AI Underwriting For Merchant Cash Advance
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

AI Underwriting For Merchant Cash Advance

Hi, I am reaching out to see if there any brokers who work with lenders that use AI to underwrite their files? I am currently an underwriter, and I am worried that my job might be replaced with AI. Is this something that I should be worried about within the MCA space? And if so, how soon?

Senior Member Reputation points: 124096 BR-Nightmare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeCap View Post
    Hi, I am reaching out to see if there any brokers who work with lenders that use AI to underwrite their files? I am currently an underwriter, and I am worried that my job might be replaced with AI. Is this something that I should be worried about within the MCA space? And if so, how soon?
    As an UW, I can tell you this.

As much as anybody could formulate an AI model of our job, their is someone creating a model on how to beat it.

The human touch will always be needed here IMO.

I believe OnDeck operates their UW under an AI model and I have caught a few things myself that they have missed. Nothing too crazy but it's the little things that build the bigger picture on a file.

UW in the MCA/RBF world is a progressive learning position. Rest easy, we should be ok.
    The Brokers Nightmare
    I don't want peace, I want problems, ALWAYS!
    Florida-Based

Senior Member Reputation points: 28835

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeCap View Post
    Machine Learning has been in the MCA space for a while now. ML or AI isn't going to disrupt a UW's job anytime soon. The amount of data you need to have a profitable model is a ton & it is not like you can buy performance data to train your model.

Like most jobs, AI will be a tool rather than replacing you. Imagine if you had a license to MCA insights like the relationship between withhold & defaults within industries & regions. While it might be very valuable information, it is one piece of a very large puzzle.

Senior Member Reputation points: 10227

Quote Originally Posted by mistamca View Post
    Machine Learning has been in the MCA space for a while now. ML or AI isn't going to disrupt a UW's job anytime soon. The amount of data you need to have a profitable model is a ton & it is not like you can buy performance data to train your model.

Like most jobs, AI will be a tool rather than replacing you. Imagine if you had a license to MCA insights like the relationship between withhold & defaults within industries & regions. While it might be very valuable information, it is one piece of a very large puzzle.
    I couldn't agree more. I will also add that risk models require change and need to naturally evolve based on all sorts of different data points that will most likely be specific to your portfolio and funding decisions you have made in the past. The data sets are far too extensive and require too much customization at the moment for AI to completely take an UW out of a job. Now what I will say is that at the moment, AI could very much help an UW make faster and better decisions but again, based on what?

Anyway, we are approached by AI companies on a regular basis these days and each time we have a conversation on this topic, the conversation always finds itself at a dead end.

My thoughts

Trey Markel
    VP Sales & Marketing
    (888) 622-5810
    tmarkel@centrexsoftware.com
    www.centrexsoftware.com