar

1.06% 12 month total cost is usually what American Express also charges on their advance. Seems like a comparable program

Senior Member Reputation points: 12878

Quite a few processing companies will offer their merchants an advance with these types of terms. A lot of times it is an at cost offer to keep the merchant from applying everywhere and getting the "well if you switch your processor to me..."

Especially considering the residuals are where processors really make their money

this is paypal not a processor though
    John Celifarco
    Managing Partner
    Horizon Funding Group

3423 Ave S
    Brooklyn, NY 11234

Senior Member Reputation points: 12878

Paypall has a similar business model, operating as a platform to exchange funds between parties and with their popularity I am sure they have enough capital they are still making some money off of these offers. Albeit they are not making a substantial amount with these rates, but considering advances are not their primary means of revenue generation I would not be surprised if they just offered this as an incentive to keep utilizing them over the dozens of other programs any consumer/business can use to exchange funds

Senior Member Reputation points: 305505

Quote Originally Posted by J.Celifarco View Post
    this is paypal not a processor though
    i thought paypal does processing also

if they do I didnt know it
    John Celifarco
    Managing Partner
    Horizon Funding Group

3423 Ave S
    Brooklyn, NY 11234

Senior Member Reputation points: 23750

Quote Originally Posted by J.Celifarco View Post
    if they do I didnt know it
    How can you be in this industry and not know that Paypal is a payment processing company and one of the largest acquirers in the world???

Senior Member Reputation points: 99426

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    How can you be in this industry and not know that Paypal is a payment processing company and one of the largest acquirers in the world???
    Paypal is a payment gateway, NOT a payment processor/acquirer. Acquirers/acquirer banks are registered members of a card network, such as Mastercard and VISA. But of course you should already know that.
    Last edited by MCNetwork; 06-30-2016 at 05:54 PM.

Senior Member Reputation points: 23750

Quote Originally Posted by MCNetwork View Post
    Paypal is a payment gateway, NOT a payment processor/acquirer. Acquirers/acquirer banks are registered members of a card network, such as Mastercard and VISA. But of course you should already know that.
    I guess their in store payment acceptance (terminals, face to face swipe) is a gateway as well, correct it's not. Paypal is so much more than a gateway.

Paypal acts as the merchant account, gateway, and processor.

PayPal Holdings, Inc. is an American company operating a worldwide online payments system. Online money transfers serve as electronic alternatives to traditional paper methods like checks and money orders. PayPal is one of the world's largest Internet payment companies.[6] The company operates as an acquirer, performing payment processing for online vendors, auction sites and other commercial users, for which it charges a fee.

In this sense, to “acquire” means to “accept” payments. So, an Acquirer is a banking partner for businesses. They take the risk that you’re going to be a trustworthy merchant (aka underwriting).

Any other questions let me know

Interesting that WebBank is funding them.

"PayPal Working Capital is subject to credit approval, as determined by the lender, WebBank, a Utah-chartered Industrial Bank, member FDIC. To apply for PayPal Working Capital, your business must have a PayPal business or premier account for at least 3 months and process between $20,000 and $10 million within those 3 months or within any time period less than or equal to 12 months. PayPal sales include processing on PayPal Express checkout, PayPal Payments Standard, PayPal Payments Pro, and PayPal Here."

A forum user Reputation points: 2147483647 Sean Cash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    Nothing weird about it. WebBank is the bank behind the majority of non-bank lenders in this industry.

Veteran Reputation points: 135672 Chambo's Avatar

Can't Paypal use both CC and bank transactions via Paypal though?

Senior Member Reputation points: 52185 ADiamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post

"PayPal Working Capital is subject to credit approval, as determined by the lender, WebBank, a Utah-chartered Industrial Bank, member FDIC.
    so webbank does all of the UW for the companies that it funds for? or just paypal? or is that statement incorrect?

because i thought most of the lenders that use webbank basically just let them fund the contract then they buy the receivable from webbank so they dont have to be licensed. or vice-versa.
    Anthony Diamond
    Underwriter

Banned Reputation points: 17587

Quote Originally Posted by ADiamond View Post
    so webbank does all of the UW for the companies that it funds for? or just paypal? or is that statement incorrect?

because i thought most of the lenders that use webbank basically just let them fund the contract then they buy the receivable from webbank so they dont have to be licensed. or vice-versa.
    ...pretty sure it's the latter

A forum user Reputation points: 2147483647 Sean Cash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    ...pretty sure it's the latter
    The "lender" does all the underwriting. WebBank issues the loan that the "lender" approves. The "lender" then buys the loan immediately from WebBank. If that sounds a bit wacky, you wouldn't be the first to think that.

Basically, in order to get by the usury laws in all 50 states in one fell swoop, you need a state or nationally chartered bank to make the loans for you.

Banned Reputation points: 17587

Quote Originally Posted by sean bash View Post
    The "lender" does all the underwriting. WebBank issues the loan that the "lender" approves. The "lender" then buys the loan immediately from WebBank. If that sounds a bit wacky, you wouldn't be the first to think that.

Basically, in order to get by the usury laws in all 50 states in one fell swoop, you need a state or nationally chartered bank to make the loans for you.
    makes perfect sense

Senior Member Reputation points: 99426

I wonder what Webbank makes on the transaction

Looks like a 1.08 to me unless I'm missing something. Still pretty impressive

I wonder what Webbank makes on the transaction
    Depends on the lender, but I've read anywhere between 25-50 bps as an "origination" fee plus any that may have accrued for the time they held the loan.