Is Clawback warranted?
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Is Clawback warranted?

did a 300k 2nd recently, 8 month weekly
    merchant missed the 3rd payment, claiming his clients didn't pay them so they couldn't pay.. funder switched to daily and merchant bounced first payment.. funder filed coj 1 day later
    tbh, merchant was being a little unresponsive for 3 days, and would not provide login and was generally being a little evasive, probably trying to figure out what to do..
    funder filed coj, and the next day called merchant and worked out payment plan with modified payments for two months before resuming original payment amount..
    funder claims that once coj filed, auto default and clawback..
    1st pos funder does not use coj in contract. i suspect this funder filed so quick just to get the clawback..

not sure there is a supporting argument here as merchant did bounce the weekly, and then immediately bounced a daily, and did not provide login for 48 hours.. anyway does modified payments within the 30 day clawback period equal a default?

any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by somebroker View Post
    did a 300k 2nd recently, 8 month weekly
    merchant missed the 3rd payment, claiming his clients didn't pay them so they couldn't pay.. funder switched to daily and merchant bounced first payment.. funder filed coj 1 day later
    tbh, merchant was being a little unresponsive for 3 days, and would not provide login and was generally being a little evasive, probably trying to figure out what to do..
    funder filed coj, and the next day called merchant and worked out payment plan with modified payments for two months before resuming original payment amount..
    funder claims that once coj filed, auto default and clawback..
    1st pos funder does not use coj in contract. i suspect this funder filed so quick just to get the clawback..

not sure there is a supporting argument here as merchant did bounce the weekly, and then immediately bounced a daily, and did not provide login for 48 hours.. anyway does modified payments within the 30 day clawback period equal a default?

any thoughts?
    I would say warranted with the caveat that you attempt to negotiate a return of commission should merchant hereafter stay on track and funder gets PIF. If you have a good relationship with them they may work with you.

Senior Member Reputation points: 305505

Quote Originally Posted by OC Funder View Post
    I would say warranted with the caveat that you attempt to negotiate a return of commission should merchant hereafter stay on track and funder gets PIF. If you have a good relationship with them they may work with you.
    correct I will just add that as long as it did not go to a third party collection team .

Banned Reputation points: 179851

Its the Merchants Fault, the Evasiveness, Would I personally have tried to work a lil more??? Yea. But were they fully within their rights to file a COJ, ABSOLUTELY. And it is ABSOLUTELY A CLAWBACK - especially if ISO didnt reach out and help get Merchant back on track

Senior Member Reputation points: 49940

This isn't a default, I dont think a clawback is warranted here. Also, I've never clawed back a commission in my career. If we fund and it goes bad it's on us.

Banned Reputation points: 179851

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony@yellowstone View Post
    This isn't a default, I dont think a clawback is warranted here. Also, I've never clawed back a commission in my career. If we fund and it goes bad it's on us.
    I disagree. Merchants attitude reflects a lot, he was given a chance by reverting back to daily....... then was evasive.

This is a default. But i dont have a heart.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan $ View Post
    Its the Merchants Fault, the Evasiveness, Would I personally have tried to work a lil more??? Yea. But were they fully within their rights to file a COJ, ABSOLUTELY. And it is ABSOLUTELY A CLAWBACK - especially if ISO didnt reach out and help get Merchant back on track
    Didn't have much of a chance to work with merchant.. merchants had been depositing 800k avg monthly, no reason to think to stay on top of it..

found out about missed payment on a wednesday.. contacted merchant, said not to worry he was expecting large wire and would send payment by friday.. funder said he'd switch to daily on monday, that payment bounced and coj was filed on Tuesday.. and then wednesday all is well, funder works out payment terms, and everyone is happy.. except ISO

Senior Member Reputation points: 107104

Quote Originally Posted by somebroker View Post
    Didn't have much of a chance to work with merchant.. merchants had been depositing 800k avg monthly, no reason to think to stay on top of it..

found out about missed payment on a wednesday.. contacted merchant, said not to worry he was expecting large wire and would send payment by friday.. funder said he'd switch to daily on monday, that payment bounced and coj was filed on Tuesday.. and then wednesday all is well, funder works out payment terms, and everyone is happy.. except ISO
    Ouch that hurts. Greenbox clawed back my commission once that missed one payment in the first 30 days even though the default did not happen till 5 months in.Read your iso agreement clearly to see what their policy is.

Senior Member Reputation points: 203690

did merchant sign anything in agreements stating if he missed payments it would revert to daily ach? I agree try work something with lender stating if merchant pays off you get your commission back. Did they remove COJ or it still filed?

Quote Originally Posted by Sachip24 View Post
    did merchant sign anything in agreements stating if he missed payments it would revert to daily ach? I agree try work something with lender stating if merchant pays off you get your commission back. Did they remove COJ or it still filed?
    Still filed. According to lender, once it goes to legal there is nothing that can be done. apparently the legal fees are $20k+ to file some paperwork...

Depends on Funder, I’ve had Funders pay back the clawed once merchant is back on track.

Banned Reputation points: 7898

yes clawback warranted, and yes funder can offer to pay comish back in the unlikely circumstance this merchant pays in full.

Senior Member Reputation points: 14657

Par is now moving to 60 day clawback period.

No thanks.