A Peek Into Stephen Sheinbaum's Crystal Ball: A Look At The Future Of Small Business
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Senior Member Reputation points: 3217 CO1's Avatar

A Peek Into Stephen Sheinbaum's Crystal Ball: A Look At The Future Of Small Business

Senior Member Reputation points: 12452

Thanks for sharing. I went back and read the previous article he mentions. Here is the link if anyone is interested:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/tykiisel...rned-a-corner/

A forum user Reputation points: 2147483647 Sean Cash's Avatar

He works for Lendio and tends to feature companies they sell leads to. So it's great that he's also a forbes contributor but take each story with a grain of salt.

Senior Member Reputation points: 52185 ADiamond's Avatar

he sure likes to throw the term "loan" around a lot.
    Anthony Diamond
    Underwriter

Banned Reputation points: 306

Quote Originally Posted by sean bash View Post
    He works for Lendio and tends to feature companies they sell leads to. So it's great that he's also a forbes contributor but take each story with a grain of salt.
    There was absolutely nothing newsworthy here. A great Lendio customer (MCC) got a PR9 back link.

Senior Member Reputation points: 20156

Quote Originally Posted by JayBallentine View Post
    There was absolutely nothing newsworthy here. A great Lendio customer (MCC) got a PR9 back link.

The link is only valuable if people click it.

Senior Member Reputation points: 10944

This should've been a commercial on late night public access....I found nothing noteworthy in that article. Sean, I find your articles in the magazine more informational.

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
    The link is only valuable if people click it.
    Incorrect. Each time a link is made to your site on a site that Google considers "important" it enhances your ranking in search. When people search; "your product" you will have a better chance of being discovered.

A forum user Reputation points: 2147483647 Sean Cash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndyYSCISOdept View Post
    This should've been a commercial on late night public access....I found nothing noteworthy in that article. Sean, I find your articles in the magazine more informational.
    thanks man

Lendio is going to create a bunch of pissed off Merchants in short order. They have what is supposed to be an educational PDF for download where they ply businesses with incorrect information. Just as an example, the call MCAs loans where the merchant can "borrow" money at an interest rate of 18% to 22%. First, the range isnt even accurate if it was an "interest rate". MCAs arent loan and the money isnt borrowed! Thats just one example. Going in behind that trying to educate a merchant and tell them the "expert advice" they received was wrong is going to create problems. Obviously its designed to get the merchant to apply, but what happens if the end up getting a factor of 1.35 and think that they are getting screwed because Lendio claimed "interest" was in the range of 18 to 22%? Bad Ju Ju in my opinion and reeks of Bait & Switch tactics!

Veteran Reputation points: 135672 Chambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ERS View Post
    Lendio is going to create a bunch of pissed off Merchants in short order. They have what is supposed to be an educational PDF for download where they ply businesses with incorrect information. Just as an example, the call MCAs loans where the merchant can "borrow" money at an interest rate of 18% to 22%. First, the range isnt even accurate if it was an "interest rate". MCAs arent loan and the money isnt borrowed! Thats just one example. Going in behind that trying to educate a merchant and tell them the "expert advice" they received was wrong is going to create problems. Obviously its designed to get the merchant to apply, but what happens if the end up getting a factor of 1.35 and think that they are getting screwed because Lendio claimed "interest" was in the range of 18 to 22%? Bad Ju Ju in my opinion and reeks of Bait & Switch tactics!
    Not to mention the attention of local state authorities for Usury ("So, you are offering unlicensed loans at 22%?!)

That too! Back in the early 90s I had what was once the largest online mortgage banking firm in the country. My company had two sides LendingPad.com which originated residential and commercial mortgages in 48 States. LenderPad.com generated leads for the likes of BOA, Wells Fargo, Suntrust, IndyMac, and more. I had to upgade from a Broker License to a Lender license and obtain multistate licensing just to be in compliance to generate leads in other states. Lendio will, mark my words, find themselves in Compliance Hell if they dont make some changes post haste.

Incorrect. Each time a link is made to your site on a site that Google considers "important" it enhances your ranking in search. When people search; "your product" you will have a better chance of being discovered.

Wrong actually. That alone was the case before the penguin update, but since, one of the changes is that a link to a high ranking page alone does not give you ranking, the link has to be engaged by unique users. If you add links to your site that no one clicks, it poisons your site.

Quote Originally Posted by ERS View Post
    I agree, they don't know the market well enough to quote anything and there are too many variables for them to say something, they're in the lead business not the funding business.

Wrong actually. That alone was the case before the penguin update, but since, one of the changes is that a link to a high ranking page alone does not give you ranking, the link has to be engaged by unique users. If you add links to your site that no one clicks, it poisons your site.
    So you're saying that earning (not purchasing) high PR links does not help in ranking? I am a bit confused here.

Senior Member Reputation points: 99426

Franklin is confusing links to your site (from high ranking sites) with links from your site to other sites. The first method is EARNED links (good) and the second one is UNEARNED links (bad).

Quote Originally Posted by MCNetwork View Post
    Franklin is confusing links to your site (from high ranking sites) with links from your site to other sites. The first method is EARNED links (good) and the second one is UNEARNED links (bad).

What I'm saying is that it now takes more than a simple link to a high ranking page to achieve consistent rankings, earned or unearned.
    There are certain activities required now as well as far as clicks, votes, anchor text, on page location, and other aspects that you would identify with webmaster tools and analytics, and knowing where the Google juice is coming from.

What I'm saying is that it now takes more than a simple link to a high ranking page to achieve consistent rankings, earned or unearned.
    There are certain activities required now as well as far as clicks, votes, anchor text, on page location, and other aspects that you would identify with webmaster tools and analytics, and knowing where the Google juice is coming from.

I don't think anyone refutes anything you're saying. My point was they earned a valuable link. Agree?

I don't think anyone refutes anything you're saying. My point was they earned a valuable link. Agree?

It's the beginning of value, sort of like setting a foundation for the house, but without building the house yet, so in that light, agreed.
    Last edited by Franklin; 06-10-2014 at 08:47 PM.

Link to Lendio's educational PDF that ERS is referencing?