Truckers and refrigeration
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Senior Member Reputation points: 7360

Hey fellow funders,

I have been funding a lot of trucking companies lately. I guess I made the mistake of saying I would fund truckers.

So far, all of them are going nicely though.

But I have a question though. On a string awhile back on DF we were talking about truckers and as I recall, someone made a comment about staying away from truckers that are into refrigerated units, as they felt that added a lot of risk. This is just from memory, but it stuck in my head.

I was wondering if that is your experience?

I am kicking the tires on consolidating a trucking company that is also looking for cash out to purchase some refrigerated units, so this cobwebbed memory came back.

Any insights would be welcomed.

Best,

Dan Page
    dan@fundingstrategypartners.com

Senior Member Reputation points: 2165

As a former fleet manager, the only thing I would think to increase the risk over a trucker pulling regular freight would be the "reefer", the refrigerated trailer, going out or not set at the right temperature. We used to ship live plants so a reefer going out, or being set at the wrong temperature from the get go, would kill a full 53' trailer worth of plants.

Then the trucker has to fight over liability.

Just more things that can go wrong, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
    As a former fleet manager, the only thing I would think to increase the risk over a trucker pulling regular freight would be the "reefer", the refrigerated trailer, going out or not set at the right temperature. We used to ship live plants so a reefer going out, or being set at the wrong temperature from the get go, would kill a full 53' trailer worth of plants.

Then the trucker has to fight over liability.

Just more things that can go wrong, that's all.
    Thanks bsmith!

Senior Member Reputation points: 2697

Hey Dan,

I factor a lot of refrigerated carriers. The only requirement I have when they are refrigerated is they must have gps tracking on their trucks and the trailers and we teamed up with a GPS tracking company that will also track the temperature on the freight.

The biggest risk with refrigerated freight lies on the timing of the delivery and the temperature

Hope this helps.

Senior Member Reputation points: 2165

Quote Originally Posted by VFG View Post
    Hey Dan,

I factor a lot of refrigerated carriers. The only requirement I have when they are refrigerated is they must have gps tracking on their trucks and the trailers and we teamed up with a GPS tracking company that will also track the temperature on the freight.

The biggest risk with refrigerated freight lies on the timing of the delivery and the temperature

Hope this helps.
    Spot on, which GPS company are you referring to that includes temperature tracking?

Quote Originally Posted by VFG View Post
    Hey Dan,

Hope this helps.
    Thanks VFG!