Long Money vs. Short - Figured we could debate this here
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Hybrid View

But if he had a choice - go long always?

I would argue that there are times for certain conveniences i overpay for milk, but i stop on the way home at a gas station, and do not have to waste time at publix.
    Nathan Warshaw
    President
    Warshaw Consulting
    770-672-7177
    770-500-2437
    nwarshaw@2warshaws.com

A forum user Reputation points: 2147483647 Sean Cash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nwarshaw View Post
    But if he had a choice - go long always?

I would argue that there are times for certain conveniences i overpay for milk, but i stop on the way home at a gas station, and do not have to waste time at publix.
    Well since the article seems to be directly aimed at something I wrote, I'll just copy and paste the original point I made.

"As short term business lending critics herald the emergence of 3-5 year term business loans, I think it’s important to remember that they are catering to a market that likely has different goals. Long terms are often not appropriate for borrowers with working capital needs."

Go long always? No. Go long if it really makes sense. Would I borrow 10k over 5 years to buy inventory today? Definitely not. I'd want in and then I'd want out. Obviously I'd weigh the costs of all my short term options so long as they were all short term.

Sometimes critics don't believe this argument because they think we don't actually know what it's like to be in a business owner's shoes. A lot of people on this site run businesses or have run them in the past, myself included.

As a magazine publisher, I can't see any reason to consider a 5 year loan. Any talk of something of that length would be a non-starter for me. I have no desire to start writing in payments owed in the year 2019 on my calendar.