Looking for MCA Industry Stats for 2011 and 2012
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Member Reputation points: 27

Looking for MCA Industry Stats for 2011 and 2012

I'm looking for some official stats on the industry for 2011 and 2012.
    I have the stats for 2010.
    Complete Merchant Cash Advance Industry Statistics 2010 💰 Merchant Processing Resource 💰
    Does anyone have the latest stats?

A forum user Reputation points: 2147483647 Sean Cash's Avatar

blindbid, the reason you won't find these stats is because MCA no longer has a uniform definition. Some consider split funding deals to MCA while others believe it includes ACH loans that go out over 18 months. Is Amex's 1 year program at 6% interest an MCA? It may be...

Capital Access Network predicted they would do $700 million between NewLogic and AdvanceMe last year. How much is split funding and how much is ACH? We don't know, so should both be included?

Coming up with estimates is even more difficult than before because funders are not filing UCCs or they are using code names, inflating their numbers, or counting deals twice.

For example: Funder A funds $100 million but syndicated $50 million of it through Funder B. Funder B Claims they did $150 million even though $50 million of it was from Funder A.

At face value, these figures would be calculated to be $250 million ($100 mil + $150 mil) even though they really only did $200 million combined.

There are thousands of people and companies syndicating, so when you ask each of them how much they did, you could literally end up with a figure around $6 billion even though it is more likely to be around $2-4 billion as a whole. I am inclined to include every kind of loan or advance less than 18 months as an MCA. Amazon, Kabbage, Amex, On Deck... They're all MCA to me.

Senior Member Reputation points: 148 Capital Stack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sean bash View Post
    blindbid, the reason you won't find these stats is because MCA no longer has a uniform definition. Some consider split funding deals to MCA while others believe it includes ACH loans that go out over 18 months. Is Amex's 1 year program at 6% interest an MCA? It may be...

Capital Access Network predicted they would do $700 million between NewLogic and AdvanceMe last year. How much is split funding and how much is ACH? We don't know, so should both be included?

Coming up with estimates is even more difficult than before because funders are not filing UCCs or they are using code names, inflating their numbers, or counting deals twice.

For example: Funder A funds $100 million but syndicated $50 million of it through Funder B. Funder B Claims they did $150 million even though $50 million of it was from Funder A.

At face value, these figures would be calculated to be $250 million ($100 mil + $150 mil) even though they really only did $200 million combined.

There are thousands of people and companies syndicating, so when you ask each of them how much they did, you could literally end up with a figure around $6 billion even though it is more likely to be around $2-4 billion as a whole. I am inclined to include every kind of loan or advance less than 18 months as an MCA. Amazon, Kabbage, Amex, On Deck... They're all MCA to me.
    Sean well said.

The one thing I would add is technically, 2nd's "Stacks" should also be incorporated in total figures. Not a fan of them, although it is extra liquidity in the overall market.

Senior Member Reputation points: 3217 CO1's Avatar

Would you be able to send the stats that you have?

Well said you took the words right out of my finger tips. Greatly said Sean.

Thank you Blindbid !

Stacking or Side by Side- Whatever you want to call it- should def be looked at. If so much of this is going on, than, one should ask, are funders being too conservative on their UW guidelines for how much they will lend, when a merchant can renew, or, is it a desperate sign a merchant is struggling with first advance and needs more to stay afloat. A handful of funders are doing stacking including loan companies stacking behind loan companies or behind an advance. Not to mention most companies will stack with AMEX and Rewards Network already as a practice.