Credit Score?
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Hybrid View

Interesting the distinction everyone is making between "ACH deals" and "MCA deals" as though all MCA deals are on a split or lockbox and thus they are less risky. A large percentage of MCA (i.e credit card based) use ACH as the collection method (through reporting or other means of knowing their daily batching). So are we talking about a difference in risk due to collection method (ACH vs. Split/Lockbox), or a difference in Merchants who accept credit cards vs. those who do not? Again, we ACH credit card advances all the time and I don't see a difference in performance based on collection method.

A forum user Reputation points: 2147483647 Sean Cash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gini Co View Post
    Interesting the distinction everyone is making between "ACH deals" and "MCA deals" as though all MCA deals are on a split or lockbox and thus they are less risky. A large percentage of MCA (i.e credit card based) use ACH as the collection method (through reporting or other means of knowing their daily batching). So are we talking about a difference in risk due to collection method (ACH vs. Split/Lockbox), or a difference in Merchants who accept credit cards vs. those who do not? Again, we ACH credit card advances all the time and I don't see a difference in performance based on collection method.
    When compared broadly, there should be a material difference in performance between a split deal and an ACH deal. You can't have ACH rejects with a split deal. I'm not saying there aren't ways to circumvent split-processing (there definitely are), but the biggest problem with ACH deals is merchants not having any money in the bank when the ACH hits. That's why split-funding became so popular, because the risk of merchants not having cash in the bank when it comes time to make a payment is and was very high.

A 550 credit deal with no money in the bank can get approved for a split, but how do you think that will play out on ACH? The collection method matters.

I am shocked if you do not see a difference based on the collection method. Perhaps you are only funding prime deals with lots of cash in the bank on split? I wrote a bit about ACH vs. Split-funding on the ETA's website: http://www.electran.org/guest-analys...-processing-3/

Quote Originally Posted by sean bash View Post
    I am shocked if you do not see a difference based on the collection method. Perhaps you are only funding prime deals with lots of cash in the bank on split? I wrote a bit about ACH vs. Split-funding on the ETA's website: http://www.electran.org/guest-analys...-processing-3/
    It may seem counter intuitive that there is no a discernible difference in performance based on payment method (ACH v. Split), but here is my theory. A merchant 'defaults' on an MCA by either 1.)going out of business (not technically a default) or 2.) intentionally avoiding payment. A split does not prevent either of these scenarios. It reduces bouncing, but in my experience, severe bouncing is a symptom of one of the reasons stated above, not an honest rough patch in liquidity management. If you are draining too much cash from a business, it doesn't matter what the method is, you'll end up in the same place very quickly. Don't get me wrong, a split is still my preference because its the cleanest and easiest way to service an advance, but I see it offering any reduction in the probability of default.