Refusing To Allow Payoff
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Senior Member Reputation points: 12169

Refusing To Allow Payoff

We have a merchant we are trying to consolidate with several positions. Merchant claims that Expansion refuses to allow another lender to payoff their balance and will not issue a payoff letter.

I cannot verify that what the merchant is telling us is true but I would not be surprised at all if this is true since we have encountered similar issues at other shops.

Anyone have any experience with this issue with Expansion and if this practice -if alleged is true- is even legal?

Senior Member Reputation points: 99426

In an unregulated industry I guess this is as legal as anything else. In the past funders only accepted payoffs because it was customary or good for their cash flow. But if they really want to keep their customers, they can just refuse to be paid off.
    Last edited by MCNetwork; 08-11-2017 at 03:12 PM.
    Archie Bengzon
    Jumpstart Capital
    archie@jumpstartcapital.biz
    www.jumpstartcapital.biz

Senior Member Reputation points: 4807

Quote Originally Posted by MCNetwork View Post
    In an unregulated industry I guess this is as legal as anything else. In the past funders only accepted payoffs because it was customary or good for their cash flow. But if they really want to keep their customers, they can just refuse to be paid off.
    This may be the case but it's a pretty dumb way to retain clients. If I was the client I would be pissed off at Expansion and would never use their services ever again. Holding someone "hostage" like this may be legal but it's still offensive and bad business practice.

On the other hand, there could be more to this story. I've seen cash companies that won't honor early payment discounts unless the funds come directly from the merchant. This makes perfect sense to me. If there is an early pay discount at stake I could see why. If not, Expansion is trying to make enemies with someone on their books.

Veteran Reputation points: 135672 Chambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lendvo View Post
    We have a merchant we are trying to consolidate with several positions. Merchant claims that Expansion refuses to allow another lender to payoff their balance and will not issue a payoff letter.

I cannot verify that what the merchant is telling us is true but I would not be surprised at all if this is true since we have encountered similar issues at other shops.

Anyone have any experience with this issue with Expansion and if this practice -if alleged is true- is even legal?
    I've never seen or heard of that from Expansion.....they have NO PROBLEM getting paid off.

Now what is probably going on, is Expansion offers prepay discounts in their contracts, and the merchant is probably trying to demand prepayment discount, while taking money from another source. Those discounts only apply if paying off yourself.

Senior Member Reputation points: 503040

Personally I think the merchant may be providing misinformation. I'd be surprised if Expansion is doing what is being claimed.

Senior Member Reputation points: 33996

American Express does this too

Senior Member Reputation points: 15507

Quote Originally Posted by Chambo View Post
    I've never seen or heard of that from Expansion.....they have NO PROBLEM getting paid off.

Now what is probably going on, is Expansion offers prepay discounts in their contracts, and the merchant is probably trying to demand prepayment discount, while taking money from another source. Those discounts only apply if paying off yourself.
    That's the problem of early discount addendum, the merchants never pay off early unless another funder gets involved.

Senior Member Reputation points: 12169

Quote Originally Posted by Chambo View Post

Me either frankly. My thought is that there is either a discount issue, merchant is lying, or the sales rep/broker he has dealt with before is giving him fake news to save his own renewal book.

Veteran Reputation points: 135672 Chambo's Avatar

That's why some funds don't even waste time giving them out. 99.97% of the time, they are never used

Senior Member Reputation points: 107104

Why will they refuse? They can just fund him again tomorrow in another account.

Banned Reputation points: 554

following