Rob Buchanan of InfoGroup review requested
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

A very motivated man, and not my intention to slow him down, but there has been a number of people noting that he charges very high prices without being able to back them up - while being very willing to hammer his competition. Buchanan is very eager to jump into any thread to take advantage of the free marketing.

Are his services fantastic? Are you purchasing more than once? Great leads? Please tell the rest of us how good he is.

I think part of the problem is the confusion of the term leads vs. data. Might seem minor, but think about it, when you hear "lead" you think "opportunity" right? From what I understand (and Rob please correct me if I am wrong), he offers data but when people buy they think they are leads...

Data (contact info) and leads are two separate things. If you're looking for high quality UCC data - that is affordable, current, and all that stuff, let me know!

Senior Member Reputation points: 2655

Quote Originally Posted by Moneyformerchant View Post
    A very motivated man, and not my intention to slow him down, but there has been a number of people noting that he charges very high prices without being able to back them up - while being very willing to hammer his competition. Buchanan is very eager to jump into any thread to take advantage of the free marketing.

Are his services fantastic? Are you purchasing more than once? Great leads? Please tell the rest of us how good he is.

What is your point of this post? What are you trying to get out of it? Are you trying to bag me and make me look bad or do you really want to know how good the products and services are that we offer?
    Rob Buchanan
    Data Axle
    402-836-1206
    rob.buchanan@data-axle.com

Quote Originally Posted by YuliyaG View Post
    I think part of the problem is the confusion of the term leads vs. data. Might seem minor, but think about it, when you hear "lead" you think "opportunity" right? From what I understand (and Rob please correct me if I am wrong), he offers data but when people buy they think they are leads...

Data (contact info) and leads are two separate things. If you're looking for high quality UCC data - that is affordable, current, and all that stuff, let me know!

There is no confusion on my end as to what is a lead and what is data. I have been doing this for a long time.
    Rob Buchanan
    Data Axle
    402-836-1206

Moneyformerchant…Your post makes me sound like I’m some guy selling leads out of my basement. When in fact I work for a large corporation with about 1800 employees.

The prices I present to potential customers do not come from me. They come from the corporate leaders high above me. Unfortunately we do not discount our UCC’s but who you see as our competition discounts theirs and or slashes their prices to try to take business away from us. Which is fine by me because that actually brings new business to me when the buyers of these reseller/data broker lists find out for themselves what they actually got for their money. But when it comes to business data/leads I have some room to negotiate with regards to price.

I never “hammer” competition. I actually do the opposite. If I think buying from a reseller or data broker is a better option for my customer I will point them in that direction. I have even given you the same advice on multiple occasions.

Sure I will jump into a thread (isn’t that what we do on an online forum) and offer my services or even offer an answer or solution to someone’s question or problem but what I ever post is never off topic for that tread.

These are not my services. These are services of my company. However if you are referring to my customer service well that is second to none.

There are quite a few of my customers on this forum. Do they post and tell you to buy from me? Not really ever, no. Why would anyone want to tell their competitor where or who they buy their data, leads and marking campaigns from?

Your post seems 100% about me and not my company. I see this post as you have some sort of personal issue with me. If that is the case give me a call and let’s talk about it. It’s a far better way to deal with the issue you have rather than try to put me on blast on a public forum…
    Rob Buchanan
    Data Axle
    402-836-1206

Rob. Bottom line is you are a hard worker. I respect that.

Member Reputation points: 20 Viper1's Avatar

I bought some UCC leads from him last year and a good 35-40% of the "leads" were garbage. Several bad phone numbers and several companies that had never had cash advance and many didn't even know anything about cash advances or working capital. I had my bank reverse the charges for the list. My bank did some research and called many of the leads as well and they agreed the leads were garbage and refunded my money. Robert threatened to take me into collections. I told him to go right ahead so we can fight it out in a public forum so everyone will know all about his "so-called leads". Other people may have had different experiences with Mr. Buchanan's leads and obviously I am just describing my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper1 View Post
    I bought some UCC leads from him last year and a good 35-40% of the "leads" were garbage. Several bad phone numbers and several companies that had never had cash advance and many didn't even know anything about cash advances or working capital. I had my bank reverse the charges for the list. My bank did some research and called many of the leads as well and they agreed the leads were garbage and refunded my money. Robert threatened to take me into collections. I told him to go right ahead so we can fight it out in a public forum so everyone will know all about his "so-called leads". Other people may have had different experiences with Mr. Buchanan's leads and obviously I am just describing my experience.

Keith,

I'm sorry you did not have the same success my other clients have. Hopefully you found something else that worked for you.
    Rob Buchanan
    Data Axle
    402-836-1206

jotucker1983
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper1 View Post
    I bought some UCC leads from him last year and a good 35-40% of the "leads" were garbage. Several bad phone numbers and several companies that had never had cash advance and many didn't even know anything about cash advances or working capital.
    While I don't speak for Rob or Infogroup, you have to realize that when you buy records from these companies you are not buying "leads", you are simply buying "data". Infogroup is a data company (www.infogroup.com/about-infogroup).

When you buy data, you are looking for at least 70% of the data to be what it's promoted to be, for example if they are UCC records, then the listings should be at least 70% accurate in terms of 70% of the records being actual merchants who took out the MCAs at the stated filing date, as well as the contact information for said merchant being up to date. It's impossible to have a 100% accuracy rate with data because business information updates and changes very frequently.

There's a number of places to buy data, but in my opinion you should only buy it from actual data compiling companies rather than 3rd party sellers. Data compiling companies usually house hundreds of employees and use a variety of public/private/survey based resources to compile the data. That data is then what's sold to the general marketplace.

After you buy that data, it's up to you to determine how to convert a percentage of the data records into leads, and a percentage of your leads into revenue.

The terminology of "UCC leads" is what's misleading, the reps from Infogroup who post on these Forums should use the proper terminology (in my opinion) as to not confuse agents/brokers as to what they are actually selling.
    Last edited by jotucker1983; 07-23-2015 at 10:33 AM.

I think everyone has a differnet idea as to what is a sales lead. Here are a few reuslts from the first page of a Google search for "what is a sales lead".

en.wikipedia.org - A sales lead is the Identification data of a person or entity that has the interest, authority and budget (i.e. money) to purchase a product or service. This step represents the first stage of a sales process. The identification of the sales lead is referred to as lead generation, a process conducted by either the marketing or sales organization.

A sales lead may also be defined as a sales stage object in CRM systems that serves as a repository for prospecting lists that are not considered to include a person that has expressed interest, authority, or budget.

businessdictionary.com - sales lead: Inquiry, referral, or other information, obtained through advertisements or other means, that identifies a potential customer (prospect).

searchitchannel.techtarget.com - lead: A lead is a potential sales contact -- an individual or organization that expresses an interest in your goods or services.

leadlizard.com - What is a sales lead? The sales team has a definition, the marketing team has a definition, executives have one opinion and your CRM software has another. No one’s definition of what constitutes a sales lead is necessarily wrong, but it’s critical that sales, marketing, management, CRM systems and marketing automation platforms can all work from a single definition, since your criteria around sales leads will affect your data, your marketing efforts, your nurturing programs, your lead qualification and even your final sales numbers.
    Last edited by Rob Buchanan; 07-29-2015 at 02:15 PM.
    Rob Buchanan
    Data Axle
    402-836-1206

Quote Originally Posted by Moneyformerchant View Post

I cannot speak on the actual Data Rob and his company provides. What I can say is that being able to get your own UCC data anytime you want is the key to success. There is no use in waiting 30 days to purchase outdated data and than compete with 100s of other brokers.

Funders file under alias names and they change them monthly. Again, I cannot speak on how the data is and if they review and update alias names frequently.

Again, I cannot stress this enough, but in order to be successful, you need to know the alias names funders are hiding under. This goes for both buying UCCS and doing your own searches. Another bonus is to know sites you can search by secured parties for free. There are various free states and fairly cheap states that get you UCCs much cheaper than actually buying them from a company.

Let me know if I can help.

Senior Member Reputation points: 158630

Why is new data valuable if they have just very recently gotten funding? Is the name of the game simply getting in line to stack or poach someone's client? Please outline the action points here and the methodology around calling through other people's books on every filing. Especially right away. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by HDF View Post
    Why is new data valuable if they have just very recently gotten funding? Is the name of the game simply getting in line to stack or poach someone's client? Please outline the action points here and the methodology around calling through other people's books on every filing. Especially right away. Thank you.
    From my experience, most merchants do not get the full amount that they were looking for. Not sure where you got poaching someones client from? Its called a second position, which is a common industry practice.

I am not sure, if you are a funder or broker, or sell a list. Can you tell me a little more about what you actually do to see if I can reply better to your question.

Senior Member Reputation points: 23702

UCC data is garbage. The merchants on those lists are pounded day in and day out by call centers, robodialers, and salespeople trying to get call time so they don't get fired and lose their base salary.

If you are looking to squeeze a 3rd position on a retail shop for $10K with a COJ and a 6% bank fee, go right ahead and call the **** out of them. Otherwise, save your money kids.
    Last edited by FUNd; 08-11-2015 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNd View Post
    UCC data is garbage. The merchants on those lists are pounded day in and day out by call centers, robodialers, and salespeople trying to get call time so they don't get fired and lose their base salary.

If you are looking to squeeze a 3rd position on a retail shop for $10K with a COJ and a 6% bank fee, go right ahead and call the **** out of them. Otherwise, save your money kids.
    I agree with you there, that is why getting to that merchant first matters the most. Old UCCs are getting pounded left and right, but the most recently filed ones are not, because the data companies do not update daily and are always 30 days late.

Also, when ordering a UCC list, you will need to make sure that you capture all the new alias names used by a funder. Clearly, the most common alias names are hit the hardest. I have actually done my own study and research and discovered 1200 alias names used for just 97 funding companies.

It might help knowing funders most recent alias names when purchasing a list.

I agree with you there, that is why getting to that merchant first matters the most. Old UCCs are getting pounded left and right, but the most recently filed ones are not, because the data companies do not update daily and are always 30 days late.

Also, when ordering a UCC list, you will need to make sure that you capture all the new alias names used by a funder. Clearly, the most common alias names are hit the hardest. I have actually done my own study and research and discovered 1200 alias names used for just 97 funding companies.

It might help knowing funders most recent alias names when purchasing a list.
    There are approximately 4 million businesses in the US that fit the box for MCA (revenue wise). UCC filings make up a sliver of that number, yet so many people swear by them as low-hanging fruit. They are sold at 20-50x the price of other data. To me, it's a rip, a sales pitch. Every business can use additional capital, and any owner who tells you different is lying to you to get you off the phone. Why keep calling the same merchants over and over, and paying a premium for data to do so?

I cannot argue that point. I was just throwing my two cents in about UCCs. Brokers rely heavily on merchants that have a merchant cash advance already or in the past because its easier to convert them rather than teaching a new business the industry.

If it was me that was spending the money, I would target brand new businesses.

I cannot argue that point. I was just throwing my two cents in about UCCs. Brokers rely heavily on merchants that have a merchant cash advance already or in the past because its easier to convert them rather than teaching a new business the industry.

If it was me that was spending the money, I would target brand new businesses.
    High five!

Senior Member Reputation points: 4603

"If it was me that was spending the money, I would target brand new businesses."

Says the one who markets services via DF and emails to sell UCC scraping techniques, UCC data, and UCC alias names.

Now there is a strong vote of confidence! Shoot me an invoice.

Quote Originally Posted by KTK View Post
    "If it was me that was spending the money, I would target brand new businesses."

Says the one who markets services via DF and emails to sell UCC scraping techniques, UCC data, and UCC alias names.

Now there is a strong vote of confidence! Shoot me an invoice.
    I provide what the market wants, in addition I provide information on new businesses also.

Senior Member Reputation points: 158630

Assuming that calling a "new" UCC piece of data is the equivalent of offering a second position is naive and thoughtless. UCCs tell, maybe, 25% of a merchant's debt obligation story. And you are not just giving your 2-cents. You are a peddler. Good luck.

I cannot speak on the actual Data Rob and his company provides. What I can say is that being able to get your own UCC data anytime you want is the key to success. There is no use in waiting 30 days to purchase outdated data and than compete with 100s of other brokers.

Funders file under alias names and they change them monthly. Again, I cannot speak on how the data is and if they review and update alias names frequently.

Again, I cannot stress this enough, but in order to be successful, you need to know the alias names funders are hiding under. This goes for both buying UCCS and doing your own searches. Another bonus is to know sites you can search by secured parties for free. There are various free states and fairly cheap states that get you UCCs much cheaper than actually buying them from a company.

Let me know if I can help.

But actually you are trying to speak about me and the data my company provides with your posts in this thread.

Our customers can get UCC data anytime they want it. They do not need to wait 30 days nor is it out dated data as we build and maintain our own business database that is constantly being updated.

I wouldn't go as far as saying funders change their alias names monthly because that is not really true. However there are some funders that will use more than one alias name and some funders use quite a few alias names but all names are used on a regular bases for the most part. I don't think there is anyone else out there including yourself YuliyaG that has a more complete and comprehensive list of alias names than we do.

This alias name thing of yours seems to be a new thing you are trying to push on this site. It's nothing new to these guys.

How many states can you get free UCC's on? how much time would someone need so spend on trying to get their own data then find contact data somewhere else to append to it.

How long have you been working in the MCA data/marketing space?
    Rob Buchanan
    Data Axle
    402-836-1206