Taxmageddon and Selling Your Business 2012-2013....
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Taxmageddon and Selling Your Business 2012-2013....

More and more small businesses are selling or planning exit strategies. Will we see a fallout of funders in 2013? the set expiration of a low capital gains rate, threat of additional medicare taxes and healthcare costs, and changes to gift and real estate tax rules- are all reasons SMB's are on the fence about keeping their business going. All of the Bush Era tax cuts are set to expire. Depending on the presidential election folks, the current 15% capital gains rate could go back to 20% or higher resulting in a $50,000 increase in fed tax for every $1M in profit.

By 2014, businesses with 50 or more employees will be req to provide health care coverage or pay a penalty. this could depress a companys selling price -

Almost 4% more mom and pop businesses went for sale in Q1 in 2012 than prev year reaching its highest levels since 2008. (according to Bizbuysell.com)- these include restaurants, barbershops, dry cleaners, etc the mcas target-

It is becoming more and more expensive to run a business in the US- Thanks Big Gov!

this would seem to me that we are headed back into a recession, yet the markets and media seem dead set on believing otherwise lately. as for the health care costs, well if romney's elected, all those costs would be repealed right?

A forum user Reputation points: 2147483647 Sean Cash's Avatar

I'm voting red in a blue state today

well i'm shocked...

hopefully obamacare doesn't bankrupt all our merchants

Senior Member Reputation points: 148 Capital Stack's Avatar

Capital Markets tank first day after Obama relection on fears

Quote Originally Posted by cashman View Post
    well i'm shocked...

hopefully obamacare doesn't bankrupt all our merchants

Capital Markets tank first day after Obama re-election on fears he cant handle the Taxmageddon cliff.

Oh boy another 4 years of this...

it will get worse!

A forum user Reputation points: 2147483647 Sean Cash's Avatar

On the subject of Obamacare, businesses with less than 50 employees do not have to provide health insurance coverage. That's probably 95% of our merchants that aren't going to be affected by that directly.

Indirectly yes, since they will need to purchase health insurance for themselves and possibly increase the wages for their employees to help them cope with buying insurance also.

i think the question should be how do we creatively use our products to hedge against big governments assault on small business. we have a few months to start thinking outside the box and work with our merchants to come up with advanced strategies to give them more leverage. this product has it's limitations, but it's very flexible and can morph into what it needs to for the business and the merchant. we just have to put our thinking caps on and reinvent what we're able to do for them.