Noisy Office?
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Noisy Office?

My employer recently started bringing on some additional employees, and as a result, it has gotten pretty noisy in the office. Unfortunately, all of the chatter is audible to the merchant on the other side of the phone. I know when I pick up my phone and hear a bunch of voices talking behind the one that called me--all talking about the same thing--it elicits a negative response from deep inside my bones. That reaction is probably due to a lifetime of calls regarding "Your Microsoft PC is running slowly," "You qualify for a grant from the US Government," "Have you looked into solar energy," or some other ridiculously annoying claim. I'm all for a high-energy, competitive office environment, but I also think there's something to be said for the one-on-one feeling that comes with a conversation between two people. What do you guys think?

Senior Member Reputation points: 32550 Funder Mark's Avatar

Get a headset, preferably one that is noise-canceling. Amazing investment, especially if you can also use it for music.

Senior Member Reputation points: 8424

Get a white noise machine to drown out the noise and designate a quite space in the office for a war room to close deals.

Quote Originally Posted by MCABroker View Post
    Get a white noise machine to drown out the noise and designate a quite space in the office for a war room to close deals.
    Hahaha I wish. White noise would just make the loud people talk louder and there is no such thing as a "quiet space" in our office, it's not that big. We have long desks with no dividers, nothing to absorb the sound except the carpet on the ground and the tiles on the ceiling.

Senior Member Reputation points: 307559

Quote Originally Posted by DaveDemarest View Post
    Hahaha I wish. White noise would just make the loud people talk louder and there is no such thing as a "quiet space" in our office, it's not that big. We have long desks with no dividers, nothing to absorb the sound except the carpet on the ground and the tiles on the ceiling.
    tell them to stop being cheap and get sound absorbing dividers. i would go crazy without those

Karen37a
    Tell the merchant ..." I am sorry but you are actually calling a real company, I am not a broker sitting in the basement of his grandma's house in his dirty socks and underwear"

dont say this but its true**some brokers in their house play loud office sound music to seem genuine

Perception
    Last edited by Karen37a; 07-20-2017 at 08:50 AM.