Adventures in lead buying
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Adventures in lead buying

Most of you know (if you've seen any of my posts) that I'm pretty new to the industry and I thought it would be funny to some of you old hats to hear about some of my experiences thus far.

Most recently I've been buying leads from several vendors in an attempt to jump start my revenue until I can organically generate my own traffic. I've bought a little bit of everything.

Recently I spent several thousand dollars on "full submission packets" from a reputable vendor on the forum. After working my ass off for a month on them I was notified by my underwriting team that I had submitted "more bogus junk" in a month than they've seen in years from several other ISO's combined. I explained about the new lead source and they requested to see the docs I was sent. I picked 6 out of 60 randomly and sent them over. Every single one of them was photoshopped and scrubbed of identifiers. They explained to me in detail that basically I bought someone else's un-fundable junk that they bundled together, photoshopped and then sold to me as "quality, fresh 24hr leads). In reality what I had done is purchased backdoor'd leads from a company who KNEW what they were doing and tried to cover it up. They knew it was illegal and did it anyway.

When I brought this to said company's attention they told me that the fault was my own because "these leads are for closers and maybe I didn't know how to close properly." I then explained that I was never given the opportunity to close because not a single deal I submitted received any offers. They were either just funded or fraudulent or had no idea what an MCA was.

The company agreed to then give me an "equal" amount of traditional leads (i.e. name, email, phone, minimum $30k, etc etc). I accepted the 20k leads and then ran the list through a email verification checker and found that 27% of the leads they sold me had bogus emails.

Now I'm a simple guy and new to the business but when 100% of your leads are stolen and fraudulent and you replace them and THOSE are 27% bogus I'm beginning to think I might be getting taken advantage of.

Am I just being critical or are these numbers are in-line with whatever else is seeing?

Senior Member Reputation points: 84403

The best "Leads" are those that you generate yourself.

Phone, email in no particular order - and follow-up, and follow up again.

You can create your own lead funnel, that requires investing time and some $$

For immediate income, select 1 or 2 industries and create your own database, what I call
    suspects, prospects, leads, deals.
    Dave Lambert, Business Development
    dave@fcbankcard.com
    Merchant Services Consultant
    High Risk Merchant Payment Solutions
    SBA 7(a) Loans & Short-Term Funding
    T/VM: 727-291-7890
    Office: 727-233-1111

Senior Member Reputation points: 53553 JasonBishop's Avatar

So you purchased Full Package Leads and got bamboozled. Happening a lot in this space right now. You were invited to attend the party and the pretty girl with the VIP Club Passes told you the party has the best women and drugs that you could ever imagine. Once you arrive you realize it's all plus sized women and laxatives.

Sorry that happened to you OP. We live and we learn.

Senior Member Reputation points: 13711

Before you do business with anyone heres a few things to look for

Their email. Is a free email like gmail or an actual website. If a gmail run fast.

Their website, is a cookie cutter template with very little content about them? Might be a red flag. Go to https://www.godaddy.com/whois/result...=popcrumbs.com and check their url to see when it was registered, most places fail within a year, if they registered the URL recently, red flag.

Do they accept credit cards/paypal or is it ACH/Wires only? if the bank wont give them a credit card processing account theres a reason why.

This is a tough business, be prepared to fail like this a dozen or more times, even when you find a good lead source you may not have a good funder network to fund those leads, building relationships with funders seems to be a big piece of the puzzle, getting lender A to bend a little to fund your guys is how the big shops move those deals through the pipeline. Just starting out you wont have that juice like they do.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBishop View Post
    Once you arrive you realize it's all plus sized women and laxatives.
    I WISH I could get the plus size girls and laxatives.

They passed all of those red-flag checks. Legit website, email addresses, time in business. They even passed the "has credibility on the forum" check.

Where I knew I messed up (in hindsight) was the pricing was too low.

If you're going to rip me off make it more expensive so I learn a harder lesson next time.

Senior Member Reputation points: 17365 jfeinberg's Avatar

Senior Member Reputation points: 17365 jfeinberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jfeinberg View Post
    I just posted this on a FB group yesterday.

These full packages are 99% backdoored and stolen.

We have been seeing this first hand with our own clients.

Yeah, I don't doubt that.

What about when a vendor says the full submission packets are filled out on my own application by the merchant? If the merchant is knowingly filling out my application and providing banks doesn't that ensure everything is above board?

Give us a try!!! We have MULTIPLE testimonials and the best prices by far.

Andrew@arkcapitalfunding.com