OnDeck Capital Prepares to File for IPO
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Hybrid View

Senior Member Reputation points: 13325 isaacdstern's Avatar

Sean-the article you wrote on MPR regarding the OD IPO was one of the best articles I have seen recently. It really represented both sides of the pro/non pro Ondeck argument.

A forum user Reputation points: 2147483647 Sean Cash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by isaacdstern View Post
    Sean-the article you wrote on MPR regarding the OD IPO was one of the best articles I have seen recently. It really represented both sides of the pro/non pro Ondeck argument.
    Thanks Isaac. I appreciate that. It is hard to ignore that OnDeck has just as many critics as they do fans.

Banned Reputation points: 306

Quote Originally Posted by sean bash View Post
    Thanks Isaac. I appreciate that. It is hard to ignore that OnDeck has just as many critics as they do fans.
    100% agree with Isaac on the quality of this piece. I think the motivation for the IPO can be found in the term sheets of successive rounds of funding.

Early investors want out. That's why they bought in to begin with... To make 10x their cash in 7 years or so.

An argument can be made for desperation being the driver.

Also, the media as it does with every IPO, including Facebook, will try to excoriate OnDeck. They will undoubtedly use the OnDeck customers that have been stacked on and stacked out of business. "Write first ask questions last."

Veteran Reputation points: 135672 Chambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayBallentine View Post
    100% agree with Isaac on the quality of this piece. I think the motivation for the IPO can be found in the term sheets of successive rounds of funding.

Early investors want out. That's why they bought in to begin with... To make 10x their cash in 7 years or so.

An argument can be made for desperation being the driver.

Also, the media as it does with every IPO, including Facebook, will try to excoriate OnDeck. They will undoubtedly use the OnDeck customers that have been stacked on and stacked out of business. "Write first ask questions last."
    Early investors are already out. What do you think round 5, 6 and 7 of financing paid for?

Banned Reputation points: 306

Quote Originally Posted by Chambo View Post
    Early investors are already out. What do you think round 5, 6 and 7 of financing paid for?
    I just can't see Google Ventures and Peter Thiel paying off early investors when they came in on later rounds... Could be wrong. Just don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chambo View Post
    You couldn't be more wrong. About almost everything you are saying on this thread.