Square expands into small business loans
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Hybrid View

My guess is Square has no clue. How many remember the days when IPayment and other processors got into the MCA businesses thinking "I know my customers, I don't need special MCA underwriting and collections rules?" Even First Data has scaled back from their venture into MCA.

They don't know how to make money on their core business...

"Today the Wall Street Journal–citing unnamed people in-the-know– reported that Square lost $100 million in 2013 and is quickly eating up its $340 million supply of venture cash. Because of the cash bleed–Square is seeking a suitor desperately." http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenbe...do-it-quickly/

Veteran Reputation points: 135672 Chambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown View Post
    My guess is Square has no clue. How many remember the days when IPayment and other processors got into the MCA businesses thinking "I know my customers, I don't need special MCA underwriting and collections rules?" Even First Data has scaled back from their venture into MCA.

"Today the Wall Street Journal–citing unnamed people in-the-know– reported that Square lost $100 million in 2013 and is quickly eating up its $340 million supply of venture cash. Because of the cash bleed–Square is seeking a suitor desperately." http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenbe...do-it-quickly/
    ODC started back in 2007 with 12 month 1.09's. then went to 1.12's, then cut them to 6 months. Then went to 1.18's

Now they are giving buy rate deals out at 6 month 1.28's

A forum user Reputation points: 2147483647 Sean Cash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chambo View Post
    ODC started back in 2007 with 12 month 1.09's. then went to 1.12's, then cut them to 6 months. Then went to 1.18's

Now they are giving buy rate deals out at 6 month 1.28's
    I am wondering if funding circle and dealstruck will encounter similar results. Their terms are longer and rates a lot lower, but their payments are monthly. I think the profitability of their models have to be tested.

1.28 6 months they better be throwing in 10,000 flyer miles with that pricing.

Banned Reputation points: 306

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown View Post

Good stuff. My play: buy Dwolla and dis-intermediate Visa/Master. Triple - quintuple revenue per transaction in the process.

The Dwolla guys have this 10 year vision that's downright scary.