Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Senior Member Reputation points: 50566 ADiamond's Avatar

Best NY-based commercial bank that is financial services-broker friendly?

I'm sure many have experienced the refusal to start a banking relationship or they'll open your account then shut it down within a week; Chase, BofA, TD, Citi, etc.

What are the best Manhattan-based options for 1099s/brokers/"financial consultants" ?

Also, best way is a reference to an account manager, if anyone can DM.

Looking for a local Midtown branch, ideally but not required.
    Anthony Diamond
    Underwriter

Senior Member Reputation points: 216519

Chase has been solid for most I think. Most brokers I know have a Chase account.

Online banks that are friendly include Axos and Mercury. Not sure why you need a branch. Axos sucks from a UX and UI standpoint and they don't allow simple things like third party apps to connect. But they're a true bank. Mercury is a Fintech company using a bank as their product, but it's such an enjoyable experience.

Senior Member Reputation points: 50566 ADiamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abfunders View Post
    Chase has been solid for most I think. Most brokers I know have a Chase account.

Online banks that are friendly include Axos and Mercury. Not sure why you need a branch. Axos sucks from a UX and UI standpoint and they don't allow simple things like third party apps to connect. But they're a true bank. Mercury is a Fintech company using a bank as their product, but it's such an enjoyable experience.
    Appreciate it, but Chase is actually the top 3 worst in NY, if not #1. Shut down numerous times, no questions, no answers. Acct opened, shut down after 1st transaction - letter in the mail "Sorry."

You must have an actual long standing relationship there or they do not know the whole of the business type.

Didn't think about online banks but "meh" I guess, worst-case scenario. I say branch in general, not necessary but important to have an actual acct manager relationship IMO to assist where needed with a personal touch.
    Anthony Diamond
    Underwriter

Senior Member Reputation points: 119752 BR-Nightmare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ADiamond View Post
    Appreciate it, but Chase is actually the top 3 worst in NY, if not #1. Shut down numerous times, no questions, no answers. Acct opened, shut down after 1st transaction - letter in the mail "Sorry."

You must have an actual long standing relationship there or they do not know the whole of the business type.

Didn't think about online banks but "meh" I guess, worst-case scenario. I say branch in general, not necessary but important to have an actual acct manager relationship IMO to assist where needed with a personal touch.
    I remember Truist (back when it was BB&T) would work. But I was there over 5 years ago. I know they are HQ'd in NC but I know they have branches up there.

Have you checked them?
    The Brokers Nightmare
    I don't want peace, I want problems, ALWAYS!
    Florida-Based

Quote Originally Posted by ADiamond View Post

Dunno, I have a few colleagues using Chase. Maybe if you're funding it's worse. The FinTech banks like Mercury won't take you on if you're lending money, but I tell them very clearly that I'm only a broker and I don't lend any money, they're cool with that. All of the funders seems to be using Optimum in Florida. However Axos might be a good choice (despite the non-personal touch), they're huge the lending space and told me "we like brokers" and they do a lot of the loans for WBL in certain states. However they're horrific when it comes to sending a wire, they have waaaaaaay too much security, because they're using netteller's UX/UI interface and I'm sure you've run into banks who are using it. No Plaid, no Decision Logic, and if you log into their system from outside of the state without telling them you're traveling, you will get locked out and you have to call them and verify your account to get it unlocked. And they often require a security check that includes the type of questions you get when you're doing a self-check on your credit report, like "Which of the following streets is closest to XYZ street that you lived on on when you were 15?"

Make sure that you have an online presence for the online banks. State in the application clearly that you're not a lender, you're a broker and don't touch other people's money.