Signs of an Industry in Decline?
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Signs of an Industry in Decline?

The merchant cash advance industry seems to be nearing some sort of transformation period if you will... I've been looking at the industry from two lenses and the picture doesn't look that pretty.

The two drivers of what I presume to be the ultimate "transformation" of the industry are:

1. Failure to Grow.

According to Bloomberg in 2015, market penetration stood around 1%. This is the same number as 2013 and 2011. However, the industry size has expanded - a ton. How do you grow an industry while the market fails to expand? We all know the answer.

Additionally, fewer and fewer businesses are starting. So, supply of merchants in this market that has failed to expand is dwindling. Finally, there's a massive recession nearing I think Goldman pegs it at a 50/50 shot, I think it's more like 100%

2. Low Grade "Professionals."

Anybody off the street can become an MCA broker almost literally. That has attracted some pretty shady characters. I get an e-mail from a scumbag a day, almost literally. Nonetheless, the average independent MCA broker relies on the following devices to survive:

• Lying & Con Games: In this case they're mostly trying to con merchants out of fees, other brokers out of deals, and marketing companies / lead vendors out of leads.
    • Inflated Egos: When you have no real skill or anything of real value to offer society, you inflate your own ego I guess. Most small time, mom and pop brokers rely on ego to maintain their self worth. So in this sense, they actually take pride in stealing, conning, or lying to folks. When this scum bag behavior works, it boosts their ego. "My scumbaggery just got me a buck! I'm good at this scum bag stuff, man did my ego just take a boost!" It's a sick and pernicious cycle.

To be fair, not all small time brokers have egos. They have no pride and thus they will beg, plead, and offer all sorts of things that have no value for help getting ahead. These are often fun for me to deal with.

They'll beg me for leads and I've recently been telling brokers like this to send me a video of them on all fours barking like a dog, and tag it with their ISO name / logo. Then, I'll send them leads. I know for a fact that AT LEAST one will take me up on this because it seems everyday the desperation level is getting higher and higher..

What do you guys think? Where do you see the industry in 2 years?

jotucker1983
    I agree 100% with the "failure to grow" analysis, but I think the comments about the "average" independent MCA broker surviving based solely on lying, conning, and other unethical procedures, is a bit overboard.

In two years I think this industry will still be around but I believe it will continue to evolve in such a fashion as to where more integrations with traditional networks, systems and players take place.

Quote Originally Posted by YuliyaG View Post
    To be fair, not all small time brokers have egos. They have no pride and thus they will beg, plead, and offer all sorts of things that have no value for help getting ahead. These are often fun for me to deal with.

They'll beg me for leads and I've recently been telling brokers like this to send me a video of them on all fours barking like a dog, and tag it with their ISO name / logo. Then, I'll send them leads. I know for a fact that AT LEAST one will take me up on this because it seems everyday the desperation level is getting higher and higher..
    So you complain about the egos of some of the people you have had to deal with and then follow it up with one of the most egotistical things I've ever read on this forum? Classy move. It makes it tough to lend credence to anything else you said before that little gem.

Senior Member Reputation points: 23702

The merchant cash advance industry seems to be nearing some sort of transformation period if you will... I've been looking at the industry from two lenses and the picture doesn't look that pretty.

The two drivers of what I presume to be the ultimate "transformation" of the industry are:

1. Failure to Grow.

According to Bloomberg in 2015, market penetration stood around 1%. This is the same number as 2013 and 2011. However, the industry size has expanded - a ton. How do you grow an industry while the market fails to expand? We all know the answer.

Additionally, fewer and fewer businesses are starting. So, supply of merchants in this market that has failed to expand is dwindling. Finally, there's a massive recession nearing I think Goldman pegs it at a 50/50 shot, I think it's more like 100%

2. Low Grade "Professionals."

Anybody off the street can become an MCA broker almost literally. That has attracted some pretty shady characters. I get an e-mail from a scumbag a day, almost literally. Nonetheless, the average independent MCA broker relies on the following devices to survive:

• Lying & Con Games: In this case they're mostly trying to con merchants out of fees, other brokers out of deals, and marketing companies / lead vendors out of leads.
    • Inflated Egos: When you have no real skill or anything of real value to offer society, you inflate your own ego I guess. Most small time, mom and pop brokers rely on ego to maintain their self worth. So in this sense, they actually take pride in stealing, conning, or lying to folks. When this scum bag behavior works, it boosts their ego. "My scumbaggery just got me a buck! I'm good at this scum bag stuff, man did my ego just take a boost!" It's a sick and pernicious cycle.

What do you guys think? Where do you see the industry in 2 years?
    If you don't like it, leave, and take about 500 of these one and 2 man chop shops with you.

Senior Member Reputation points: 116856 ridextreme's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FUNd View Post
    If you don't like it, leave, and take about 500 of these one and 2 man chop shops with you.
    +1

complain complain complain.

Anybody off the street can become an MCA broker almost literally. That has attracted some pretty shady characters.
    so if you're suggesting you are so over qualified to be in this space, what are you doing here than?

Or is the pot calling the kettle black?

Senior Member Reputation points: 2126

LOL Probably one of the funniest things I have read here.. Why would she even post that...

Member Reputation points: 1055 arezalmighty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by biggr View Post
    LOL Probably one of the funniest things I have read here.. Why would she even post that...
    She's a narcissist.

Veteran Reputation points: 159073 J.Celifarco's Avatar

How do you know it is going to be a good week? You log into to daily funder on a monday and see this Gem of a post.

HAPPY MONDAY
    John Celifarco
    Managing Partner
    Horizon Funding Group

3423 Ave S
    Brooklyn, NY 11234
    T: (347) 773-3990 | F: (718) 795-1990
    Linkedin: Profile
    Email: john@horizonfundinggroup.com

Senior Member Reputation points: 8656

Go back to selling Yeezys with that mindset...
    Tommy Stein

Senior Member Reputation points: 7360

Really makes you want to do business with this lady, eh? The good news is you are showing yourself for who you really are. Makes it easier to decide whether or not anyone here would want to work with you.
    Last edited by dpFund; 05-16-2016 at 11:05 AM.

Senior Member Reputation points: 16720

Where do you see the industry in 2 years?
    Without you in it, hopefully.
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Reputation points: 4530

Lying & Con Games: In this case they're mostly trying to con merchants out of fees, other brokers out of deals, and marketing companies / lead vendors out of leads.
    Inflated Egos: When you have no real skill or anything of real value to offer society, you inflate your own ego I guess. Most small time, mom and pop brokers rely on ego to maintain their self worth. So in this sense, they actually take pride in stealing, conning, or lying to folks. When this scum bag behavior works, it boosts their ego. "My scumbaggery just got me a buck! I'm good at this scum bag stuff, man did my ego just take a boost!" It's a sick and pernicious cycle.

Is this autobiographical material?

Senior Member Reputation points: 33996

What do I think? Send me a video of yourself on all fours barking like a dog" and I'll tell you.

Senior Member Reputation points: 2126

Just ask Oprah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member Reputation points: 52185 ADiamond's Avatar

According to Bloomberg in 2015, market penetration stood around 1%. This is the same number as 2013 and 2011. However, the industry size has expanded - a ton.
    please post a reference to your data for this statistic, i am sincerely interested in reading about it.
    Anthony Diamond
    Underwriter

Veteran Reputation points: 135672 Chambo's Avatar

Interesting, because at the LEND-IT conference in April, they are/were saying that we have just begun to scratch the surface and they expect the overall industry, personal and business, to triple in the 3-5 years

Senior Member Reputation points: 305505

Quote Originally Posted by ADiamond View Post
    please post a reference to your data for this statistic, i am sincerely interested in reading about it.
    i will like to see the video of the iso on all 4 barking

Senior Member Reputation points: 16720

Quote Originally Posted by ADiamond View Post
    189722.gif
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt

Senior Member Reputation points: 8592

Quote Originally Posted by CreditGuy View Post
    Without you in it, hopefully.
    Daily Funder presents : "The Roast of YuliyaG" with your roastmaster for the evening, CreditGuy.
    Second place? Set of steak knives.

Senior Member Reputation points: 54977

Ill tell you one thing Yuliya..Perception is everything!! if you feel that way your going to struggle making a living in our space. You make it seem like we are manufacturing "knuckle busters" that merchants used to use when accepting credit card with a slip of paper they would scrape credit card to make an imprint.

I can tell you at Cresthill Capital we are growing submissions and funding amounts by the day and believe the top players are seeing the same results.
    Last edited by mcaguru; 05-16-2016 at 01:21 PM.
    Marcus Clapman | Business Development | Cresthill Capital
    (High Commissions Payout Group)
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    Tel: 917-521-6528 | Fax: 212.671.1473
    Email: bizdev@cresthillcapital.com
    http://www.cresthillcapital.com

--
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Senior Member Reputation points: 23702

Quote Originally Posted by mcaguru View Post
    "knuckle busters"
    Sounds like the title of an adult film.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNd View Post
    Sounds like the title of an adult film.
    I wouldn't know.
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Starting to think she may be trolling us... just like her cohort used to do before getting banned. What was his name? The one with similar awful posts?

I think she was just advertising her services and if that's the case she can apply for the "Geniuses World Record" on the most indirect AD ever posted.
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧