Stop the harassing phone calls!!!
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Senior Member Reputation points: 20465 Fundyman's Avatar

Stop the harassing phone calls!!!

So, one of my merchants has been receiving an insane amount of annoying phone calls ever since his last funding.
    The issue is not the phone calls themselves, but what kind of information gets released during the phone calls!
    • We have your bank statements right here.
    • This is the last 4 digits of your social:
    • Here's your wife's office number. I know I'm calling the right place! This is her extension.
    • I have here your last 2 years of tax returns.
    • Come on, Johnny.. Johnny-O.. Let's do business!
    • Calling the dispatcher, telling him you have important information for Johnny. His last 4 of his social is: XXXX

It gets worse, but those are some of the ones I remember. Is there a way to stop all that nonsense from happening? I mean we all know there is no DNC for B2B, but what happens when folks start reciting personal information to a business owner's employees?

Those business owners haven't authorized anyone to tell their employees what their last 4 of their social is, or even the full SSN! How does one control this? This MCA pest control...? The lack of professionalism. The cursing when told "No!" then, the calling on different lines, like a 9th grader...

Veteran Reputation points: 135672 Chambo's Avatar

Reg-u-la-tion

Veteran Reputation points: 159073 J.Celifarco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chambo View Post
    Reg-u-la-tion
    You're 100% right that this is going to happen and everything the original poster said are reasons it is going to happen.
    John Celifarco
    Managing Partner
    Horizon Funding Group

3423 Ave S
    Brooklyn, NY 11234
    T: (347) 773-3990 | F: (718) 795-1990
    Linkedin: Profile
    Email: john@horizonfundinggroup.com

Veteran Reputation points: 135672 Chambo's Avatar

Johnny, the problem is that this industry is full of lil spoiled kids, who demand to do whatever they want, rules and regulation be damned. If regulation does rear its head some way, instead of buckling down and playing by the rules, they will just look for some clever clandestine way to circumvent the law and continue doing business as usual

Veteran Reputation points: 159073 J.Celifarco's Avatar

Johnny, the problem is that this industry is full of lil spoiled kids, who demand to do whatever they want, rules and regulation be damned. If regulation does rear its head some way, instead of buckling down and playing by the rules, they will just look for some clever clandestine way to circumvent the law and continue doing business as usual
    It comes down to if people are in this for the long haul or are just trying to make some quick bucks and run. For those of us who have been here for a while and plan on staying, we are the ones who are going to get screwed by he actions of a small group of people trying to make some money and who will run the second regulation comes
    John Celifarco
    Managing Partner
    Horizon Funding Group

3423 Ave S
    Brooklyn, NY 11234
    T: (347) 773-3990 | F: (718) 795-1990
    Linkedin: Profile
    Email: john@horizonfundinggroup.com

I would cease working with whoever you funded those merchants with and call your insurance broker to CYA because when the lawsuits fly, everyone gets named as a co-defendant. If a UCC gets filed your merchants will often get called on their business line; that's public data and part of the game. However, the information you're describing should not be available to random scumbags, and you don't want to find yourself in court when it's discovered that the fly by night funder you did business with (and accepted commission payment from) didn't take data security seriously. I understand the need to monetize as many leads as possible, but there's also an obligation on us as a community to protect merchants and not send their sensitive information to criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by j.celifarco View Post
    it comes down to if people are in this for the long haul or are just trying to make some quick bucks and run. For those of us who have been here for a while and plan on staying, we are the ones who are going to get screwed by he actions of a small group of people trying to make some money and who will run the second regulation comes
    yes!!!!! This!!!!!!
    Adam Ward
    911 Ave U
    Brooklyn NY 11235
    adam@Funding-Zone
    347-269-1598

Senior Member Reputation points: 43599 brokerCompany's Avatar

Have your merchant threaten legal action

Senior Member Reputation points: 23085

I would have your merchant register his number on the DNC, if a call was done by auto dialer you got them on multiple penalties from robo calling and calling a DNC number. Get an atty in on the game plan to work on a contingency basis. Do this for all of your merchants after funding as a free service. Also advise him to lock his credit with the bureaus.

At least you can benefit financially from the nuisance. Just an idea

Senior Member Reputation points: 203690

have merchant go through with it until he finds out the definite company, then sue their ass until they tell him who sold off his app to them.

Senior Member Reputation points: 20465 Fundyman's Avatar

All very much appreciate feedback, guys. Thank you very much. It's one thing to be persistent when dialing, to the point of being a pain in the ass. It's another thing to give out sensitive information over the phone, saying nasty things, and redialing simply for the purpose of harassment.

Senior Member Reputation points: 118209 ridextreme's Avatar

Stop submitting your deals to third world no name funders because they called you to offer you x more points. Use reputable funding sources and your clients apps and bank statements won't be sold on the black market.

Senior Member Reputation points: 8875 Enablement Data's Avatar

Agreed.

Someone buy this man a drink.
    DataOps
    Enablementdata.com
    DataOps@enablementdata.com
    433 Broadway
    New York, NY 10013

Senior Member Reputation points: 8875 Enablement Data's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fundyman View Post
    So, one of my merchants has been receiving an insane amount of annoying phone calls ever since his last funding.
    The issue is not the phone calls themselves, but what kind of information gets released during the phone calls!
    • We have your bank statements right here.
    • This is the last 4 digits of your social:
    • Here's your wife's office number. I know I'm calling the right place! This is her extension.
    • I have here your last 2 years of tax returns.
    • Come on, Johnny.. Johnny-O.. Let's do business!
    • Calling the dispatcher, telling him you have important information for Johnny. His last 4 of his social is: XXXX

It gets worse, but those are some of the ones I remember. Is there a way to stop all that nonsense from happening? I mean we all know there is no DNC for B2B, but what happens when folks start reciting personal information to a business owner's employees?

Those business owners haven't authorized anyone to tell their employees what their last 4 of their social is, or even the full SSN! How does one control this? This MCA pest control...? The lack of professionalism. The cursing when told "No!" then, the calling on different lines, like a 9th grader...
    The truth is people are so stuck on their ways from what marketing worked in the past and that it never goes out of style.

Adapt. Evolve. Adjust.

But they will never understand....
    DataOps
    Enablementdata.com
    DataOps@enablementdata.com
    433 Broadway
    New York, NY 10013