Live Leads
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Senior Member Reputation points: 32550 Funder Mark's Avatar

Live Leads

I just got cold called on my cell, and was asked by a nice lady named Hillary if I was looking for some capital for my business. I played along until I got to a guy named Dan from a company he said is called Capital Advance. At that time I told him that I work in the field, and thanks for wasting my time.

Is it legal to call people on their cells, and since I never applied for a cash advance, how did my number end up on this companies list?

Am I the only one this happened to?

Senior Member Reputation points: 54989

Maybe its the real Hilary! after her email fiasco she may be doing telemarketing. On a serious note I find that when I call ISO's to sign then up I end up many times on their Robo-call list.

Senior Member Reputation points: 2019 Lenders.Marketing's Avatar

Live Leads

If you list a number as a business phone it is fair game. To lessen the solicitation calls register your phone with donotcall.gov. A responsible telemarketing company and phone list provider will scrub their phones against the DNC. Although some folks will load any number they get their hands on. I always say take me off your list, block their number and never give your cell phone to any business.
    3110 Main Street
    Building C
    Santa Monica, CA 90405

info@lendersmarketing.com
    www.lendersmarketing.com

Direct (805) 765-6459
    Toll-Free (888) 988-2867
    Fax Number (818) 925-9686

We connect Lenders with their future clients

Check out how our Business Loan Triggers work:
    http://www.lendersmarketing.com/busi...-triggers.html

Senior Member Reputation points: 32550 Funder Mark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lenders.Marketing View Post
    If you list a number as a business phone it is fair game. To lessen the solicitation calls register your phone with donotcall.gov. A responsible telemarketing company and phone list provider will scrub their phones against the DNC. Although some folks will load any number they get their hands on. I always say take me off your list, block their number and never give your cell phone to any business.
    Thanks Nick, I just did that. Hopefully I will not get these calls after 30 days from now.

jotucker1983
    Quote Originally Posted by Funder Mark View Post
    I just got cold called on my cell, and was asked by a nice lady named Hillary if I was looking for some capital for my business. I played along until I got to a guy named Dan from a company he said is called Capital Advance. At that time I told him that I work in the field, and thanks for wasting my time.

Is it legal to call people on their cells, and since I never applied for a cash advance, how did my number end up on this companies list?

Am I the only one this happened to?

With TCPA, they can't call it with an automated dialer unless there's been previous communication/authorization of some sort. If you have your cell phone out there in representation of a "business" and for "commercial use" then I don't believe that would qualify for protections against unsolicited calling because B2B isn't covered.

I get calls and emails about funding my business with a cash advance as well, it just shows the piss poor preparation that people put into their marketing campaigns. They either just bought a list and starting calling, or they looked up random numbers in a directory and started calling. Doing that is just a waste of time, energy and money, a competent professional should do targeted marketing to a group of prospective clients that would qualify for his products. 1st Capital Loans doesn't qualify for a cash advance lol.

Senior Member Reputation points: 1719

I love getting pitched - its always interesting to hear, and I'm always happy to toss out some tips. No harm, no foul...I just don't want to waste THEIR time.

I just had a guy call me and he was literally eating a bowl of cereal as he was pitching me.

Senior Member Reputation points: 18402

Too many people are calling these people over and over and over. Just a matter of time before there is a do not call registry for businesses.

Senior Member Reputation points: 2655

Quote Originally Posted by golf2014 View Post
    Too many people are calling these people over and over and over. Just a matter of time before there is a do not call registry for businesses.

I dont see that ever happening. Business to buisness phone calls are normal. Its the way businesses have done business forever it continue that way.
    Rob Buchanan
    Data Axle
    402-836-1206
    rob.buchanan@data-axle.com

Veteran Reputation points: 135672 Chambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Buchanan View Post
    I dont see that ever happening. Business to buisness phone calls are normal. Its the way businesses have done business forever it continue that way.
    Famous last words.....of any business policy in America that is now regulated and controlled

jotucker1983
    If B2B calls become regulated like B2C calls are (where you can't call the person unless they requested you call them first), then B2B Independent Agents are just about all but doomed.

When you have a low barrier to entry and just allow anybody with a pulse to sell your products, you eventually run into problems like this when enough people continue to complain.

Unsolicited calls that relate to the person and with the person "maybe" being in a situation to take advantage of the products, is one thing. But the vast majority of people calling usually are selling things that don't relate to the person at all.
    Last edited by jotucker1983; 03-26-2015 at 04:24 PM.