Opinions on credit manipulation (boosting)...
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Hybrid View

Senior Member Reputation points: 12169

Personally I think it is fine for a couple reasons:

1) We don't care about the headline score, we care about the actual report items themselves. IMO 35% of the time score is not representative of credit quality anyways. If your living and dying on the score your lazy and/or under-educated on the merchants in this space.

2) From my experience these services just help clear up minor collections issues and open up small secured and unsecured credit cards and credit lines. The same basic thing you'd find by googling how to boost your score.

3) If a merchant is actually taking the time, and even spending money, to increase their credit score it shows they care about their credit score and credit-worthiness. This is almost always a good thing to have in a merchant not a bad thing.

Senior Member Reputation points: 18667 jdlaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lendvo View Post

1) We don't care about the headline score, we care about the actual report items themselves. IMO 35% of the time score is not representative of credit quality anyways. If your living and dying on the score your lazy and/or under-educated on the merchants in this space.

2) From my experience these services just help clear up minor collections issues and open up small secured and unsecured credit cards and credit lines. The same basic thing you'd find by googling how to boost your score.

3) If a merchant is actually taking the time, and even spending money, to increase their credit score it shows they care about their credit score and credit-worthiness. This is almost always a good thing to have in a merchant not a bad thing.
    This was done all the time back in the day when I was doing mortgages. The key is legally. The fact is most of the time, inquiries, misreported accounts, etc are knocked
    out that results in a 50 point bump. Of course if the credit fixer is really skilled, you can get third party collection accounts removed through validation (most don't have the
    records required to support the collection activity.) but they will be readded when they roll the quarterly tape
    You either win or you learn. The only failure is in quitting.

Karen37a
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlaw View Post
    This was done all the time back in the day when I was doing mortgages. The key is legally. The fact is most of the time, inquiries, misreported accounts, etc are knocked
    out that results in a 50 point bump. Of course if the credit fixer is really skilled, you can get third party collection accounts removed through validation (most don't have the
    records required to support the collection activity.) but they will be readded when they roll the quarterly tape
    this is correct

and the medical bills are challenged based on the hippa act and privacy.

Rapid rescore is the term they use for Bank Loans and mortgages.

Most people who have been in the industry awhile can glance over a credit report without a score and guess what the credit score will be.

This is also why it's dangerous putting too structured thinkers in charge of underwriting because sometimes they pick the wrong files. They choose to fund the Restaurant guy with the 750 credit score who has no people skills and the food is marginal at best; while I will choose Vito the pizza guy with the lower score who is flipping pies like a showman who has the best pizza and sauce in town.

Vito is still going doubled his revenue the other 750 guy is under defaulted , blaming the financing costs as the reason for his demise

My credit score was down to 400 something during my florida debacle...798 now,,, some people bet on the wrong horse again
    Last edited by Karen37a; 09-20-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Senior Member Reputation points: 33996

Quote Originally Posted by Lendvo View Post

1) Just because I start a thread about credit doesn't mean I'm living and dying on it. But in some cases it can make the difference needed to get the deal closed. And I choose to have as many arrows in my quiver as possible.
    2) If that's your experience then frankly, you lack experience. There is more that can be done, for instance... adding seasoned trade lines can make an immediate significant difference.
    3) Good point.

Senior Member Reputation points: 12169

lol, you've probably got me on #2 a little, I don't know all the tricks that credit boosting services do. Never delved too deeply into it. That said it is our practice to discount fresh accounts in our UW methodology.