Question on how Renewals Work - Newbie
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question on how Renewals Work - Newbie

I’m new to MCA space and have a couple of basic questions.
    Can someone please explain the following like I am a baby?

1) I’ve heard of brokers hopping recently funded positions.
    Since MCA’s offer little discounts on early payoffs, how would hopping a newly funded position work?

2) What is the difference/advantage between a renewal and taking a new position with a different funder?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for these questions.

Cheers.

Senior Member Reputation points: 8833

Quote Originally Posted by CNC30 View Post

Since MCA’s offer little discounts on early payoffs, how would hopping a newly funded position work?

2) What is the difference/advantage between a renewal and taking a new position with a different funder?

Cheers.
    1. A hop wouldn’t pay off the position before it. Hops and payoffs are two different things. A hop would only have a negative affect on the ability to potentially pay off because it adds more leverage to the merchant.

2.A renewal will have better terms 99% of the time vs taking a new position- however a new position might get the merchant more money quicker, depending on how much of his balance is paid

Simon Wein
    CEO- Radiance Funding
    P:516.509.9788
    W: Radiancefunding.com
    E:Simon@radiancefunding.com

Senior Member Reputation points: 84403

Cheers.
    Better Question - Who are you ? Company you work for/with?
    Disclose your identity
    Dave Lambert, Business Development
    dave@fcbankcard.com
    Merchant Services Consultant
    High Risk Merchant Payment Solutions
    SBA 7(a) Loans & Short-Term Funding
    T/VM: 727-291-7890
    Office: 727-233-1111

Senior Member Reputation points: 122949 BR-Nightmare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeeman07 View Post
    Better Question - Who are you ? Company you work for/with?
    Disclose your identity
    Better question: Why do they have to disclose that? They are not soliciting!
    The Brokers Nightmare
    I don't want peace, I want problems, ALWAYS!
    Florida-Based

Cheers.
    This a good question!

A renewal will payoff their current balance with a new deal and net the merchant the difference. It's good because it will keep them just one payment. It can be more expensive in the long term though, as they're paying off expensive money with more expensive money... It's commonly called double dipping.

A hop (also called stacking) is where the client doesn't payoff the current position with the new funds and instead just takes another funding alongside what they already have. This will increase their total payments but at times it can make more sense.

Say a merchant took a $300,000 MCA. They've paid it down to $100,000 and need an additional $50,000. They could renew their current deal for $150,000, paying off the 100k balance and netting out 50k. Or, they could get a 2nd position for $50,000. If the factor is a 1.35 on their renewal offer, they'll pay $52,500 in RTR to net out 50k. A stack, even at a 1.49, is cheaper for the client (50k X 1.49 is 24,500 in RTR). The stack makes sense AS LONG AS they can comfortable handle both payments.

Senior Member Reputation points: 39493

ANSWER: Do NOT "hop" a NEWLY FUNDED position / merchant... usually, dirt bag brokers do this to max out the commissions they can make on a business - putting the business and funder in jeopardy of default. YES, they get more money. YES, others will say "if I don't do it - someone else will". YES, some have made millions, derailing other business owners dreams with funding that has a high cost (and if the business owner doesn't have some huge returns, won't make a penny and end up working for the advances you gave them - ultimately losing their livelihoods.) Be better. Be responsible. Work for the long plan where you don't burn your name (assuming you use your real name, which you should!). Educate your business owner that taking more than 1 position "a hop" can put them in a bad financial position. There is a REASON why underwriters make offers up to certain %'s of revenue... if your merchant is seeking lower cost, you can: reduce points, sell the lowest cost deal, get a pre-payment discount, tell them take less money/ only what they need now (if the payback is too high). Let someone else burn them if they're desperate. You'll lose your funding relationships if they learn that you are hopping them.

ANSWER - the difference is a renewal, depending on the funder, might be MORE expensive when it comes time to renew... UNLESS, the "interest" (should be called "cost of capital") is forgiven - like Ondeck. Why? A renewal usually occurs when 70% has been paid down, allowing the funder to refinance, putting new capital (and cost of capital/interest) ON TOP of the previous funding... in essence, paying interest on interest... My advice? You can renew. It's usually easier for the merchant. BUT... if they want the best deal, once they've paid down 50-60%, you should shop for a 2nd position or Buyout and see if there are better options. If you want to really go long in this game, put your merchant on a plan to get out of MCA altogether. There are plenty of new businesses every day and they will need MCA at some point. Give them a plan out, and guess what - they will come back when another emergency hits. Don't give them a plan and guess what? They take multiple positions, default, get 1,000's of calls and harrassed and absolutely hate that YOU put them there. Believe me, they will remember who screwed them over.

Bottom line... don't burn your merchant. Don't burn your funders. Keep those relationships clean and you'll be around a long time. You ARE going to make money in this business because it's lucrative, but you don't want to keep starting over and "rebranding" because you've burned ALL your bridges.

On that note. Good luck. Keep asking questions!

Quote Originally Posted by BR-Nightmare View Post
    Better question: Why do they have to disclose that? They are not soliciting!
    What are you or they hiding - They are soliciting information - why not who they are -
    dave@fcbankcard.com

Senior Member Reputation points: 226125

What are you or they hiding - They are soliciting information - why not who they are -
    "Soliciting" business means seeking the business of potential customers. That's for sure the context that it's meant on this forum.
    They are requesting information in an anonymous way, not soliciting customers or brokers to send THEM deals.
    They're hiding because they don't want people like YOU calling them and soliciting them.

Steven O gave solid answers.

Quote Originally Posted by abfunders View Post
    They're hiding because they don't want people like YOU calling them and soliciting them.

Indeed
    The Brokers Nightmare
    Florida-Based

Senior Member Reputation points: 45052 SendDocsPlox's Avatar
    in this thread, vigorously mashing the refresh key

If the renewal isn't giving more money, and a better rate, and a longer term, its usually bad for the merchant
    The overwhelming majority of renewals are 50% pay ins with the exact same specs, just "we gib more money n payments stay the same buddy :^)"

Until the file is approaching Paid in Full it's the merchants grabbing their ankles for the Funder and the ISO, and its being done to our advantage, not the merchants advantage.
    It's interest on interest, merchant paying sometimes up to a 3.0 TRUE Factor Rate, and in many cases the merchant is better off taking a new position entirely

You may not like it but its true

Senior Member Reputation points: 116856 ridextreme's Avatar

That's not how the internet works and it's the reason we use handles instead of our real names.

Senior Member Reputation points: 10476

Cheers.
    If you want to hop on a call i can break everything down for you and explain how my company does things a little different than most funders when it comes to renewals and offer.

Scott Platto
    scott@tmrnow.com
    tmrnow.com
    212-220-9872

Quote Originally Posted by closer129 View Post
    If you want to hop on a call i can break everything down for you and explain how my company does things a little different than most funders when it comes to renewals and offer.
    You should speak with Scott about the 3rd thing that you didn't mention, which is called "add-on" which most funders do not do. TMR and Quikstone are the only two companies that I know for sure that do it regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by abfunders View Post
    "Soliciting" business means seeking the business of potential customers. That's for sure the context that it's meant on this forum.
    They are requesting information in an anonymous way, not soliciting customers or brokers to send THEM deals.

I don't solicit rookies or old washed up brokers.
    dave@fcbankcard.com

Old washed up brokers? Have you even SEEN your own LinkedIn picture?

Nobody is buying your old pass prepaid card nonsense.

Products are outdated.

I mean who still uses Skype?
    The Brokers Nightmare
    Florida-Based

Nobody is buying your old pass prepaid card nonsense.

Products are outdated.

I mean who still uses Skype?
    https://money.usnews.com/credit-card...nies-this-year

Mastercard and Visa debit and prepaid card transactions reached 84 billion in 2022

Skype - I utilize for overseas vendors & clients.

The only item outdated is you -
    dave@fcbankcard.com

Senior Member Reputation points: 8833

When is the Daily Funder boxing match happening? Dave Vs BR Nightmare? Get Al Haymon on this
    Last edited by simonwein12; 01-03-2024 at 06:10 PM.

Simon Wein
    CEO- Radiance Funding
    P:516.509.9788
    W: Radiancefunding.com
    E:Simon@radiancefunding.com

Quote Originally Posted by simonwein12 View Post
    When is the Daily Funder boxing matching happening? Dave Vs BR Nightmare? Get Al Haymon on this
    Never -I don't take advantage of my elders
    dave@fcbankcard.com

Quote Originally Posted by SendDocsPlox View Post
    If the renewal isn't giving more money, and a better rate, and a longer term, its usually bad for the merchant
    The overwhelming majority of renewals are 50% pay ins with the exact same specs, just "we gib more money n payments stay the same buddy :^)"

Until the file is approaching Paid in Full it's the merchants grabbing their ankles for the Funder and the ISO, and its being done to our advantage, not the merchants advantage.
    It's interest on interest, merchant paying sometimes up to a 3.0 TRUE Factor Rate, and in many cases the merchant is better off taking a new position entirely

You may not like it but its true
    Or possibly working with the merchant to secure a better funding option that is NOT an MCA.
    Not always possible, but it may be worth the effort.
    dave@fcbankcard.com

https://money.usnews.com/credit-card...nies-this-year

Mastercard and Visa debit and prepaid card transactions reached 84 billion in 2022

Skype - I utilize for overseas vendors & clients.

The only item outdated is you -
    You're cute Dave

Lets state some basic facts.

I am under 40, I have an actual physical address, and I would be the one popped for Elder Abuse.

Now, go back to polishing your self appointed Daily Funder police badge.
    The Brokers Nightmare
    Florida-Based

You're cute Dave

Lets state some basic facts.

I am under 40, I have an actual physical address, and I would be the one popped for Elder Abuse.

Now, go back to polishing your self appointed Daily Funder police badge.
    Your under 40 , which means you have a lot to learn !!!

BTW, I'm an elder that knows how to protect myself and if required, punch much harder than some young snot nose

Noe go back to hiding under a "user name"
    dave@fcbankcard.com

Quote Originally Posted by budlightboy View Post
    This a good question!

A renewal will payoff their current balance with a new deal and net the merchant the difference. It's good because it will keep them just one payment. It can be more expensive in the long term though, as they're paying off expensive money with more expensive money... It's commonly called double dipping.

A hop (also called stacking) is where the client doesn't payoff the current position with the new funds and instead just takes another funding alongside what they already have. This will increase their total payments but at times it can make more sense.

Say a merchant took a $300,000 MCA. They've paid it down to $100,000 and need an additional $50,000. They could renew their current deal for $150,000, paying off the 100k balance and netting out 50k. Or, they could get a 2nd position for $50,000. If the factor is a 1.35 on their renewal offer, they'll pay $52,500 in RTR to net out 50k. A stack, even at a 1.49, is cheaper for the client (50k X 1.49 is 24,500 in RTR). The stack makes sense AS LONG AS they can comfortable handle both payments.
    Thank you, this make sense! In this example, does the merchant have to pay off the 100k balance when they renew?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_O View Post

ANSWER: Do NOT "hop" a NEWLY FUNDED position / merchant... usually, dirt bag brokers do this to max out the commissions they can make on a business - putting the business and funder in jeopardy of default. YES, they get more money. YES, others will say "if I don't do it - someone else will". YES, some have made millions, derailing other business owners dreams with funding that has a high cost (and if the business owner doesn't have some huge returns, won't make a penny and end up working for the advances you gave them - ultimately losing their livelihoods.) Be better. Be responsible. Work for the long plan where you don't burn your name (assuming you use your real name, which you should!). Educate your business owner that taking more than 1 position "a hop" can put them in a bad financial position. There is a REASON why underwriters make offers up to certain %'s of revenue... if your merchant is seeking lower cost, you can: reduce points, sell the lowest cost deal, get a pre-payment discount, tell them take less money/ only what they need now (if the payback is too high). Let someone else burn them if they're desperate. You'll lose your funding relationships if they learn that you are hopping them.

Thanks Steven. Your answers are very helpful.
    Always better to do things the right way.

Most Merchants will eventually take a 2nd MCA. When is it viewed as acceptable to provide merchant with a 2nd position?
    Confirming Hop/Stacking and Adding another position or the same thing, correct?

Senior Member Reputation points: 15523

Thanks Steven. Your answers are very helpful.
    Always better to do things the right way.

Most Merchants will eventually take a 2nd MCA. When is it viewed as acceptable to provide merchant with a 2nd position?
    Confirming Hop/Stacking and Adding another position or the same thing, correct?
    Oh Boy, a question as old as time, you have opened the flood gates my friend.