Selling Merchant Cash Advances - How hard is it?
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Hybrid View

A forum user Reputation points: 2147483647 Sean Cash's Avatar

personally, the majority of business owners I speak to have never heard of it. most, if not all government officials have never heard of it. banks, hedge funds, and private equity groups are just starting to learn about it. journalists are just starting to hear of it, but even then not really because the industry is being overshadowed in the news by silicon valley darlings like lending club, on deck capital, and kabbage. They distort the message because although ODC and Kabbage are part of the greater MCA industry, they're not the heart and soul of it.

all the mailers, cold calls, and email blasts in the world don't mean the people receiving them have any idea what it is being offered. Sell my future receivables? never heard of that. I hear that more than 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by HollyH View Post
    Hello ya'll...

I'm new to the MCA field. I'm not really in it yet, but am seriously considering it. I get that I can be considered competition and such...

I've read this whole thread, and I'm finding myself baffled by one thing in particular: The head of an ISO (who's been in the business since '07 and has done VERY very well in it on his own), while wanting to recruit me to work for/with him, told me that 90% of the merchants that I will talk to will have never heard of MCAs.

He also told me a story about going to a chamber of commerce meeting RECENTLY (in a pretty big city) and presenting his business to the whole crowd and then having 90% of the people there meet him outside and ask for his services.

Do you think he was outright lying about the climate of the business right now? From your above posts I would think that he's pulling my leg. But until I get into it, I wouldn't know for myself.

Would you say that it's totally impossible that he's still having those kind of experiences?

Thanks so much!

The greater majority of businesses have not heard of this product. That said, it is possible that market saturation occurs despite many business owners being unaware of this product.

The MCA market is a niche product which is only right for specific business types. These fall into two bins (as I understand it), those who have a way to monetize short term capital but not the credit to go to a bank, and/or time/credit to go for an SBA loan, and those who are in trouble (And either sink or swim with short term funding. If its the unfortunate former case, hopefully axe drops after 6-8 months when the funding is paid back).

Unfortunately this is not a product that is right for every business, just the specific market that we work in. Therefore your future boss is not necessarily lying, but perhaps giving your first lesson about framing the conversation to work for your purposes .
    Last edited by atag40; 08-17-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Atag40, Thanks!!

Appreciate that info, and I like, "perhaps giving your first lesson about framing the conversation to work for your purposes." Good.