Reflecting on this past year there was a lot that I have learned. I have been around capital markets for over 25 years and am always eager to evolve and learn to better serve customers. After all....servicing customers is how we make a living.

Capital Markets is an ever changing environment. There are always new ways to do business, new products, and new players in the industry. The one constant there has been over the years is that all facets of financial services and capital markets is relationship driven. You MUST know your customer, understand their needs, and always put their interest ahead of yours. In building relationships with providers of capital it is important to understand what they do, how they operate, and how they treat their customers. Do they encourage them to win?

I have received a bunch of calls from new potential customers, new advisors, and new brokers. In efforts to find new sources of deal flow, I have relaxed some old guidelines that I have used over the years. The environment is flooded with me too capital providers (or those that claim to be), new brokers with little to no experience, and some interesting characters. I am going back to some old rules and am interested in hear some other rules that other professionals use.

-If I don't know you, it always a good idea to call me and then e-mail me with your full contact details. Free e-mail accounts will not be read. Blocked calls will not be answered. And for God's sake...use your real name!
-If there is something in your background or your client's background I should know about, be upfront about it. Everyone makes mistakes, but if it is not disclosed it will be a non-starter.
-If you call my phone multiple times without leaving a message, chances are....I am not calling you back. I am a very responsive person. If I don't answer my phone, chances are I am helping a customer or someone who is helping their customer.
-Don't make it hard for people to connect the dots.