Debanked Article Ideas
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Debanked Article Ideas

1) How many of the owners of the big ISOs/Funders already sold out their business, cashing in, foreseeing the leveling off of the growth in our industry. So a profile on them and realizing it was smart to cash in when they did. For example, interviews with Dave Gilbert of National Funding, Adam Stettner of Reliant. That's just SoCal. Probably a bunch of others in NYC.

2) Covering the world of underwriters, data analysts, and Senior Level Risk Analysts which have rose from the ranks to become top execs for some of the big fintech companies. A path seldom discussed, but much more lucrative than being the top salesman if they can rise to the top. Maybe cover both sides of it, the ones right out of school with a big dream, and the ones that make 7 figures as the Risk Analyst for a Kabbage or an Ondeck.
    Last edited by Fly; 06-22-2016 at 04:09 AM.

Senior Member Reputation points: 16720

I work in credit risk at a fintech company. Nobody is making 7 figures on salary+bonus. At shops where you can syndicate into deals you might have global cash flow in the 7 figure range once you build a large enough book, but that isn't cash from operations that is cash from investment activity. You can argue that as a banker all income is cash from operations, but that seems disingenuous to me.
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt

Senior Member Reputation points: 99426

A risk analyst at Kabbage or On Deck probably makes $60k tops lol. The only ones making 7 figs are probably Noah Breslow and Isaac Stern.

Senior Member Reputation points: 54977

Quote Originally Posted by MCNetwork View Post
    A risk analyst at Kabbage or On Deck probably makes $60k tops lol. The only ones making 7 figs are probably Noah Breslow and Isaac Stern.
    It would not surprise me if over a dozen people in the MCA space are making 7 figs. we got some big players in our space. (from David goldin and the list goes on...)....
    Marcus Clapman | Business Development | Cresthill Capital
    (High Commissions Payout Group)
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    Tel: 917-521-6528 | Fax: 212.671.1473
    Email: bizdev@cresthillcapital.com
    http://www.cresthillcapital.com

Veteran Reputation points: 158919 J.Celifarco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mcaguru View Post
    It would not surprise me if over a dozen people in the MCA space are making 7 figs. we got some big players in our space. (from David goldin and the list goes on...)....
    why does anyone care what anyone else makes??? Put your head down do a good job, if you dont think you are properly compensated go work for someone else.. I really dont think anyone should be dropping peoples names and speculating on what they make..
    John Celifarco
    Managing Partner
    Horizon Funding Group

3423 Ave S
    Brooklyn, NY 11234
    T: (347) 773-3990 | F: (718) 795-1990
    Linkedin: Profile
    Email: john@horizonfundinggroup.com

Senior Member Reputation points: 10944

For he record there are probably a S*** load people in the space doing what Jcelifarco has suggested (keeping their heads down) and making a Eff ton of money...I don't think it is necessary for any of us on this board to speculate.

Let us all move on from soethign other than what others are making

Senior Member Reputation points: 54977

Quote Originally Posted by J.Celifarco View Post
    why does anyone care what anyone else makes??? Put your head down do a good job, if you dont think you are properly compensated go work for someone else.. I really dont think anyone should be dropping peoples names and speculating on what they make..
    you stand correct..i was only commenting to someone saying only 2 people when you got strategic,can capital,credibly and the list goes on that do very well? regarding how much other people make i will let you guess which of the Forbes magazine issues sell the most??? hint it got 400 in the name..
    Marcus Clapman | Business Development | Cresthill Capital
    (High Commissions Payout Group)
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    Tel: 917-521-6528 | Fax: 212.671.1473
    Email: bizdev@cresthillcapital.com
    http://www.cresthillcapital.com

Senior Member Reputation points: 99426

I bought that issue. I just think it's inspirational to quantify the success stories, especially for those starting out or those veterans who may be struggling. No harm in being curious. It's human nature
    Last edited by MCNetwork; 06-22-2016 at 03:12 PM.

jotucker1983
    Quote Originally Posted by MCNetwork View Post
    I bought that issue. I just think it's inspirational to quantify the success stories, especially for those starting out or those veterans who may be struggling. No harm in being curious. It's human nature
    While it could be "motivational", the reality is that unless a rep can duplicate the competitive advantage/resources that said other rep has, it's going to be difficult to match the performance.

We all were thrilled by Juan from Yellowstone's story on Debanked back in February, in how he closed $47 million in deal flow last year. However, when you got down to the "details" based on what was mentioned on the forum from those within Yellowstone, this volume was due in part to ISO deals and leads from Yellowstone's direct marketing program.

What Juan did was amazing, but if I had hundreds of thousands being spent a month in marketing from Yellowstone to produce inbound leads, in combination with being assigned the ISO Manager for a sea of brokers (allowing me to count their volume within my deal flow as well) then I would be funding significantly high volumes like Juan did .

But it's virtually impossible for an external small shop to match that level of performance, so again, while these stories can be motivational, the execution of "copying" said performance becomes extremely difficult if you do not have the marketing budget and strategic network that Juan had.

Many always try to tie their success to being some "exceptional" salesperson, when the reality (as I've stated prior) is that success in this business is based on either having strategic networks, large marketing budgets, and/or exclusive data.

I wasn't putting a spotlight on the role of analyst so that we could all be envious of how much they make. It was more of pointing direction to these young guys out of college or in their 20s that this is really a great career path they could work toward and be very lucrative if they work hard, get in with the right company, and by the time they are in their 30s be making a lot of money and have a very high position in a firm.

Instead of the quick buck that so many young guys try to grab at these sales in this industry, yeah it's good money for a 25 year old, but it's cyclical and temporary in 99% of cases.

For those you saying these risk analysts don't make money, it's not entirely true. Sure, if you are an entry level underwriter at New Logic, you are probably making whatever that job pays. Everyone has to start somewhere. But I wouldn't have brought it up if I I didn't know people in this industry that have been very successful at attaining high level positions making 7 figures doing it. And that experience doesn't tie you down to MCA. These experienced analysts can take that to mid-large level banks, mortgage companies, VCs, PE firms.

Veteran Reputation points: 135029 Chambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    I wasn't putting a spotlight on the role of analyst so that we could all be envious of how much they make. It was more of pointing direction to these young guys out of college or in their 20s that this is really a great career path they could work toward and be very lucrative if they work hard, get in with the right company, and by the time they are in their 30s be making a lot of money and have a very high position in a firm.

Instead of the quick buck that so many young guys try to grab at these sales in this industry, yeah it's good money for a 25 year old, but it's cyclical and temporary in 99% of cases.

For those you saying these risk analysts don't make money, it's not entirely true. Sure, if you are an entry level underwriter at New Logic, you are probably making whatever that job pays. Everyone has to start somewhere. But I wouldn't have brought it up if I I didn't know people in this industry that have been very successful at attaining high level positions making 7 figures doing it. And that experience doesn't tie you down to MCA. These experienced analysts can take that to mid-large level banks, mortgage companies, VCs, PE firms.
    Reminds me of when Mike Caronna came to Second Source and told me he was using MCC as a springboard to Goldman Sachs.....and I put him on total blast.