And So it Starts....
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Hybrid View

Banned Reputation points: 17587

Quote Originally Posted by J.Celifarco View Post
    The idea that everyone is doing that is ridiculous. It seems to me you have just picked some bad offices to work at.. For me I do not think charging a reasonable closing cost on a deal if wrong. That is me different people think different things. (under 5%) As to the other things that you say people do that is just wrong anyway you spin it. Fees charged in advance with no funding is theft plain and simple.
    There is no need for junk fees on the broker end. Kills client retention when they realize what has happened. Commission percentages are high enough, no need to be greedy.

Veteran Reputation points: 159073 J.Celifarco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    There is no need for junk fees on the broker end. Kills client retention when they realize what has happened. Commission percentages are high enough, no need to be greedy.
    deal to deal basis for me depending on the situation. As I said before if it is within reason I dont have a problem with it. If you are upfront with the merchant and they understand them I think it is fair, if you hide them that is a big problem
    John Celifarco
    Managing Partner
    Horizon Funding Group

3423 Ave S
    Brooklyn, NY 11234
    T: (347) 773-3990 | F: (718) 795-1990
    Linkedin: Profile
    Email: john@horizonfundinggroup.com

Senior Member Reputation points: 32550 Funder Mark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    Sometimes the insane fees are enough to kill deals on their own. One company I worked with had an underwriter who charged a 10% on ALL funding!! That kind of greed I never understood. If you are doing such high risk deals, charge a 1.5, don't give a 1.45 and then charge 10% as a fee on top.

Senior Member Reputation points: 23702

Quote Originally Posted by Funder Mark View Post
    Sometimes the insane fees are enough to kill deals on their own. One company I worked with had an underwriter who charged a 10% on ALL funding!! That kind of greed I never understood. If you are doing such high risk deals, charge a 1.5, don't give a 1.45 and then charge 10% as a fee on top.
    Greed will kill it all. Maybe I have found the wrong places to work at, but these were industry leaders in my area... They blatantly stole money from small business. I saw it. Every sales guy knew it on the floor...many of us quit...all I'm saying is it's going on as I speak, and merchants are getting pounded by fees, lies (as Kingsley astutely said), and all out greed.

If you charge a 1.45 and add a 10% fee along with 5 other junk fees, because you know a merchant is drowning, suffocating and will pay anything for air...don't fool yourself, you're no saint, you're a loan shark. And I hear that word all day long from merchants.

QUIT PATTING YOURSELF ON THE BACK, TELLING YOURSELF WHAT A GREAT "SALESPERSON" YOU ARE....these are desperate people, in hard times...and your 'suave'....isn't selling anything....the prospect of money sells itself, and at these rates, you can be a ****ing monkey with a check, and these desperate fools....will take it.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNd View Post
    Greed will kill it all. Maybe I have found the wrong places to work at, but these were industry leaders in my area... They blatantly stole money from small business. I saw it. Every sales guy knew it on the floor...many of us quit...all I'm saying is it's going on as I speak, and merchants are getting pounded by fees, lies (as Kingsley astutely said), and all out greed.

If you charge a 1.45 and add a 10% fee along with 5 other junk fees, because you know a merchant is drowning, suffocating and will pay anything for air...don't fool yourself, you're no saint, you're a loan shark. And I hear that word all day long from merchants.

QUIT PATTING YOURSELF ON THE BACK, TELLING YOURSELF WHAT A GREAT "SALESPERSON" YOU ARE....these are desperate people, in hard times...and your 'suave'....isn't selling anything....the prospect of money sells itself, and at these rates, you can be a ****ing monkey with a check, and these desperate fools....will take it.
    Agreed, we are selling the most sought after product there is, money.

Senior Member Reputation points: 10944

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLepkoski View Post
    Agreed, we are selling the most sought after product there is, money.
    Typically what I hear:
    Rep#1: Sir, can I take your order please?
    Merchant: I'll have your very expensive 25K please
    Rep#1: Coming right up with a 10% gratuity added
    Merchant: Okay, I have no choice
    REp#1: (to his coworkers) I am the single greatest salesman on the planet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyYSCISOdept View Post
    Typically what I hear:
    Rep#1: Sir, can I take your order please?
    Merchant: I'll have your very expensive 25K please
    Rep#1: Coming right up with a 10% gratuity added
    Merchant: Okay, I have no choice
    REp#1: (to his coworkers) I am the single greatest salesman on the planet!!!
    Goes a little something like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBeDPZiwZqQ