Long Money vs. Short - Figured we could debate this here
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Hybrid View

Does anyone on this board challenge my position that IF a merchant qualifies for a 3 - 5 year loan w/out any prepayment penalty they are better off then with an MCA or daily debit product ? And it takes right about the same amount of time to get the money.

Senior Member Reputation points: 2893

Quote Originally Posted by amikassar View Post
    Does anyone on this board challenge my position that IF a merchant qualifies for a 3 - 5 year loan w/out any prepayment penalty they are better off then with an MCA or daily debit product ? And it takes right about the same amount of time to get the money.
    Define "About the same amount of time."

In most instances, the 5-7% of Merchants that qualify would be better off with a long-term program, obviously. Those that do qualify usually don't turn to us in the first place

Your turn: Your blogs I have read explains MCA as if it is a traditional loan, repeatedly applying an APR to it. Why don't you explain that it is technically not a loan? Do you not trust your readers to understand or are you just trying to steer people away from our product?

@jsl23 because i think that every time a small business owner borrows money or "advances" money which to them is basically the same thing - they should understand the true cost so they can make an intelligent decision about whether or not they're making the best possible decision for their business and livelihood

Senior Member Reputation points: 2893

If I sell someone $100,000 at a 1.30 the true cost is $30,000. I am purchasing $130,000 worth of future sales for $100,000 right now. Simple. Easy. Sensible for those that need an infusion of cash/capital immediately. All the APR does is make the process a lot more complicated than it really is or should be. If I get them a 12 month term does their opportunity to improve/increase their business justify the $10,000 per month cost? The answer to that is what helps them make the best business decision.

Senior Member Reputation points: 12452

@jsl23 because i think that every time a small business owner borrows money or "advances" money which to them is basically the same thing - they should understand the true cost so they can make an intelligent decision about whether or not they're making the best possible decision for their business and livelihood
    But you continue to omit other factors such as collateral and personal guarantees and docs and all the other factors that differentiate the two products. This is why myself and a few others keep reminding you that you are not comparing apples to apples. All things being equal, a merchant should probably take the longer payment option, but things are not equal and you are either not understanding that or intentionally ignoring it. Have you ever thought that a small business owner may not want to carry debt on their balance sheet for 3-5 years. Or maybe they dont want to put their home up to receive a loan. Or perhaps, if business slows down and they have to close their doors, they wouldn't want to have to file for personal bankruptcy?

It would be great to think that if they didnt want to carry the debt, they would simply take all the cash they were saving and use that to prepay as you mention, but if you know business owners as well as I do than the difference in monthly payment isn't going into their bank account to start accruing interest. It's out the door as quickly as it comes in.

Banned Reputation points: 306

Are you making two arguments or one?

I saw two arguments in this thread:

1. 3-5 year term loans are the "death knell" for MCA.
    2. Merchants who can qualify for 3-5 year term loans are better off suited taking those loans.

On the second argument I think everyone here pretty much agrees. I'd like to know your thoughts on how exactly 3-5 year term loans will decimate MCA (an assiduously growing market).