1st Timer - New Job - MCA Closer - Advice thread
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Good Morning all you beautiful people,

Little backstory ----
    One of my best friends as been working as a MCA sales closer for about 2 years and makes a good 80-100k a year.
    After having a long conversation about his job and industry as a whole -- i decided i wanted to do it.

I have 0 sales experience. I'm a former student athlete, and been making big money as a Server for about 2 years, with experience in mortgage loans and residential real estate.

-----

I applied for a position in So Cal, the job pays 55k base + comm.
    My biggest barrier is no experience,

So i sold this company very well to take a chance on me, and they agreed.
    I offered to start on commission only, to prove myself, and they accepted.

So i start this job next month.
    The company itself works in merchant services but is just starting out in the MCA field.
    They're hiring around 5 people, and ill be one of them.

So DailyFunder, Give me all the advice you can on starting out, anything and everything that will helpful.

I have no sales experience, but an unparalleled work ethic.
    so i believe i will do very well

Senior Member Reputation points: 23718

Wait, you're brand new with zero experience and even though you were offered an almost $5,000 a month base salary to start, you insisted in coming on board on straight commission with no base salary to "prove yourself"? I don't get it.

Also, I have never heard of an MCA company offering such a base salary, much less to a brand new rep with no sales experience.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNd View Post
    Wait, you're brand new with zero experience and even though you were offered an almost $5,000 a month base salary to start, you insisted in coming on board on straight commission with no base salary to "prove yourself"? I don't get it.

Also, I have never heard of an MCA company offering such a base salary, much less to a brand new rep with no sales experience.

No no no.

I applied for this job that is hiring experienced MCA sales people.
    it pays 55k base

they only interviewed because i sent them a really good email (cover letter if you will)

and i felt like the big base salary would ultimately making them pick someone else --- so i offered to do it commission only to start

---

would appreciate any and all advice though Mr Fund

Senior Member Reputation points: 47257

Good luck, your super late to the game. Only thing you might have going for you is if the merchant services company has their own in house accounts they will give you for leads.
    The industry is saturated, and there is no room, especially with no sales experience.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    Good luck, your super late to the game. Only thing you might have going for you is if the merchant services company has their own in house accounts they will give you for leads.
    The industry is saturated, and there is no room, especially with no sales experience.

Well you know, my friend started out the same way and made 100k his first year, 2 years ago.

Basically, and with all due respect, if you attitude is, that it can't be done, you might as well kill yourself

so im a believer

Quote Originally Posted by DylanJames View Post
    No no no.

I applied for this job that is hiring experienced MCA sales people.
    it pays 55k base

they only interviewed because i sent them a really good email (cover letter if you will)

and i felt like the big base salary would ultimately making them pick someone else --- so i offered to do it commission only to start

---

would appreciate any and all advice though Mr Fund
    Oh. I don't have much advice except you should really be getting a base, even if it's minimum wage. It will take you a while to get rolling, and unless you have substantial savings, it will be very rough. This is no longer an easy way to make."six-figures", and anyone who tells you different is flat out lying to you. It takes tons of time and patience to get there, and with this competitive market...well...good luck man. I truly hope it works out for you.

Senior Member Reputation points: 158630

FYI: You were not hired, and you do not have a job. You might have access to a chair and a phone however. Good. It likely will go something like this:

You:"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know."

Cali Lama: "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So you have that going for you. But it sucks right now for new entrants.

Oh. I don't have much advice except you should really be getting a base, even if it's minimum wage. It will take you a while to get rolling, and unless you have substantial savings, it will be very rough. This is no longer an easy way to make."six-figures", and anyone who tells you different is flat out lying to you. It takes tons of time and patience to get there, and with this competitive market...well...good luck man. I truly hope it works out for you.

i have seen first hand a good friend of mine do very very well in this business.

On top of that, i have 10x the work ethic of this friend of mine

So ill grind it out, and if it can be done, then ill get it done

DylanJames,
    Go for it my friend. Your energy and passion will get you where you want to be. Remember, 99% of us in here are your competitors. So it is normal to hear all the push back advices from us. But I will wish you the best.

On top of that, i have 10x the work ethic of this friend of mine
    Really? You work TEN TIMES harder than your friend? So I take it if he's making 50-100 calls a day, pretty typical in this industry (on the low end actually), you'll be making 500-1000 calls a day? I appreciate your wide eyes and big appetite, you're tired of slinging hash and want to hit it big, but I would enter with some realistic expectations, especially with no sales experience. You'll be competing against some guys who can figuratively see though walls and around corners.

Really? You work TEN TIMES harder than your friend? So I take it if he's making 50-100 calls a day, pretty typical in this industry (on the low end actually), you'll be making 500-1000 calls a day? I appreciate your wide eyes and big appetite, you're tired of slinging hash and want to hit it big, but I would enter with some realistic expectations, especially with no sales experience. You'll be competing against some guys who can figuratively see though walls and around corners.

Fund

Here's where I'm coming from here.

i was a full time student athlete.
    i got injured and had to take the year off, so i worked full time at a restaurant.

i was working 5-6 days a week 10+ hour days Nonstop.

and raking in 7-8k a month.

so I'm bringing that level of commitment to this, thats all I'm saying

You'll work 10+ hours a day again too, and 6 or 7 days a week to make about the same. It's not a free ride bud.

You'll work 10+ hours a day again too, and 6 or 7 days a week to make about the same. It's not a free ride bud.

You can build a book of business in this industry, you can't build a book of business waiting tables.

one way or the another you're not going to change my mind my friend

As an athlete you kill yourself everyday to be the best --- and you do it for free.

i don't mind paying my dues

You can build a book of business in this industry, you can't build a book of business waiting tables.

one way or the another you're not going to change my mind my friend

As an athlete you kill yourself everyday to be the best --- and you do it for free.

i don't mind paying my dues
    Lol OK. I'm signing off for the night. You sound like you have the eye of the tiger, go get em!

Senior Member Reputation points: 8656

http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/Filing_a_Claim.htm

I'll save you a google search for when you quit after one week.
    Tommy Stein

Senior Member Reputation points: 118256 ridextreme's Avatar

Well you know, my friend started out the same way and made 100k his first year, 2 years ago.

Basically, and with all due respect, if you attitude is, that it can't be done, you might as well kill yourself

so im a believer
    You have zero sales experience, have no knowledge of this industry whatsoever, a punk attitude, and you come on DF to show everyone your cocky ego for what reason? Are you God's gift to the world or something?

I have news for you, this isn't 2008 it's 2016. There is no such thing as "building a book of business" anymore because your deals are going to be called dozens of times per day and when you call them to renew, they're either multi stacked (do you know what this means? If not, ask you buddy) or they're already in another deal.

Senior Member Reputation points: 903 Scott Williams's Avatar

Very surprised to hear that there are companies paying a 55k base plus commission. That is a huge base number.
    Last edited by Scott Williams; 06-12-2016 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ridextreme View Post
    You have zero sales experience, have no knowledge of this industry whatsoever, a punk attitude, and you come on DF to show everyone your cocky ego for what reason? Are you God's gift to the world or something?

I have news for you, this isn't 2008 it's 2016. There is no such thing as "building a book of business" anymore because your deals are going to be called dozens of times per day and when you call them to renew, they're either multi stacked (do you know what this means? If not, ask you buddy) or they're already in another deal.
    Well i definitely didn't come to DF to **** all over someone asking for help

what is the real reason that most of you are absolute assholes

Senior Member Reputation points: 118256 ridextreme's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Williams View Post
    Very surprised to hear that there are companies paying a 55k base plus commission. That is a huge base number.
    The "plus commission" is probably minuscule.

Senior Member Reputation points: 903 Scott Williams's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ridextreme View Post
    The "plus commission" is probably minuscule.
    True, but you still have other expenses. The misc cost of that salesperson using a desk at your office. Plus, I would assume there is some type of data/leads they are giving. Just seems likes a huge amount of money to give a salespersons as a base for our industry

jotucker1983
    One of my best friends as been working as a MCA sales closer for about 2 years and makes a good 80-100k a year.
    After having a long conversation about his job and industry as a whole -- i decided i wanted to do it.
    Based on what? Based solely on the fact that he told you (people can lie as well BTW) he was making a certain amount? Did he give you any particulars such as:

- The type of business plan in place? Such as does his company have a very large marketing budget, do they have a strategic network setup to get a lot of leads, are they doing some sort of specialized targeted calling?

- Are they pushing 1st position A, B, C, or D Paper, or 2nd - 11th positions?

Did you get any particulars? Did you also do any other research on this industry using the vast amount of information on Daily Funder, deBanked, Google, and other resources to determine if this is an industry to come in right now....and....develop some sort of business plan to acquire new accounts?

Or, did you just "hear" from somebody that they were making around 6 figures and all they quote, unquote have to do is come in, sit down, and start dialing businesses?

I have 0 sales experience. I'm a former student athlete, and been making big money as a Server for about 2 years, with experience in mortgage loans and residential real estate.

I applied for a position in So Cal, the job pays 55k base + comm.
    My biggest barrier is no experience,
    Your biggest problems do not include anything in relation to not having sales experience, your biggest problems are:

- You are entering a very saturated market
    - You have no unique value you are bringing to the market to separate yourself from others
    - You have absolutely no business plan in place on how you are going to acquire accounts
    - You have absolutely no marketing capital
    - You have absolutely no networks
    - You are living in a VERY high cost of living area

Now, you did say you would be doing this for another company, are they going to provide you with a marketing budget, leads, or anything of the sort? Or, are they just going to have you randomly cold-call out of the Yellow Pages?

If the strategy is to randomly cold-call out of the Yellow Pages, listen to my advice and go do something else.

Well, I'm not sure what company you are referring to, but I can tell you that most companies in this space will hire anybody with a heartbeat and pulse on 100% commission. The barrier to entry is VERY low, matter of fact, there's no barrier to entry, any stray dog can just come walking on in here.

i was working 5-6 days a week 10+ hour days Nonstop.

and raking in 7-8k a month.

so I'm bringing that level of commitment to this, thats all I'm saying
    No, take that level of committment BACK to what you were doing before making about $8,000 a month unless you are coming in here with a marketing budget, strategic networks or some sort of exclusive big data resources.

I'm serious.

Sir, you don't know anything about how to build a book of business in this industry because if you DID, you wouldn't be running into it empty handed with no UVP, no capital, no networks, no data, etc., which are the tools NEEDED to build a book of business in this industry.

That's nice and cute, but in this world, "positive affirmations" mean nothing. Either you have the tools and resources to acquire clients, or you don't.

DylanJames - don't mind all of them the industry is changing and they are just disgruntled and upset their income isn't shat it use to be.and they are taking it out on the new guy with ambition. I personally respect your attitude and that's what it will take to succeed in this game at this point as the easy days are long gone.

If you weren't on the other coast I would offer you a job in my shop in a heartbeat just off your attitude and mindset alone. I can teach you this business but I can't teach those 2 traits and no one can have ah real success without them.

I run a large shop and have trained many reps so if you need some advice I would be happy to get on a call with you and give you some tips that can really shorten your learning curve. Just PM me

Dude, keep that attitude. I usually stay under the radar on this site. Some of these cats are so complacent they forgot what got them there. Sure it's going to be rough. If you listen to these folks on this site you might as well fold up your tent. I've been in this business since 2002 worked for AdvanceMe and started out just like you. On a slow month I can make 15k, if I double down the commissions are sick. So, young man like PatrickMTKT said your passion is awesome and your confidence level are on point. Go for it DylanJames. Much luck in your endeavors.

Be Profitable,

KQ