Walter Mcpeek - Fraud
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Walter Mcpeek - Fraud

Just brought in a deal, and the merchant claimed to be a woman by the name of Ming Kyung Delaney. The whole time working on it I was a little weirded out because the merchant sounded exactly like a man, but I don't ask those questions. You never know when a merchant is politically correct, maybe she transitioned?

Anyways, in final review, we realized that the merchant had A) taken funding from Fora yesterday B) Was not actually the person he/she claimed to be.

Turns out that the phone number I had been talking to was tied to her landlord, Walter Mcpeek, who has some felony charges for forgery, and was pretending to be her all along.

This was a pretty wild ride. Has anyone ever had contact with this merchant, or experienced anything like this before?

(I hope Fora has good lawyers).

Senior Member Reputation points: 14091

Quote Originally Posted by Yonah E View Post
    Just brought in a deal, and the merchant claimed to be a woman by the name of Ming Kyung Delaney. The whole time working on it I was a little weirded out because the merchant sounded exactly like a man, but I don't ask those questions. You never know when a merchant is politically correct, maybe she transitioned?

Anyways, in final review, we realized that the merchant had A) taken funding from Fora yesterday B) Was not actually the person he/she claimed to be.

Turns out that the phone number I had been talking to was tied to her landlord, Walter Mcpeek, who has some felony charges for forgery, and was pretending to be her all along.

This was a pretty wild ride. Has anyone ever had contact with this merchant, or experienced anything like this before?

The landlord had access to the merchants accounts?

Member Reputation points: 13

I actually had a merchant a few years ago, the DL was a woman named Kelly but the whole time I was in touch with a man who claimed to be this woman.

It was so strange because I had a strong hunch something was fishy with this guy but didn't know how to approach it. I wasn't gonna be like " The merchant's a woman and you sound like a man ".

No open positions but was a small 12k to a Deli in CA. Anyways I got the deal funded and it defaulted after 3 payments.

From my understanding, he helped her a bit with the company, so she gave him access. She doesn't speak English very well, so I guess he helped her a bit, but I can't imagine she saw this coming.

I know who you're talking about I have info and know where they are.

Senior Member Reputation points: 56344

Ming Kyung Delaney sounds too close to Ming Chen Dynasty, and sounds likes a troll off jump...

Senior Member Reputation points: 56344

Quote Originally Posted by Southern_Funding View Post
    I actually had a merchant a few years ago, the DL was a woman named Kelly but the whole time I was in touch with a man who claimed to be this woman.

It was so strange because I had a strong hunch something was fishy with this guy but didn't know how to approach it. I wasn't gonna be like " The merchant's a woman and you sound like a man ".

No open positions but was a small 12k to a Deli in CA. Anyways I got the deal funded and it defaulted after 3 payments.

This sounds almost like one of my online dates I never went on. Glad I didn't get in that car, I don't need that type of default in my memories (no diddy).

Senior Member Reputation points: 18841

Funny how these problems are easily solved with a proper identity verification / instant checkout solution, yet these supposedly large funders (like Fora) are unable to put something together.

Senior Member Reputation points: 12699

Sounds like one hell of a clown.

Quote Originally Posted by mca2150 View Post
    Funny how these problems are easily solved with a proper identity verification / instant checkout solution, yet these supposedly large funders (like Fora) are unable to put something together.
    That's not why the fraud occurs. If the Driver's License or SSN being provided don't match the background report that's usually enough to pause or kill the file. The issue is the Driver's License and SSN match the background report, but the person you're speaking to is not that person. The only way to minimize fraud is to ensure the merchant is calling from the same last known telephone number on the background report and that the caller's voice sounds like the gender and age of the person that is applying. The problem with THAT is that a lot of brokers will get frustrated at you killing a file for the person calling from the wrong number or the voice sounding off. A lot of brokers think that is an insignificant reason to kill a file, even though it's one of the only ways for funders to minimize the chances they are speaking to a fraudster.

Senior Member Reputation points: 18826

Anti fraud measures I’ve seen that appeared to be pretty effective, were asking mostly non-invasive questions About their past, with answers only they would know:

-Telling names of a family member or loved one

-Knowing previous 1 or 2 previous addresses you lived at

-Knowing the name and color, and year make and model, of your first purchased car, and the year you purchased it

-Telling the year you were married

-Telling the hospital you were born in

-High school attended

Most con artists are lazy and don’t bother taking the time to do that research. Pros are a different story, but they’d be putting their talents to bigger scores than this.

www.UccRadar.com – Large sales volume merchants filling out your application.

Walter has been doing this since 1991.

real people...if the original poster gets ahold of me I can assist.
    Last edited by Buckeye1223; 04-24-2024 at 01:09 PM. Reason: relevance

From my understanding, he helped her a bit with the company, so she gave him access. She doesn't speak English very well, so I guess he helped her a bit, but I can't imagine she saw this coming.
    she didn't see It when she married him

Senior Member Reputation points: 18841

Quote Originally Posted by NotALoan View Post
    That's not why the fraud occurs. If the Driver's License or SSN being provided don't match the background report that's usually enough to pause or kill the file. The issue is the Driver's License and SSN match the background report, but the person you're speaking to is not that person. The only way to minimize fraud is to ensure the merchant is calling from the same last known telephone number on the background report and that the caller's voice sounds like the gender and age of the person that is applying. The problem with THAT is that a lot of brokers will get frustrated at you killing a file for the person calling from the wrong number or the voice sounding off. A lot of brokers think that is an insignificant reason to kill a file, even though it's one of the only ways for funders to minimize the chances they are speaking to a fraudster.
    There is much more effective identity verification out there used in MCA and many other businesses. Identity verification shouldn't rely on asking questions or verifying forwarded documents. It's easy to catch this type of fraud with the right technology.

Senior Member Reputation points: 122873 BR-Nightmare's Avatar

Yes, and much worse than this.

Once discovered it's an easy kill. However I have come across plenty of Reps that push hard to overcome the discovery.

Reps, a piece of advice. The UW is not the one you try to "overcome the objection" when the evidence is clear.

Keep the Andy Elliot training for the Merchants, not the funders.
    The Brokers Nightmare
    I don't want peace, I want problems, ALWAYS!
    Florida-Based

Quote Originally Posted by mca2150 View Post
    There is much more effective identity verification out there used in MCA and many other businesses. Identity verification shouldn't rely on asking questions or verifying forwarded documents. It's easy to catch this type of fraud with the right technology.
    What is this technology you know of that tells you the identity of the person you are speaking with over the phone sight unseen?

Senior Member Reputation points: 9983

What is this technology you know of that tells you the identity of the person you are speaking with over the phone sight unseen?
    There are links that can be sent to the phone number and a selfie has to be taken, (you have to smile to make sure it's not just a picture as well). I'm pretty sure plaid does this if not plenty of other companies. When you complete Crypto KYC, they typically do this sort of verification.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenhippo80 View Post
    There are links that can be sent to the phone number and a selfie has to be taken, (you have to smile to make sure it's not just a picture as well). I'm pretty sure plaid does this if not plenty of other companies. When you complete Crypto KYC, they typically do this sort of verification.
    What if the person is using a landline and not a cell phone?

What if the person is using a landline and not a cell phone?
    Maybe they should be required to use a cell phone to verify who they are. 97% of adults aged 18–49 own a smartphone and 76% of adults aged 65 and older own one.

Maybe they should be required to use a cell phone to verify who they are. 97% of adults aged 18–49 own a smartphone and 76% of adults aged 65 and older own one.
    Yeah, I'm sure that explanation will go over REALLY well with the broker whose file I am killing because the guy doesn't own a cell phone

lol you asked for a product that would verify someone without being there and I gave a possible solution. It's up to the funders discretion to to use it or not. Also, the could use any cellphone to do it... it just requires the merchant to take a picture of their DL along with a live selfie. If they really needed the money, they could find a family, friend, or coworker with a cell phone to be able to do this.

lol you asked for a product that would verify someone without being there and I gave a possible solution. It's up to the funders discretion to to use it or not. Also, the could use any cellphone to do it... it just requires the merchant to take a picture of their DL along with a live selfie. If they really needed the money, they could find a family, friend, or coworker with a cell phone to be able to do this.
    Again...how does that tell me that the person taking the selfie is the person I am talking to on the phone?

What I am trying to get at here is that there is NO way for me to know who I am speaking with on the phone. I can make an educated guess using certain factors and ASSUME that in all probability the person I am speaking to is the merchant, but is there a way for me to know 100%? No, because I am not physically speaking with the person face-to-face. Even if the call is coming from the last known number, a relative or friend could be using the merchant's phone, with or without their knowledge/consent. All they have to do is hand their phone off to someone who is the same gender and roughly the same age, and I would be none the wiser.

It's one of the reasons fraud is so rampant in this industry.

Lots of funders started using KYC ID verification where the merchant has to take a picture of their license and then a selfie to match up that the person who is actually taking the funding is actually the owner of the business.
    This is the easiest way to ensure that fraud like this does not occur and it is not a big pain for the ISO / merchant.

Senior Member Reputation points: 221291

Lots of funders started using KYC ID verification where the merchant has to take a picture of their license and then a selfie to match up that the person who is actually taking the funding is actually the owner of the business.
    This is the easiest way to ensure that fraud like this does not occur and it is not a big pain for the ISO / merchant.
    Just beware, don't rely on that entirely. Someone recently posted on LinkedIn that an ISO submitted to a KYC had a DL and picture that passed everything, but they still somehow caught that it was AI-generated. I saw the pictures they posted, they looked "too perfect". I'll be honest, the Jewish-sounding name (like "David Goldstein" or something) didn't have an owner who looked like he was likely Jewish.