Kevin is not 100% correct, IMHO. If he was, then why would you be able to charge 10 points on an MCA deal? If you truly are working for the client, then make the client pay you 100% from a separate fee agreement, or let him pay you a salary as a consultant, even if you didn't procure a loan. It's a lie that you the needs of the client come before your needs - the customer is always right when they tell you, "I want this for free."

The "classic" broker isn't in sales. The "classic" definition of a broker is someone who builds relationships between lenders and borrowers, acts as the go-between, like a matchmaker.

There are people who "sell cash on the phone," but there are some of us who don't like doing that. Maybe we make less "sales," but maybe we also maintain some integrity (some people don't care - they're salesmen), maintain sanity, and more importantly, I don't feel bad telling a lender "no, I went with another one because the rate was better or I am getting more points from them" since I'm not working for the lender, or for up-selling the client, nobody's offended. I'm working for myself, keeps me totally clean. And I can charge both or either side if I feel I need to.

Sometimes an MCA is the best idea, sometimes the merchant himself doesn't realize there's another option, but wants an MCA - you're going to argue and only take 2 points? If you worked for him, you would argue with him to get him a better term. Instead, I'm a middleman who helps the lender find where to disperse money, and helping a merchant/client (or even broker!) find where to get it from on terms both of them can live with. I have funders who'll give me overrides.... I have a client who does online marketing who wanted to get his client a loan, asked me for help. I sent him through Bluevine instead of an MCA. After not speaking for months after taking a draw, they started speaking again, and now they have a real marketing relationship - merchant is paying my ISO much better than if we'd taken 10 points, and he's drawing from Bluevine now monthly because he has a digital marketing expert.

As long as the borrower likes the funder and the funder likes the borrower, and then the rate/terms (with my fee mixed in) is a deal the client can live with, then it's a win-win.

Otherwise, you're a salesman working for many funders. Which is fine, it's just not my business model.