What Will Happen With e-Prodigy in all this?
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Senior Member Reputation points: 290 1StopFunding's Avatar

Last edited by 1StopFunding; 05-22-2016 at 09:35 AM.
    Cheryl Tibbs- General Manager
    Equipment LeaseCo Inc
    www.equipmentleaseco.com

Senior Member Reputation points: 32550 Funder Mark's Avatar

I wonder if this is part of the reason Everest is stopping their longer term deals, because they know the good time is ending...

Senior Member Reputation points: 24139

Quote Originally Posted by Funder Mark View Post
    I wonder if this is part of the reason Everest is stopping their longer term deals, because they know the good time is ending...
    Thanks for sharing Cheryl.

re: Everest: As I understood it, their average transaction (9 months ago) was 5 months 1.41, with a double dip (so really 3.5 months on deals that renewed). On a short term/high rate product, you can "underwrite" (or better stated, price) to a reasonably high degree on a pool basis, and they made strong returns operating that way. But that's not how longer term, lower rate underwriting works -- you actually need to underwrite each deal on the viability of the business, not just their likelihood to make payments for 4 months, and offer a product that won't put the business underwater. It's very hard to apply a high risk underwriting/approval model to a longer term, lower rate product -- but makes sense that they tried it given what's coming on the regulatory side (rate caps aren't coming, but proving "product suitability", "ability to pay", or some other form of debt trap prevention absolutely is), and going longer term/lower rate was the only way to make that company "sellable".

Someone on this site said that they were getting slaughtered on that product, and frankly, it's not surprising. And the % of ACTUAL revenue they take when they stack us is frequently absolutely nuts, so really would be interested to know what underwriting model they are applying to the longer term product....
    Last edited by Cfairbank; 05-22-2016 at 02:24 PM.
    Carl Fairbank
    Founder & CEO boldMODE
    www.boldmode.com
    Carl@boldmode.com
    Founder & former CEO of Breakout Capital (sold to SecurCapital in 2019)
    www.breakoutfinance.com

Senior Member Reputation points: 307559

Quote Originally Posted by Cfairbank View Post
    Thanks for sharing Cheryl.

re: Everest: As I understood it, their average transaction (9 months ago) was 5 months 1.41, with a double dip (so really 3.5 months on deals that renewed). On a short term/high rate product, you can "underwrite" (or better stated, price) to a reasonably high degree on a pool basis, and they made strong returns operating that way. But that's not how longer term, lower rate underwriting works -- you actually need to underwrite each deal on the viability of the business, not just their likelihood to make payments for 4 months, and offer a product that won't put the business underwater. It's very hard to apply a high risk underwriting/approval model to a longer term, lower rate product -- but makes sense that they tried it given what's coming on the regulatory side (rate caps aren't coming, but proving "product suitability", "ability to pay", or some other form of debt trap prevention absolutely is), and going longer term/lower rate was the only way to make that company "sellable".

Someone on this site said that they were getting slaughtered on that product, and frankly, it's not surprising. And the % of ACTUAL revenue they take when they stack us is frequently absolutely nuts, so really would be interested to know what underwriting model they are applying to the longer term product....
    Don't buy it . I have a couple and performing great . Now they did just add coj to all contracts . So not sure

Quote Originally Posted by Michael I View Post
    Don't buy it . I have a couple and performing great . Now they did just add coj to all contracts . So not sure
    Think about what the default rate needs to be on a 1.41 product to be profitable on a cohort basis, double digit defaults you are perfectly fine -- the goal there is just pushing through as much volume as you can. 1.15x rate (at a year long that's upper 20s effective APR), you need to be very good at evaluating risk, especially if you are also sending out 15% up front in commissions.
    Carl Fairbank
    Founder & CEO boldMODE
    www.boldmode.com
    Carl@boldmode.com
    www.breakoutfinance.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cfairbank View Post
    Think about what the default rate needs to be on a 1.41 product to be profitable on a cohort basis, double digit defaults you are perfectly fine -- the goal there is just pushing through as much volume as you can. 1.15x rate (at a year long that's upper 20s effective APR), you need to be very good at evaluating risk, especially if you are also sending out 15% up front in commissions.
    You have early defaults on even a relatively small portion of a pool at lower rates, you will be underwater, not to mention covering funding or operating costs.
    Carl Fairbank
    Founder & CEO boldMODE
    www.boldmode.com
    Carl@boldmode.com
    www.breakoutfinance.com

Senior Member Reputation points: 54989

Article Quoted "EProdigy was incorporated in New York on December 31, 2014, just months before it received the $100 million investment"

My guess is they were approved for a line up to 100M i think it may be misleading that they got 100M infusion into company as it states in the article ... I've been wrong before....
    Marcus Clapman | Business Development | Cresthill Capital
    (High Commissions Payout Group)
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    Tel: 917-521-6528 | Fax: 212.671.1473
    Email: bizdev@cresthillcapital.com
    http://www.cresthillcapital.com

isn't eprodigy the same company as capital stack?

Quote Originally Posted by fundmcas View Post
    isn't eprodigy the same company as capital stack?
    Yep.