Game changer? NY to outlaw COJs on small business loans
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Reputation points: 198007

Game changer? NY to outlaw COJs on small business loans

Holy hell, if it goes through it will change everything, I see a need for many more collection agencies, specializing is filing lawsuits and submitting COJ's in all states. Did they mention a time table?

Senior Member Reputation points: 25752

nothing wrong with this - i would consider it a win for the space

Quote Originally Posted by harvey View Post
    true

Prohibit the use of COJs in small business loans under $250,000

Senior Member Reputation points: 60165

Quote Originally Posted by harvey View Post
    dont you know the ramifications ?

most of these lenders give the large approvals for 3rd 4th 5th position by being able to file

this will hurt the industry big time

maybe your happy because your merchant doesn't have to go get a page notarized

but your dollar approval will shrink

Senior Member Reputation points: 503040

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
    It will go back to how things were just a few years ago. 3-4 years ago next to no one used COJs. YSC funded just fine. Most reputable companies did. But when COJs started being used, all these ****ty little F paper stackers (like Mr Advanxe) popped up. Those companies will now die.

Quote Originally Posted by BROKER TIME View Post

most of these lenders give the large approvals for 3rd 4th 5th position by being able to file

But 1st and 2nd position funders will see defaults shrink. They won’t have their merchants getting stacked into bankruptcy. Because of that, they’ll be able to offer larger approvals with longer terms.

And let’s be real, if someone is getting a 4-5th position, they are mostly likely on their way out of business.

Hurt or help?

Now the ****ty D-F paper players are going to have to actually underwrite rather than just base their approval on what the previous funder gave.

Veteran Reputation points: 159073 J.Celifarco's Avatar

I am curious if there is still anyone that think this is all smoke and nothing is going to happen. Can we all finally agree regulation is a real thing and it is coming to this industry sooner rather than later.
    John Celifarco
    Managing Partner
    Horizon Funding Group

3423 Ave S
    Brooklyn, NY 11234
    T: (347) 773-3990 | F: (718) 795-1990
    Linkedin: Profile
    Email: john@horizonfundinggroup.com

Agreed. When you are funding high risk, underwriting matters. "Eyeballs on the file!" Having a COJ has never been the same as having a risk model.

No COJ's would certainly put the interests of the funder and a merchant more in line-

I have been mainly at higher risk funders. None of them just underwrote based on other companies. At most, having an A paper funder meant the merchant had good background, and maybe would give a slightly bigger and longer offer. Who really underwrites just based on what the last guy gave?

Senior Member Reputation points: 50201

Quote Originally Posted by newunderwriter007 View Post
    I have been mainly at higher risk funders. None of them just underwrote based on other companies. At most, having an A paper funder meant the merchant had good background, and maybe would give a slightly bigger and longer offer. Who really underwrites just based on what the last guy gave?
    Well think about it. Every lender wants the deal with the least exposure. So if the client took, 100k 100 days, why should a UW approve more? He just took 100k when he probably wanted 150k. However, the real good UW sometimes will actually look closer at a file and feel more comfortable giving more then previous lenders, but not common.

Quote Originally Posted by Cashman1 View Post
    Well think about it. Every lender wants the deal with the least exposure. So if the client took, 100k 100 days, why should a UW approve more? He just took 100k when he probably wanted 150k. However, the real good UW sometimes will actually look closer at a file and feel more comfortable giving more then previous lenders, but not common.
    I usually cannot give a bigger/longer offer then who came on, simply based on the % of revenue being pulled, and based on our own max underwriting guidelines. However, I have gone bigger&longer on specific deals where the numbers worked.

Senior Member Reputation points: 50201

Quote Originally Posted by newunderwriter007 View Post
    I usually cannot give a bigger/longer offer then who came on, simply based on the % of revenue being pulled, and based on our own max underwriting guidelines. However, I have gone bigger&longer on specific deals where the numbers worked.
    What company do you work for?

Senior Member Reputation points: 5933

I agree with you. I'm not exactly sure how this could possibly be good for the industry.
    Isaac N Mizrahi
    ISO Relations Manager | SPG Advance, LLC
    Office: 212-225-8279
    Mobile: 323-617-1397
    Email: Isaac@SPGAdvance.com
    www.SPGAdvance.com

Senior Member Reputation points: 7717

A COJ is like a QB's O-Line, without it the QB screwed, if COJ's are deemed illegal, what will the funders do that require it, no matter what?

Senior Member Reputation points: 86941

the COJ is very important for alot of companies who fund seconds + and high risk. not sure this will help them at all if it becomes law. they are taking the risk of funding a merchant and also paying out commissions upfront. this in turn, hurts the brokers opportunity for commissions. it looks like bloombergs articles were strategic in nature and accomplished their goals of putting this practice under the microscope.

Senior Member Reputation points: 54989

The biggest issue facing funding companies over the next 2 years will be new players to the market (seeking to fund merchants "ON THE FLASH" -- they may be well known and currently in the financial space). there will be a few upcoming companies that will do almost the A-Z of the business "underwriting-identifying merchant-collecting/servicing" minus the actual cash to place into the deal. This will impact the top of the chain primarily. looking to fund the Prime-Prime merchant.
    Last edited by mcaguru; 01-16-2019 at 11:21 AM.
    Marcus Clapman | Business Development | Cresthill Capital
    (High Commissions Payout Group)
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    Tel: 917-521-6528 | Fax: 212.671.1473
    Email: bizdev@cresthillcapital.com
    http://www.cresthillcapital.com

Senior Member Reputation points: 71352

This is going to separate the men from the boys - this should be good for us in my opinion.
    Thank you,

Lior Monus
    Business Development Manager
    CFG Merchant Solutions

Direct: (646) 880-6764
    Cell: (516) 319-5826
    Fax: (646) 278-7322
    Lmonus@cfgms.com
    180 Maiden Lane New York, NY 10038

www.cfgmerchantsolutions.com

Veteran Reputation points: 159073 J.Celifarco's Avatar

Time to see who actually has an underwriting model and who was just throwing money around counting on a COJ to protect them
    John Celifarco
    Managing Partner
    Horizon Funding Group

3423 Ave S
    Brooklyn, NY 11234
    T: (347) 773-3990 | F: (718) 795-1990
    Linkedin: Profile
    Email: john@horizonfundinggroup.com

every industry benefits from having to pivot in certain ways. innovation will only help. this industry makes money, no one disputes that, so smart money will find a new way no matter what. funders that do not pivot, will die off. funders that do pivot will help benefit brokers as well since they do not want to see their deal flow decline. smart companies are already using your declines as data to create models and are finding ways to lower defaults period. as mentioned, new collection practices will emerge and someone who is forward thinking will capitalize on that. I would not categorize it as "win" or "lose", but change is a good thing.

Senior Member Reputation points: 54989

Quote Originally Posted by Lmonus View Post
    This is going to separate the men from the boys - this should be good for us in my opinion.
    I am sure companies like Mantis and your company never funded a deal based on COJ...banks can foreclose on a house after 30 days and recoupe the value of loan (since the LTV has a 20% cushion) they still always fund a home buyer based on his credentials..income and etc) ..same here anyone whose funding based on a coj should NOT be in our space.
    Marcus Clapman | Business Development | Cresthill Capital
    (High Commissions Payout Group)
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    Tel: 917-521-6528 | Fax: 212.671.1473
    Email: bizdev@cresthillcapital.com
    http://www.cresthillcapital.com