How many credit cards do you have?
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Question How many credit cards do you have?

I'm trying to figure out the best approach to managing my finances and I've heard mixed advice on credit cards. Some people say having multiple cards helps with credit scores and offers more benefits, while others warn about the risks of debt and overspending. Currently, I only have one credit card but I’m considering getting another for the rewards and credit-building potential.

How many credit cards do you guys have and how do you manage them effectively?

Senior Member Reputation points: 84416

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMorgan View Post
    I'm trying to figure out the best approach to managing my finances and I've heard mixed advice on credit cards. Some people say having multiple cards helps with credit scores and offers more benefits, while others warn about the risks of debt and overspending. Currently, I only have one credit card but I’m considering getting another for the rewards and credit-building potential.

What does your post have in connection with Payment Processing?
    Dave Lambert, Business Development
    dave@fcbankcard.com
    Merchant Services Consultant
    High Risk Merchant Payment Solutions
    SBA 7(a) Loans & Short-Term Funding
    T/VM: 727-291-7890
    Office: 727-233-1111

Oh, I think I have posted in the wrong discussion. Actually, I saw this mentioned below the title of this forum: 'Discuss electronic payments, mobile payments, credit card processing, and all related technology.' It mentions credit cards, so I thought my question would fall into this category.

Senior Member Reputation points: 39331

Oh, I think I have posted in the wrong discussion. Actually, I saw this mentioned below the title of this forum: 'Discuss electronic payments, mobile payments, credit card processing, and all related technology.' It mentions credit cards, so I thought my question would fall into this category.
    Dont mind him. Hes a zesty gay older man.

Senior Member Reputation points: 227882

Michael, you're correct.
    Banks like giving money to people who don't need money.
    The score is just a metric. The best way to increase your creditworthiness is to have multiple credit cards with high balances. One card at $20,000 won't do nearly as much as one $10,000, one $5,000 and two $2500 cards. (Although you do want to have at least one card with a very high limit!)
    However, the trick is to use them wisely.
    Try to stay below 20% usage on all cards individually as well as collectively.
    Have all of your credit cards on autopay (ideally 7 days before the due date), so that you never miss a payment.
    Use your debit card or pay off the cards early (before the CLOSING date, that's different than the due date) so that the usage won't reflect on your credit report if you need to spend more.
    One or two term loans with good payment history will round it out.
    If you're new, get a few $1000 cards. Put $100 per month on each card.
    In 12 months, apply for another card or two, get a $5000 limit. Same thing.
    After 5 years, your scores will be fantastic and you'll qualify for the best rates for mortgages and cars.
    Don't apply for credit that you don't need or want to build your credit history. Each inquiry is a "negative" in the eyes of banks - you're shopping.
    Rewards are very important, because if you don't have them, the banks will just pocket them, but you're getting charged the same amount by the stores.

You have to have discipline, specifically not to spend beyond your means, because the shiny plastic is really cool to flash at the restaurant that you can't afford but want to impress someone by saying "I'll cover the tab."

Debt is important, because inflation builds in the credit card fees and the fact that you "can always take a loan." Most people don't use it correctly, hence you have a lot of 590 FICOs with MCAs.

If you build the credit nicely, and if you're a business owner, then you can get a true business LOC and you simultaneously teach yourself how to balance yourself, and utilize credit appropriately, and you won't need 3rd tier failing MCA bait and switch brokers who promise you a LOC that you already have.

Senior Member Reputation points: 73140 Olderguy's Avatar

Your bank will put you on their mailing list for their credit cards and special promotions....watch out for those and review the programs.
    Steve Benjamin
    Professional Business Loans

522 Contessa
    Irvine, CA 92620
    steveprobiz@gmail.com
    https://probizloans.net/
    Broker, Underwriter, general business loan expert

@ 24 hour funding working capital loans
    @ Term loans from 3 years to 10 years at 9.5% and up
    @ Equipment financing up to 7 years
    @ Property loans - Hard Money and traditional - Primary, Investment, commercial, land, fix and flip, construction.
    @ SBA loans - 7A and 504.
    @ Private money equity and debt for major investments
    @ Personal Loans up to gross income from personal tax return.