How do funders feel about sub contractors?
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

How do funders feel about sub contractors?

Obviously the requirements for GCs has tightened considerably, commensurate with their recent decrease in profit margins, but how do funders feel about electricians, lighting wholesalers, plumbers, roofers, etc...?

Love electric and plumbing. Roofing not so much
    Lifetime Funding
    nicholas@lifetimefundingllc.com
    516-604-0609

Quote Originally Posted by FLORIDAMAN View Post
    Love electric and plumbing. Roofing not so much
    Does roofing vary by state? I can imagine a roofing company in south florida in Q3 of any given year is popping off

Member Reputation points: 162 JayS's Avatar

specialty contractors all day > GCs. I feel like roofers are always subbed.
    Jamie Schiff
    I'm Not a Fan of Titles

Quote Originally Posted by Elias View Post
    Does roofing vary by state? I can imagine a roofing company in south florida in Q3 of any given year is popping off
    Oh for sure. Were definitely approving our fair share of roofers right now, the terms just tend to be less aggressive than we are with electricians and plumbers.
    Lifetime Funding
    516-604-0609

Oh for sure. Were definitely approving our fair share of roofers right now, the terms just tend to be less aggressive than we are with electricians and plumbers.
    For my own knowledge, to know what to presell etc- if a roofer and a plumber are both making 100k, how less aggressive are you going on the roofer? 50k for the roofer vs 85k for the plumber for 100 days? just ball park numbers

For my own knowledge, to know what to presell etc- if a roofer and a plumber are both making 100k, how less aggressive are you going on the roofer? 50k for the roofer vs 85k for the plumber for 100 days? just ball park numbers
    many factors go into pricing besides industry but Id say those numbers are a fair assumption on the differences for us, plumbing you can assume a 20-30% longer term and up to 35% withhold compared to >30% withhold for roofing. Hope this helps
    Lifetime Funding
    516-604-0609

many factors go into pricing besides industry but Id say those numbers are a fair assumption on the differences for us, plumbing you can assume a 20-30% longer term and up to 35% withhold compared to >30% withhold for roofing. Hope this helps
    Really helpful! Thank you

Senior Member Reputation points: 10476

My company treats all types of construction pretty much the same as far as profit margins and risk of the industry. We look at each file on its own merit as far as credit time in business location and so on. We have an adjustable ach payment for them especially roofers so that we can fluctuate the payment depending on the seasons. We also can offer a percentage of the credit card sales if they take them so there is no payment if they do not run any cards for day. We also push them first positions since the usually need money on a more regular basis and we do not refinance the old balances like everyone else does we will just add new money to the back of the old keep the current payment the same and we add more time to the deal to the back end. This makes the money that is already high cost a little better to use and profit from.

Scott Platto
    scott@tmrnow.com
    tmrnow.com
    212-220-9872

Senior Member Reputation points: 28835

Subcontractors are great because their income is typically from businesses rather than consumers. Depending on the state, the subcontractor can be very protected from a lack of payment. A few months ago, I was talking to an exec at an insurance company for a specific niche and he said that the industry is typically always 4 months away from bankruptcy it makes sense why construction is such a high-risk file. A construction company will always have way more debt than you can see because they will typically have multiple unsecured lines with no UCC filed aka supply house

Senior Member Reputation points: 16709

Obviously the requirements for GCs has tightened considerably, commensurate with their recent decrease in profit margins, but how do funders feel about electricians, lighting wholesalers, plumbers, roofers, etc...?
    Sub Contractors are easy for invoice factoring as long as they have commercial clients. (Usually stay away from roofing companies.) Long term residuals.
    Invoice Factoring sub contractors

bzuniga@omegafund.com