"Black Wall Street". Never knew the extent of what happened. - Page 2
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hybrid View

Senior Member Reputation points: 30747

I feel that various fortune 100 companies may have to finally face the light as more dots are being connected. I wonder if those board members of those companies worry about any of this type of stuff..

For example... the textile company Hanes.
    It started as a tobacco company. What would their liability be if the DNA companies where to trace indivdual black people that are alive today, all the way back to the slaves that worked the 1000 acre Hanes family farm (plantation)?

Pleasant Henderson Hanes
    16 Oct. 1845–9 June 1925
    https://www.ncpedia.org/biography/ha...sant-henderson

In 1774, his ancestors purchased 1,060 acres in the North Carolina for farming (plantation).

Pleasant Henderson served in the first two years of the war as first lieutenant in the*Home Guard, but volunteered in 1863 to join the Confederate Cavalry at Richmond, enlisting in Company E, Sixteenth North Carolina Battalion. He soon earned a position as special courier to General Robert E. Lee, with whom he served until the surrender of Appomattox.

In 1870, he became a tobacco salesman for Dulin and Booe, tobacco manufacturers in Mocksville.

In 1872, Hanes organized P. H. Hanes and Company to manufacture tobacco.*

Under pressure from*James B. Duke's*American Tobacco*trust, the Hanes brothers sold their company in 1900 to*RJ Reynolds.

The Hanes brothers could have retired on the income from the sale of the company, but instead they entered the textile business. Pleasant Henderson joined with his sons*Pleasant Huber*and William Marvin to set up the P. H. Hanes Knitting Company in 1902 to manufacture knitted underwear for men and boys.*

Looks like Tom Cotton just dumped more fuel to the fire that was simmering.... What he said could be used against him and be looked at as an admission of liability (if he becomes President) in regards to issuing a Presidential apology and reparations.

Arkansas Republican senator Tom Cotton (possible presidential candidate in 2024) has called the enslavement of millions of African people “the necessary evil upon which the union was built”.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...new-york-times

Senior Member Reputation points: 5023
    Florida, First MCA sold in 85/ WS in 76. CFP/RIA, series 3,6,7,8,10,63,Ins218,220.

Yet, Fox, politico and resurgent all refuted what the fake news said: As he correctly noted, the Founding Fathers, not Cotton, viewed slavery as a necessary evil that would have to be dealt with after independence from Great Britain. His precise quote was, “As the Founding Fathers said, it was the necessary evil upon which the union was built, but the union was built in a way, as Lincoln said, to put slavery on the course to its ultimate extinction.” "

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Yet, Fox, politico and resurgent all refuted what the fake news said: As he correctly noted, the Founding Fathers, not Cotton, viewed slavery as a necessary evil that would have to be dealt with after independence from Great Britain. His precise quote was, “As the Founding Fathers said, it was the necessary evil upon which the union was built, but the union was built in a way, as Lincoln said, to put slavery on the course to its ultimate extinction.” "
    Thanks for clearing that up.. Does the Guardian have a history of sensationalism and misquoting people or do you think it was an honest mistake?

I don't understand that if the founding fathers felt this way, howcome a formal apology was never issued and any type of reparations issued?
    Last edited by Winning; 07-28-2020 at 01:09 AM.

Veteran Reputation points: 135672 Chambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Winning View Post
    Jesus Christ! what I have recently learned about what happened on June 1, 1921 in Tulsa, Oklahoma's Greenwood District is very unsettling.

Even more unsettling is the fact that I had not heard about this in all my years of school!

Have anyone here heard about this before?

If this story checks out and is factual, I think all the families affected are owed billions after its adjusted for inflation. And how was it even possible that the insurance companies were able to deny the claims to begin with?

What do you think?

Check out the article CNN published titled "Descendants of Tulsa's 1921 race massacre seek justice as the nation confronts a racist past" https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/18/polit...921/index.html

According to that article...

Airplanes dropped turpentine bombs on the community and it was the first time a US community was bombed from the air.

Supposdly there are mass gaves sites related to this incident. In 2018, Tulsa Mayor G.T. Bynum, a Republican, announced that he would reopen the investigation into mass graves, calling it a murder investigation. This year, they had planned to excavate but because of the coronavirus, those plans are on hold indefinitely.

No one was ever accused, charged, or convicted.

To this day, insurance companies deny their claims. The damages at the time came out to more than $2.7 million, according to Brown, which would be more than $39 million today, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics' CPI Inflation Calculator.
    Not the only town that happened to either. Check out ROSEWOOD in Florida, Springfield. MA, Memphis, TN, and of course, the NYC draft riots of 1863

Quote Originally Posted by Chambo View Post
    Not the only town that happened to either. Check out ROSEWOOD in Florida, Springfield. MA, Memphis, TN, and of course, the NYC draft riots of 1863
    Not to mention Seneca village, or the MOVE compound in chicago
    Mac Jean
    Iso Relations Manager
    mac@clarityadvance.com
    www.clarityadvance.com

This reparations thing seems to be moving faster than I thought it would. A city has actually funded a reparations initiative..

Today, Evanston Illinois is the first city in the U.S. to fund reparations, committing $10 million over the next decade in an attempt to repay Black residents for the wrongs and accumulated losses incurred by generations of racism.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/1st-us-cit...ry?id=76118463

So I am curious to see how they will actually qualify a person to get these funds.... I wonder will it be like a form of welfare where only low income african americans can get this, or what...

Very curious indeed on how this is going to happen...
    Last edited by Winning; 03-02-2021 at 09:10 PM.

So Evanston, Illinois (Chicago suburb) has officially became the first U.S. city to make reparations available to its Black residents for past discrimination and the lingering effects of slavery.

On Monday 3/22/2021, The Chicago suburb’s City Council voted 8-1 to distribute $400,000 to eligible black households. Each qualifying household would receive $25,000 for home repairs or down payments on property.

The program is being funded through donations and revenue from a 3% tax on the sale of recreational marijuana. The city has pledged to distribute $10 million over 10 years.

Qualifying residents must either have lived in or been a direct descendant of a Black person who lived in Evanston between 1919 to 1969 and who suffered discrimination in housing because of city ordinances, policies or practices.

So $400,000 divided by $25,000 = 16. So I guess the next step is for them to select the 16 people that get this 1st pay out?

The day those 16 people get those funds, may be historical day due to the history of the 40 Acres that Union General William T. Sherman’s Special Field Order No. 15, issued on Jan. 16, 1865. Here is a short read of exactly what was originally promised in 1865 https://www.pbs.org/wnet/african-ame...es-and-a-mule/ .. Very Interesting read.. If that would have been allowed to happened it would have fundamentally altered the course of American race relations. I think that order may have played a huge role into why Abraham Lincoln was assassinated. Andrew Johnson, Lincoln’s successor and a sympathizer with the South, overturned the Order in the fall of 1865..

So what are you or your business doing to prepare for such a huge financial flow?

Here is what I am doing..

Investing in Crypto... I think its possible that such a huge fiat USD transaction could negatively effect the USD value and create higher inflation. It may be wise to put some money in crypto currency. if you are interested to learn a little about how crypto value works, here is a short read https://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...have-value.asp

Incorporate a Non Profit Public Charity, and file for 5013C Status.... There is a huge need and will be a even bigger need to teach basic financial literacy, entrepreneurship, critical thinking, problem solving, etc.... I think that giving a boat load of money to people will not immediately elevate a mind set. That takes a lot more time and effort. If national reparations are dispersed there will be additional programs put in placed to assist with making this happen and fostering change. I am sure there will be new Private Foundations created and funded, related to assisting reparation recipients. Foundations can't give assistance directly to the reparation recipients. Foundations can only give grants to other 5013C organizations. The Non Profit 5013C Public Charity is responsible for actually taking the funds from the foundations via grants then helping the people. Here is a short read on Private Foundations vs Public Charities https://learning.candid.org/resource...lic-charities/

So what do some of you all think about what's going on, and how are you positioning yourself?
    Last edited by Winning; 03-24-2021 at 01:18 PM.

Senior Member Reputation points: 39760

Great insight. You've really stayed on the forefront of this news. I agree with your Crypto sentiment and very intrigued about the 5013c status.

Education is key. Financial literacy is key.

There's a lot of hustle in the streets - they just need someone to counsel them on making the best moves.

I know because I've been there.

Keep winning, Winning.

Man this reparations things is developing fast! Oakland CA is going to intertwine Guaranteed Minimum Income and Race in a program they are calling "Oakland Resilient Families" payments program.. What is interesting about this program is how they avoid mentioning anything about reparations, slavery, or jim crow polices etc... But at the same time they are saying this benefit program is only for low income black people... I feel Reparations was already a complex situation regardless if the black person is in poverty or not.. now combine that with a low income filter, makes this even more complex. Too many Chefs in the Kitchen! There are tons of various initiatives being started on the city level, county level, state level, etc..... I think Congress needs to issue a formal apology for slavery & Jim Crow, and then take the lead on this whole reparations things asap.

Mayor of Oakland, Libby Schaaf “The poverty we all witness today is not a personal failure, it is a systems failure,”. “Guaranteed income is one of the most promising tools for systems change, racial equity, and economic mobility we’ve seen in decades.”

Oakland Resilient Families payments program
    • $500 per month.
    • The monies are not considered taxable income.
    • Must be a person of color, Black, or Indigenous.
    • undocumented and/or unsheltered individuals also qualify.
    • Oakland resident must have at least one child under the age of 18 and income needs to be below $59,000 for a family of three.
    • An online multilingual screening form will be made available this spring and summer. Recipients will be chosen at random to receive the funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_O View Post
    Great insight. You've really stayed on the forefront of this news. I agree with your Crypto sentiment and very intrigued about the 5013c status.
    I am in Texas.. I created a non profit corporation the other day. It only took me about 30 minutes and it cost $25 dollars. https://www.sos.state.tx.us/corp/sosda/index.shtml ... I chose to be a Non Member nonprofit that is governed by a Board. So I had choose 2 additional board members (non family related)..

I then logged on to the IRS and got an EIN https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...ber-ein-online.

After that I had to file for the Recognition of Exemption Under Section 501(c)(3) at https://www.pay.gov/public/form/start/62759871 .. By the way the exemption status request fee was $275.

Now it is just a waiting game for the 501(c)(3) exemption request to be approved... But as of right now i have officially formed my non profit company and it has been issued an EIN. Next week I am going to open a Bank Account and have my 1st board meeting with my Board members.

Senior Member Reputation points: 84416

The Oakland , California violates so many existing Laws it's is not even close to being funny.
    Dave Lambert, Business Development
    dave@fcbankcard.com
    Merchant Services Consultant
    High Risk Merchant Payment Solutions
    SBA 7(a) Loans & Short-Term Funding
    T/VM: 727-291-7890
    Office: 727-233-1111

...I created a non profit corporation the other day. It only took me about 30 minutes and it cost $25 dollars. https://www.sos.state.tx.us/corp/sosda/index.shtml ... I chose to be a Non Member nonprofit that is governed by a Board. So I had choose 2 additional board members (non family related)..

I then logged on to the IRS and got an EIN https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...ber-ein-online.

After that I had to file for the Recognition of Exemption Under Section 501(c)(3) at https://www.pay.gov/public/form/start/62759871 .. By the way the exemption status request fee was $275.

Now it is just a waiting game for the 501(c)(3) exemption request to be approved... But as of right now i have officially formed my non profit company and it has been issued an EIN..
    UPDATE..

I got my 501c3 approval letter from the IRS! I officially have a nonprofit with Tax exempt classification.. The IRS has a huge backlog.. I submitted for tax exempt approval on in 03/2021, and didnt receive the IRS approval letter until 9/10/21.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_O View Post
    Great insight. You've really stayed on the forefront of this news. I agree with your Crypto sentiment..
    Just created a Coinbase acct and bought $300 of Crypto! Took like maybe 15 minutes to do.

$100 worth of Bitcoin, $100 worth of Ethereum, & $100 worth of Cardano!

BTW the cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase (the platform that I just used to purchase the crypto with) is going to IPO soon. So I am probably going to by some stock in Coinbase once they go public.

Last edited by Winning; 03-26-2021 at 01:31 PM.

I think that the the issue is to complex and expensive, as one of the reasons why the government has not made any official attempt to answer for it.
    Could you imagine the difficulty it would be to try to figure out who are the current descendants of slaves from over 150 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by abfunders View Post
    ...It's too complicated to move forward on reparations. When I meant direct descendants, I meant them and their kids.* Unfortunately, it's just too late.
    Perhaps I will be proven wrong.. It looks like there are some local governments willing to address this reparations thing head on.
    So the more l have learned about this the more I realize the idea that a lot of us have regarding slavery happening so long ago that it would be difficult for the current descendants to track back is complete BS.

I have learned that there are tons of people alive today whos great grandparents or great great grandparents where slaves. If we lower the barrier of entry to include if a black person's family experienced harm do to Jim Crow law, that may include just about every black family.

Evanston Illinois is in the process of finalizing there 1st 16 families to get reparations. The have released back stories on exactly how they were affected during the Jim Crow era. Reading some of the applicants stories makes my stomach turn.. It's mind boggling that this stuff was legal to do.

1929. "Lucious Sutton disconnected the water line, the gas line, and the sewer line for the home he’d built on Bauer Place on the northwestern edge of Evanston. He and his brothers removed the appliances and the furniture. They secured the windows. Then he watched as men he didn’t know—maybe they worked for the city, maybe for a property developer—jacked up the wooden house, set it onto a truck, and drove it a mile-and-a-half to the neighborhood the city had deemed more suitable for Black families. A sheriff stood by." "Carlis Sutton, a grandson of Lucious says “If the house still sat where my grandfather put it, it would be worth $500,000,” he says. Sitting where it does in the Fifth Ward, the house sold four years ago for $152,000."

Read more of the various families stories at https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...s-hard-reality