Write letters??? Oh Gosh no!!
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Banned Reputation points: 306

Post Write letters??? Oh Gosh no!!

I tried to attach an image here, but the file is too large so you can click here to get a visual of what I am talking about..

After stopping by the Daily Funder office to grab a copy of the new mag, I got into a conversation with another gentleman who had stopped for the same purposes. We got into this debate about marketing for a moment, and I mentioned that an ideal (cheap) way to begin testing some stuff he was working on, would be to start with writing hand written letters.

His reaction was like; "write letters??? are you crazy?"

So after I left the office - I hopped over to check on some mail at another building. Lo and behold, I had a letter. Once again - you can click here to check out the photo.

I sent a guy an e-mail back in November. Not a letter - keep that in mind.

By December I had shut the whole broker thing down, so the phone line and site referenced in the e-mail were no longer working.

This diligent merchant decided that he would do everything he could to hunt me down and have me get his commission check. So, he looked up my address via my e-mail marketing company, printed out my e-mail, and wrote me a letter back.

I was blown away. Why in the world didn't he just give up? Why would he go through all that friction to mail me a letter in the hopes that I was still in business to help him get a business loan, when he had tons of options?

When I tracked him down, he told me simply; "I just thought you deserved it more than the other brokers..." As you brokers slug it out to get deals done - think about that. You can structure words to nuke your competition and boost your end conversion rate.

Anyway, I was literally 4 days too late. He tried tho!

Senior Member Reputation points: 3217 CO1's Avatar

Hmmm. I wonder how many people on this form took the guys information from the Letter and called this guy from yesterday to today to see if they can do anything for him or even stack?

A forum user Reputation points: 2147483647 Sean Cash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CO1 View Post
    Hmmm. I wonder how many people on this form took the guys information from the Letter and called this guy from yesterday to today to see if they can do anything for him or even stack?
    I was thinking that too lol. Jay maybe you should've blurred that info out

Quote Originally Posted by CO1 View Post
    Dogs lack pride and are happy to eat scraps.
    Last edited by JayBallentine; 01-30-2014 at 07:22 PM.

Member Reputation points: 10

Talking funny!

Quote Originally Posted by sean bash View Post
    I was thinking that too lol. Jay maybe you should've blurred that info out

too funny!!!

Senior Member Reputation points: 3217 CO1's Avatar

That's harsh.

I shared this story with my co-founder. The reaction was like; "that is powerful." My mom who isn't a marketer thought so too. I was blown away myself.

I posted here ready to engage with the Daily Funder community around this - to offer value with the expectation of nothing in return... as usual. It never crossed my mind that folks would ever pick up the phone and call the guy.

However, this post has taught me once and for all that I should cease to post anything remotely valuable here.

Jay, you have been in this space long enough to know that anyone in this business will eat their young for a commission.

I had the pleasure of watching Boiler Room again for the first time in years. I recognized a few folks from our industry...

Veteran Reputation points: 135672 Chambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown View Post
    Jay, you have been in this space long enough to know that anyone in this business will eat their young for a commission.

I had the pleasure of watching Boiler Room again for the first time in years. I recognized a few folks from our industry...
    People who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones

Member Reputation points: 131

Quote Originally Posted by JayBallentine View Post
    I shared this story with my co-founder. The reaction was like; "that is powerful." My mom who isn't a marketer thought so too. I was blown away myself.

I posted here ready to engage with the Daily Funder community around this - to offer value with the expectation of nothing in return... as usual. It never crossed my mind that folks would ever pick up the phone and call the guy.

However, this post has taught me once and for all that I should cease to post anything remotely valuable here.

I feel you. But understand, that tip is already being done by good reps. And bad reps, don't learn.