Merchants conducting business via personal accounts
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Merchants conducting business via personal accounts

I have run into this scenario much too often where a merchant is conducting business via his/her personal account. 20% of my funding inquiries fall under this category. I can of course tell them to open a business account - but that does not help me or the merchant at that moment. Any ideas because I see this trend continue to increase due to internet businesses and the ease with which merchants can attach card processing to non-business accounts. Let me know if you've run into similar situations and/or have any ideas on this front.

Senior Member Reputation points: 23702

Maybe you are fishing in the wrong pond. Seems to me that any business with substantial revenues would typically use a business bank account. What would be the benefit to using a consumer account for business?

Veteran Reputation points: 135672 Chambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bostriba View Post
    I have run into this scenario much too often where a merchant is conducting business via his/her personal account. 20% of my funding inquiries fall under this category. I can of course tell them to open a business account - but that does not help me or the merchant at that moment. Any ideas because I see this trend continue to increase due to internet businesses and the ease with which merchants can attach card processing to non-business accounts. Let me know if you've run into similar situations and/or have any ideas on this front.
    Personal accounts have more restrictions against ACH (see: Operation Choke Hold), so funders are super wary of them. Plus, how many of the deposits are actual business being done...and maybe a paycheck from an employer? Or a birthday check from Uncle Bob?

A forum user Reputation points: 2147483647 Sean Cash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chambo View Post
    Personal accounts have more restrictions against ACH (see: Operation Choke Hold), so funders are super wary of them. Plus, how many of the deposits are actual business being done...and maybe a paycheck from an employer? Or a birthday check from Uncle Bob?
    ditto. Stay away from personal accounts. It damages the presumption that the merchant is acting in a commercial capacity.