Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Leaving voicemails?

When you're calling leads, do you leave voicemails on your first dial? One of my coworkers believes that if he doesn't leave a voicemail during the first round of calls, the merchant is more likely to answer on the second round of calls because they'll be thinking, "The is the second time this person is calling, who are they and what do they want?" I tend to leave voicemails on each round, but I wanted to see what everyone else's takes are.

Senior Member Reputation points: 51665

Quote Originally Posted by DaveDemarest View Post
    When you're calling leads, do you leave voicemails on your first dial? One of my coworkers believes that if he doesn't leave a voicemail during the first round of calls, the merchant is more likely to answer on the second round of calls because they'll be thinking, "The is the second time this person is calling, who are they and what do they want?" I tend to leave voicemails on each round, but I wanted to see what everyone else's takes are.
    Your co-worker has a smart tactic

If they don't leave a message I know its spam/scam.

jotucker1983
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDemarest View Post
    Your co-worker isn't making any sense. Merchants are getting sales calls by the dozen per day, for a variety of things from merchant processing, cash advance, to God knows what else.

If you call someone and they aren't available, you leave a voicemail if you want them to call you back. Otherwise, the person doesn't know who to callback or if a callback is even being requested as (to them) you could have likely called the wrong number.

Most predictive dialers allow you to quickly push a button to leave a pre-recorded voicemail, so not sure what's the issue about leaving voicemails.
    Last edited by jotucker1983; 07-11-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Senior Member Reputation points: 301165

How many rounds do you call of one set of data?

Senior Member Reputation points: 158630

Quote Originally Posted by Michael I View Post
    ^ Now this is a simple yet tremendously complex question.

Senior Member Reputation points: 99426

On a cold call, don't leave a voicemail and put the phone number back in the dialer queue. Leaving a voicemail allows the recipient to jump to conclusions about you and puts you at a disadvantage. You want to catch him live and have a shot at engaging him. I used to leave voicemails in the past and I think the response rate was less than 1%. I decided to save my vocal chords for actual conversations.

Now if you're responding to a legitimate inquiry from the business owner, then it's okay to leave a voicemail identifying yourself and the purpose of the call.
    Archie Bengzon
    Jumpstart Capital
    archie@jumpstartcapital.biz
    www.jumpstartcapital.biz

Quote Originally Posted by Michael I View Post
    You call until they tell you to put them on the DNC list, say they are not interested or you send them an application. Now if your data set only has a handful of names, I'd probably space the calls out a few days. The data sets I've used have hundreds or thousands of names, so you're only calling the same number 2-3 times a week.
    Last edited by MCNetwork; 07-12-2017 at 08:44 AM.
    Archie Bengzon
    Jumpstart Capital
    www.jumpstartcapital.biz

jotucker1983
    Quote Originally Posted by MCNetwork View Post
    On a cold call, don't leave a voicemail and put the phone number back in the dialer queue. Leaving a voicemail allows the recipient to jump to conclusions about you and puts you at a disadvantage.
    Lol, Archie what disadvantage? By not leaving a voicemail, you are failing to communicate and market whatever message it is you are trying to send to the prospective client. Seeing as though most prospective clients are "hit and miss", by not leaving a voicemail, you fail to create the opportunity of actually communicating whatever message/pitch you have to the prospective client.

I used to leave voicemails in the past and I think the response rate was less than 1%. I decided to save my vocal chords for actual conversations.
    Again, if you are calling a ton of numbers then you should be using a web based predictive dialer, which allows you to push a button to leave a pre-recorded voicemail.

And the response rate to voicemails might be 1% - 3% let's say, in terms of "callbacks", but understand you aren't calling the prospect one time anyway. When you call them back let's say a second time and catch the person, they will also remember the voicemail you left which means the call isn't a complete "blind/cold" one as much anymore. Very similar to if you sent them material in the mail and followed up with a telephone call to "discuss it".
    Last edited by jotucker1983; 07-13-2017 at 12:06 PM.

Senior Member Reputation points: 5110 LJH365's Avatar

While what John says is a valid point, I have always maintained that the amount of time spent waiting for the greeting to play and then leaving a message takes too long. Let's say at 45 seconds a pop, and you get voicemails all day, you are eating into time that could be better served dialing more people. Not to mention its tiring after a while.

I've run sales offices since the early 90's and I gave up leaving voicemails long ago. Although, and I will sound sexist here, I have always instructed any female reps to leave messages as they tend to be returned at a much higher rate than their male counterparts.

The argument could be made that so few voicemails are left these days that by leaving one you are standing out from the crowd. And a buyer who is ready, but legitimately unavailable at the time, would probably be a good catch with a voicemail.

BUT- obviously any hot /real time leads should be left a few voicemails.
    Sean Hawley
    CEO
    Bright Light Funding
    Bright Light Freight
    shawley@brightlightfunding.com.com
    631-827-3847
    Term Loans, LOC, MCA (focus on Transportation & Trucking)

Quote Originally Posted by jotucker1983 View Post
    Lol, Archie what disadvantage? By not leaving a voicemail, you are failing to communicate and market whatever message it is you are trying to send to the prospective client.
    The disadvantage of the business owner saying to himself "Oh no...it's another one of those damn cash advance loan shark guys. This is the tenth call today! I'm putting him on ignore." Boom! You've just lost a prospect before you had a chance to talk to him. And what would your message say anyway? "Hey Mr. Merchant, this is John from Brinks Funding. We've got some great rates on working capital solutions for your trucking business blah blah blah." They've heard this same message dozens of times before so you're not saying anything different from the next Tom, Dick and Harry. Unless you're offering a compelling product and value proposition that the merchant's probably never heard of before, skip the voicemail. At least the next time you call, he may be curious enough to pick up and see what it's about.
    Last edited by MCNetwork; 07-13-2017 at 08:11 PM.
    Archie Bengzon
    Jumpstart Capital
    www.jumpstartcapital.biz

Senior Member Reputation points: 34509 Jstarr's Avatar

Grant Cardone, who has one of the largest sales training organizations in the US would disagree with not leaving VM's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgVyOUasf0I
    Last edited by Jstarr; 07-13-2017 at 08:16 PM.
    Jerry Starr
    Insource Funding
    433 Plaza Real, Ste 275 Boca Raton, Fl 33432
    P: 800-805-3391 Fx: 561-270-6895
    Jerry@insourcefunding.net | insourcefunding.net

WHAT WOULD YOU DO " IF " YOU HAD THE CAPITAL

Quote Originally Posted by Jstarr View Post
    Grant Cardone who has one of the largest sales training organizations in the US would disagree with not leaving VM's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgVyOUasf0I
    Again it depends on the product. Grant Cardone is selling a unique sales training course. He can craft a compelling voicemail around it. We are selling expensive money which is no different than what a hundred other brokers are selling.
    Archie Bengzon
    Jumpstart Capital
    www.jumpstartcapital.biz

I spent a lot of money on Grants sales training for my reps and as a sales trainer for years I preach that you SHOULD leave a voice mail. You are missing out on so many opportunities period!

Which magic voicemail message are you using that is bringing you so many opportunities? Inquiring minds want to know!
    Archie Bengzon
    Jumpstart Capital
    www.jumpstartcapital.biz

Archie are you talking to me?

Archie I am anointed on this topic. Let me help you out. Its about nailing the intro in this business when it comes to cold calls. If you have a basic pitch like that I would hang up the phone on a broker or lender. You have to be different. My voicemail's that I leave are different thats why they call me back. I dont get a ton of people telling me to take them off the list or dont call me any more. You have to understand the value of a take away and motivators for some one to make a decision with you. Plus on top of that I dont call the masses of azzez lol. I call the right people to begin with. I know my prospects market I know the ups and downs and I can speak their industry language. Plus I have a killer follow up system. 12 different unique ways of following up. 95% of my deals are first position with A-C credit revenue of 100k per month or more. You got to know what to say when you are on the phone.

wallerbusiness, I agree with you. I was talking about a voicemail for the masses of azzez. I find that it's not useful.

Of course, if you have something unique to say that is specifically tailored to an industry, then by all means leave a voicemail.
    Last edited by MCNetwork; 07-13-2017 at 08:47 PM.
    Archie Bengzon
    Jumpstart Capital
    www.jumpstartcapital.biz

Karen37a
    If you leave a voicemail on the first phone call they will block the second call or give you one-half of one second to say hi then hang up or curse you on the next call if they ever pick up again....Now legally you are supposed to leave a VM message if you are calling out.

In no way shape or form leaving a message on the first call will generate $$$. If it was true people would robo dial messages and have great results.Or pay some piker min wage to do it all day.

Also if you work for someone, when the rare few call back If you have a sneaky call manager they will snag the call...or the top producers bribe the secretary to pass

Pretend like you paid $200 for the lead...if its a restaurant, do not just call it at lunch etc. ...do not blow your $200 lead on a nonsense VM which they will hear then block you

Another saying ...Curiosity Killed the Cat, but Satisfaction brought him back
    Last edited by Karen37a; 07-13-2017 at 10:17 PM.

Im not in the MCA lending space anymore, we are Real estate Lenders, when customers call us about Real Estate financing its usually because we left them a VM, and my calls get returned..

when we were in the MCA space and our staff called prospects - we never had an issue getting the app of docs because we weren't pitching them, we used the consultive sales approach. Sometimes speaking in third party -and to this day 5 years later i have old clients calling me asking whom to call to get MCA's, and thats because we spoke to them like real people and not some guy calling, reading from a script and didn't understand the industry that the potential borrower was in therefore couldn't speak to them on a level playing field.

Just today a broker called me looking for leads - so i reached out to a pizza chain with about 50 units that was a customer of mine and said exactly this,

" Hey Jim, Jerry Starr - I know its been a while since we last spoke and im sure you've already blown thru that $2M i got you several years ago, i have a broker that works for me that will be calling today cause im sure something has come up and you might need more cash..... he said - As a matter of fact i was just thinking about that, please have him call me.." the broker called and got the app.

This is an easy business, most people over think it and are trying to hard. your Selling money, and everyone needs it you just need to help them understand what they need it for.........

Sell or Be Sold, when you hang up the phone with the client, one of you won the battle, either you sold them or they sold you on why its not a good time....
    Jerry Starr
    Insource Funding

Karen37a
    Most sales people hate scripts because they are poorly crafted.

the best scripts transfer emotion thru the phone, drive or pull to a conclusion...you must use tonality and be trained on it...then you are like a master weapon...yes yes yes yes yes yes close...

Leaving vms is the blind squirrel finding a nut system
    Last edited by Karen37a; 07-13-2017 at 09:50 PM.

Karen37a
    "hi this is Karen with Xyz Capital, this is a sales call, do you want to hang up on me or call me back after you heard 100 other VM's from various funders/Brokers daily?" ( get off my phone )..."WAIT did I tell you I can beat the rate!!" ( if you call me again ill call the police)

sorry had to do it lol

Ps they never called back on a grand scale when they invented massive phone telemarketing, with low competition, back in the olden days (in my old industries...wall st )

For some of you, that was even before cell phones and the internet.
    Last edited by Karen37a; 07-13-2017 at 11:05 PM.

jotucker1983
    The disadvantage of the business owner saying to himself "Oh no...it's another one of those damn cash advance loan shark guys. This is the tenth call today! I'm putting him on ignore." Boom!
    Archie if the merchant is going to say that to my voicemail, he's going to say that to my email, my letter in the mail, my live telephone call to him, my radio ad, my TV ad, my website ad, or to my face if I pop up at the location. You know why? Because he's not interested.

It's as if you are saying the voicemail is going to make you "lose the sale". If you lose the sale because you left a voicemail, you never had a "sale" to begin with.

And what would your message say anyway?
    It would detail whatever pitch/message I'm trying to rely to said prospective client, which is the goal of any form of business marketing.

At least the next time you call, he may be curious enough to pick up and see what it's about.
    We are calling retail locations and other very busy business outlets. As a result:

- Most prospects are "hit and miss"

- Most prospects aren't going to remember a "number off a caller ID"

- If you don't leave a message, you never called/you don't exist/your message never got through

Leaving a voicemail (multiple voicemails over time) and the prospect randomly calling you back when he has time, might be the only legitimate way to communicate with the guy.

Some guys you can't get a hold of through live calls, you might can only get a hold of him through leaving a voicemail, and/or shooting an email, and/or sending a letter in the mail, and/or popping up at the location.

As a result, a Rep should utilize all "reasonable/legal" forms of business marketing at their disposal, to communicate to their target market about the availability of their offerings.
    Last edited by jotucker1983; 07-13-2017 at 11:11 PM.

_____ all im going to say is if your having trouble with your sales pitch, deciding to leave a VM or Not - find a mentor that is successful and learn from them, Study them, absorb everything they do and craft it to your personality...

i mentioned Grant Cardone before, not only do i know him but hes build a Billion Dollar Company Training Sales people and a $780MM real estate portfolio in my back yard ...and He Preaches, Screams and will pound it in your head to ALWAYS LEAVE A VM...... It doesn't mean that you need to say " Hi this is jim from XYC merchant cash advance company please call me" It could be as easy as saying " Hi Jim its Jerry Starr, when you get a minute could you give me a call"

Everybody is over thinking this - The MCA business is easy, Have fund with it, Tweak your call pitch daily until one sticks - your Selling Money and everyone wants it ..... EASY

Here is a stupid analogy,

If you were sick, would you want to speak to a doctor or someone that flunked out of medical school ?

the same goes for the MCA boiler room, dont take advice from someone that isn't doing better than you regarding call strategy, Leaving VM's or not - when the best time to call etc... , success is surrounding yourselves around successful people - Fnd the ones that are Uber successful and LEARN FROM THEM..
    Jerry Starr
    Insource Funding

Karen37a
    I've studied the VM vs the nonvoice mail in MCA not real estate. I was a mortgage broker/insurance broker for 13 years with 300 licensed brokers on my team( in a company I owned ) and sales trainer. I built that organization starting with me....and before that a Stockbroker for another 15( and partner on a small firm ), want me to write a book ? Or charge for training because I should.

Leaving VM on the first call is not effective for all the reasons I said and MCN said ....I am actually amazed that mcn knows those things.( sorry mcn you are wayy better than I thought you were ...not that I thought you were bad lol )

This industry is not like others...uccs listed and merchants being hammered with phone calls. High-cost advances, stacking.Toughest competition known to mankind...Makes Wall st look like Main St

The Merchants do not feel like we are their "friend" and leaving a vm does nothing but alert them that a shark is coming and put their defenses up even higher to the point they are not listening to your words when you do get ahold of them. Get the person on the phone and have a great opening...you have 30 seconds to pitch and capture his attention.

If that Grant person would like to place a bet. I can go head to head on gathering leads and closing on him. I put my head down I can come up with 20-30 qualified leads per day, he will get maybe 2-3 or 3-5 repeating some crazy VM over and over, he seriously will not have a chance in hell, especially since I am moving fast ... In fact I will take the bet from almost anyone. My last employer called me Gordon Gekko and some brokers called me Wolf of wall st, one idiot used to crawl around on his knees in the office and howl at the moon as I walked by as he blanked all month. ( they thought it was an insult calling me that )

I do not even let it get past 4 rings ...next next next next

I am not here to give advice then debate the df ....people should take advice from people in the MCA industry. (no offence to anyone ) Its slightly different than the others. I can tell you this ...if Isaac ever starting giving me tips on what to do (even though I do not send alot of business to him ) Id grab a pen shaddap and listen.

I am sure he would say "speak softly and carry a big stick"
    Last edited by Karen37a; 07-14-2017 at 09:44 AM.