Looking to underwrite
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Senior Member Reputation points: 26419

Lightbulb Looking to underwrite

Hey all, just looking for some advice, ive been brokering for a little over a year and have seen my fair share of deals and can usually get a good idea of what different funders will offer. I will be starting soon to underwrite smaller deals for my company and wanted to know if there's anything to do to gain some expertise or is time and experience the only real option. Thanks for any info

Senior Member Reputation points: 51397 DTFdowntofund's Avatar

Practice makes perfect. It's going to be a long road, but the best / only way to get into it is simply to just do it. Shadow someone who's more seasoned, and pay attention. I've been underwriting 7 years now, and it's literally going to just be understanding the uw guidelines in your box, and then making mental notes about different situations you come across. Eventually it'll start becoming clearer and you'll be doing it effortlessly. I scrub every single file I get despite the fact that I don't have to, but because the best way to be efficient is to understand the deals you're working on. You'll get there.. just gotta put the work in.

Also familiarize yourself with the different products, and not for nothing, but DF is a good source to get tips on who's funding and what type of paper. Good luck.

Senior Member Reputation points: 26419

Quote Originally Posted by DTFdowntofund View Post
    Practice makes perfect. It's going to be a long road, but the best / only way to get into it is simply to just do it. Shadow someone who's more seasoned, and pay attention. I've been underwriting 7 years now, and it's literally going to just be understanding the uw guidelines in your box, and then making mental notes about different situations you come across. Eventually it'll start becoming clearer and you'll be doing it effortlessly. I scrub every single file I get despite the fact that I don't have to, but because the best way to be efficient is to understand the deals you're working on. You'll get there.. just gotta put the work in.

Also familiarize yourself with the different products, and not for nothing, but DF is a good source to get tips on who's funding and what type of paper. Good luck.

Thanks! Really appreciate it!

Senior Member Reputation points: 86941

your co should have an UW model in place unless your starting a newco.