What Happened to That Thread?
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Administrator Reputation points: 55342 admin's Avatar

What Happened to That Thread?

Hey it's me again and a thread disappeared so you're probably mad about it, so here's the deal. There is a pervasive problem going around in which a scammer registers a company that has exactly the same name or one very similar to another company. The scammer then conducts its scheme under that name, knowing that victims will blame the real company, who doesn't know this is happening, instead. This has actually been going on for many years and has been well documented.

The recent thread, now since removed, questioned unusual activity, albeit with very limited context. Nevertheless a company with a very similar name contacted us and expressed that such activity was an example of stolen identity that is already being pursued through legal means. They asked that it be taken down since it was not actually them that did it, but an alleged impostor, and the impostor's actions are being attributed to their reputation. As we are unable to ascertain the actual truth of the matter, the thread has been removed in the meantime, since such a scheme, if true, is not unheard of.

I expect that you will be unhappy with the decision either way but in any case wanted to provide some transparency into why the decision was made.

Senior Member Reputation points: 56332

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Hey it's me again and a thread disappeared so you're probably mad about it, so here's the deal. There is a pervasive problem going around in which a scammer registers a company that has exactly the same name or one very similar to another company. The scammer then conducts its scheme under that name, knowing that victims will blame the real company, who doesn't know this is happening, instead. This has actually been going on for many years and has been well documented.

The recent thread, now since removed, questioned unusual activity, albeit with very limited context. Nevertheless a company with a very similar name contacted us and expressed that such activity was an example of stolen identity that is already being pursued through legal means. They asked that it be taken down since it was not actually them that did it, but an alleged impostor, and the impostor's actions are being attributed to their reputation. As we are unable to ascertain the actual truth of the matter, the thread has been removed in the meantime, since such a scheme, if true, is not unheard of.

I expect that you will be unhappy with the decision either way but in any case wanted to provide some transparency into why the decision was made.

Which thread was it? Just asking so I know not to look for it....

Senior Member Reputation points: 12684

Rough stuff. Could have been a thread for the ages

So you are saying some one is impersonating Imap and its not the real imap doing the scam?
    why not just check court and see which imap it is ??

Sean - how many imap posts have you had to take down in the past 2 years ?
    10? 15?
    Last edited by mcafunders; 02-02-2023 at 03:20 PM.

Also, who is interested in impersonality imap?

i get if u want to hide by a big company...

sean either your are naive or you really couldn't care less whats happening to these merchants

Administrator Reputation points: 55342 admin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mcafunders View Post
    sean either your are naive or you really couldn't care less whats happening to these merchants
    It is extraordinarily challenging to manage this forum given all the competing interests and legal ramifications that come with everything said on it. Many decisions are legal decisions that will inevitably disappoint some people.

It is extraordinarily challenging to manage this forum given all the competing interests and legal ramifications that come with everything said on it. Many decisions are legal decisions that will inevitably disappoint some people.
    fully understood - why you want to get into a legal issue over something that was posted by someone else abt someone else on ur forum.

but i think you gotta give the ppl something

or at least just tell them that ur taking teh post down since u dont want legal issue instead of saying that it could be an impersonation situation

Senior Member Reputation points: 12684

Did some digging. Imap is a subsidary of Benny Aryeh.

Your not to allowed to talk badly about Benny Aryeh on this forum.

Hench, deletion of thread.

The End

Senior Member Reputation points: 24994

I definitely get it. It is better to err on the side of caution & I have never ran/managed a forum but how is this forum different than say reddit? Reddit does remove content all the time but it is normally licensing issues or unfriendly (illegal) content.

This forum facilitates stealing on a daily basis by brokers pretending direct lenders without any verification. If Dailyfunder has exposure for defamation, then shouldn't Dailyfunder have legal exposure for companies lying about their services?

What is the difference?

Even when a user posts something that could be considered defamation, the company could respond in a public forum. (Takes a lifetime to build a reputation & a minute to ruin it type of thing).

Senior Member Reputation points: 122242 BR-Nightmare's Avatar

Update: 10/24/15 - Going forward all solicitors (whether selling a product/service or asking for deals) must disclose their physical address, phone number and company name. This can be visible in the post itself or on an accompanying website. If it's not on one or both, the post may be deleted and the user banned. Free e-mail addresses are highly discouraged.

This rule is being implemented to improve the user experience on the forum.

Exceptions may be granted but in general, please adhere to this policy.<------It feels that this line here gets abused.......
    The Brokers Nightmare
    I don't want peace, I want problems, ALWAYS!
    Florida-Based

Senior Member Reputation points: 301165

Ask them why they have so many different names , that we are all seeing on a daily basis scamming merchants one way or another. Legitmate companies do not operate under 30 plus names with no website etc.
    Admin you have been doing this long enough to know when you are being played

Senior Member Reputation points: 97075

I believe admin on this.