The Real Loan Sharks
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Senior Member Reputation points: 227860

The Real Loan Sharks

https://us.cnn.com/2019/06/01/us/stu...rnd/index.html

I'm not a big CNN fan, nor am I a liberal, but at least there's someone out there talking about the idea that student loans are predatory loans and relief is due to the masses who were more or less conned by the goverment.

Senior Member Reputation points: 198007

Now Payne said she has about $330,000 in debt. Finding sustainable, full-time work has been difficult, and because she wants to go into public service, the jobs don't pay well.
    I think I found Ms. Payne's problems.

Get a job that can pay you enough to pay for the degree OR don't get the degree.

Nunya, I don't disagree. The question you raise is the point - Why did she go for the degree in the first place? She thought that the two could co-exist. And since "everyone does it," she's shouldn't be an exception, right?

Everyone is lured into these loans and university because "everyone does them" and they get forced into jobs they don't want. Universities are a pyramid scheme for most people to start their lives in debt for very little return.

Senior Member Reputation points: 198007

Quote Originally Posted by abfunders View Post
    Nunya, I don't disagree. The question you raise is the point - Why did she go for the degree in the first place? She thought that the two could co-exist. And since "everyone does it," she's shouldn't be an exception, right?

Everyone is lured into these loans and university because "everyone does them" and they get forced into jobs they don't want. Universities are a pyramid scheme for most people to start their lives in debt for very little return.
    I agree with you.

But I think in a lot of cases there's a lack of accountability. I want to be X but I don't have the resources, so I'll borrow. Now I've got the degree so I can be X but I can't hold down a job. Plus I might also want to try Y but that doesn't pay a lot.

I think there's two issues at odds:
    1. The higher education and student loan system is broken
    2. People don't hold themselves accountable for their decisions

Nunya, very sharply and precisely stated. We've got a classic problem that will be a classic political argument that we'll be hearing a lot about moving forward.

Senior Member Reputation points: 503040

The average college grad makes $1M more over a lifetime than a high school grad (as per multiple studies, including Harvard). That in itself is worth the debt. With that having been said these technical for-profit schools are a sham. Their placement rate is in the gutter. No way they should be subsidized through student loans. With that having been said, the student loan system inflates overall enrollment costs regardless of private or public.

Senior Member Reputation points: 97075

The guys who force MCA customers to sign here to lose everything, are the same bad guys who force all these students to sign there and lose everything.

Question is who will take the blame?

Senior Member Reputation points: 1307

There are a very few universities where Alumni form a scholarship fund for the students who qualify. The money is paid back after they graduate through a pre discussed percentage of their revenue. They cap how much can be paid back by a specified percent and all debt is forgiven if not paid in full after 10 years. However, times of unemployment are added on the back end. Just a rough overview of how it works

Is a college degree leading to higher wages causation or correlation?
    Granted that someone "strives" to go for college and works harder to do it (scholarships, etc), so there's a goal, but I don't think college actually causes higher wages. If it was done better it can be a facilitator, but my gut feeling, after going through the liberal arts university system and having gained certain things while there, is that it's mostly a waste of time and most of it can be learned for cheaper and faster in other ways.