Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

First MCA Deal Ever

Who remembers the first MCA deal they ever closed? Was it a mess you used as a learning experience or did the deal end up being a great client? I bet some of us have some pretty entertaining stories
    Lifetime Funding
    nicholas@lifetimefundingllc.com
    516-604-0609

Senior Member Reputation points: 23563

I Chased him for his statements for about 3 weeks. Finally got him 25K approval.. diff lender agreed to 30K funded it with them.... funded him 14 times over the past two years..(bless the lord) last deal two weeks ago for 250K.

Senior Member Reputation points: 216519

My first deal? I was new to the industry entirely. We had an app and banks from a small restaurant in Texas. We had the lead from some outsourced cold calling group in Honduras, and the client only spoke Spanish. My ex-partner was running the submission show, I knew nothing, and he only ran things through Yellowstone. We had a $5,000 approval from Yellowstone (via Robert Wagner) paying 7 points (or something, commissions were $350). We needed the COJ notarized. The owner was Mexican and didn't speak English. We could talk to her daughter who spoke English, but it was through the agent, and the daughter wasn't so involved in the business. To get it notarized was a challenge, so I figured we'd use notarize.com (in its MCA infancy) and find a Spanish rep. I offered that we pay for it. It wasn't done properly. So we did it again at notarycam.com. This time it was actually was done correctly and when we sent it in to Robert, Yellowstone's lawyers told us, "A digital notary is no good, use a real notary." So we explained to the daughter, through the Honduras reps, to go to the bank, which she did.

Commission were $350. We paid $50 to the notaries. $162.50 to the agent (50-50), so we were left with $162.50. I took 1/3 and my partner took 2/3. $54.16 was my profit on that. Didn't know how to stay in touch to renew, didn't have a relationship because she we don't speak Spanish. It was just a disaster. Good thing I don't have a partner anymore and I can feel comfortable paying out like that. Wow.

Banned Reputation points: 179851

Pizza shop in Mass.

Senior Member Reputation points: 3610

Bodyshop out in FL 40k COJ Deal ah the good old days.

Banned Reputation points: 6026

miller roofing with LCF
    default out the gate lol

Senior Member Reputation points: 2902 JParr's Avatar

First was a $200k to an intrastate trucking company in CA. This was maybe 6-7 years ago now - have done a total of 15-16 deals for him so far. Most of the deals were MCAs but a couple of truck/trailer deals sprinkled in there. He was my golden goose for a while but he's grown out of MCAs. I think the largest deal I funded for him was $350k.

We are still great friends and I hit him up every couple of months. He locating some trucks now that he wants to finance by end of year.
    Joshua Parrish | SLIM Capital
    (415) 938-4977 | josh@slimcapital.com
    www.slimcapital.com

Member Reputation points: 3077

General contractor in Texas: First deal funded 150k, funded merchant a total of $800k. Great merchant, it was tough to get him in and keep him : but sometimes it's like that! Good luck to everyone. I didn't close a deal for my entire first month but once it happened, it kept on happening! May everyone have a strong September! And, to all new brokers, STAY AFTER IT!

I had an exclusive merchant that nobody was able to close. His name was G.ry M.rsh and I funded him 75k. Guy was a perfect payer just couldn't get him to renew 😞

Senior Member Reputation points: 216519

Did you fund Gary with IOU, Loanme, Fundbox or UFS? Those are what he's had in the recent past. Unless you were the first one who got him the Bizfi?

Quote Originally Posted by abfunders View Post
    Did you fund Gary with IOU, Loanme, Fundbox or UFS? Those are what he's had in the recent past. Unless you were the first one who got him the Bizfi?
    Damn, he said he was only working with me. I feel so violated

Quote Originally Posted by FLORIDAMAN View Post
    Who remembers the first MCA deal they ever closed? Was it a mess you used as a learning experience or did the deal end up being a great client? I bet some of us have some pretty entertaining stories
    Funded a 3k consulting biz, felt violated by my split the shop I worked at gave me. Upon renewal realized he started to forge his banks to get more money. Learned a lot though.

Senior Member Reputation points: 301165

first deal i did was a limo guy with sub 500 credit on a split deal back in 07 for $2500. The deal after signed docs took over a week because i kept screwing up with the switch of processor ,lockbox etc . I also screwed up and sold it at 0% cm (the buy rate) the funder felt bad and gave me 3% cm after house split i made less than that day lunch bill . Did wind up moving him and than renewing him 10-12 times over 4 years in till he went out of business . (last funding was like 15k)

Senior Member Reputation points: 39157

2015... Mustve been like end of February because we opened in Dec 15 2014 and I was working 8-10 hour days, being mentored by Peter Finn (was the 1st person to really spit game to me, other than Jay Avigdor who was the 1st person I EVER spoke to about an MCA... he was working at Pearl at the time.)... I learned a ton from listening to Peter. Took me forever to get paper. Then took me forever to pitch the offer... get past rebuttals... and get a merchant funded. My first deal was a 35k Rapid Advance deal 10 months... mustve been a 1.30 or something... I can't (and don't care to remember) about the commissions... but I remember the feeling. I remember the feeling of helping a business owner get funded. It felt good.

Senior Member Reputation points: 55949

Quote Originally Posted by abfunders View Post
    My first deal? I was new to the industry entirely. We had an app and banks from a small restaurant in Texas. We had the lead from some outsourced cold calling group in Honduras, and the client only spoke Spanish. My ex-partner was running the submission show, I knew nothing, and he only ran things through Yellowstone. We had a $5,000 approval from Yellowstone (via Robert Wagner) paying 7 points (or something, commissions were $350). We needed the COJ notarized. The owner was Mexican and didn't speak English. We could talk to her daughter who spoke English, but it was through the agent, and the daughter wasn't so involved in the business. To get it notarized was a challenge, so I figured we'd use notarize.com (in its MCA infancy) and find a Spanish rep. I offered that we pay for it. It wasn't done properly. So we did it again at notarycam.com. This time it was actually was done correctly and when we sent it in to Robert, Yellowstone's lawyers told us, "A digital notary is no good, use a real notary." So we explained to the daughter, through the Honduras reps, to go to the bank, which she did.

Commission were $350. We paid $50 to the notaries. $162.50 to the agent (50-50), so we were left with $162.50. I took 1/3 and my partner took 2/3. $54.16 was my profit on that. Didn't know how to stay in touch to renew, didn't have a relationship because she we don't speak Spanish. It was just a disaster. Good thing I don't have a partner anymore and I can feel comfortable paying out like that. Wow.

Sounds like you got that lead from us, when we were first based in that hole in the wall taco shop. Those merchants were the absolute best, but only if you were bilingual.

Senior Member Reputation points: 4457

2007 I was an Equipment Leasing Officer with a firm Birmingham, AL. Had a Mexican restaurant in need of equipment.. but we were pretty strict on personal credit.. his was sub 600, so it was declined. Didn't really know how to help the guy, but then I ended up referring it this older gentleman that used to bring us crazy off the wall deals. He had mentioned this MCA program that he had access to, to provide capital to restaurants (AdvanceMe). So, I referred the deal to him (with really no expectations) and a week later he brought me half the commission of $3K. Needless to say, I was hooked after that. I continued with the leasing company until the big economic crash in '08 (got laid off). Decided I could do this MCA thing. So I hooked up with OnDeck and AdvanceMe/CAN and so many more.. was able to get a ton of my leasing clients funded.

2015- Pound Ridge Painting - 7k at 1.499 for 75 days - defaulted in 10 days lol

FASTFWD...

2021- 65M+ in total funding since 10/2016..

This industry will take you on a roller coaster ride to the financial heavens, just make sure your ready to die for your deals!!!

I heard ucc leads are the best way to start so we bought like 20K leads
    After a week of trying to get banks from people we found an electric contractor
    We funded him 300K paying 5 points with KCG (back when it was Kings Cash Group)
    Defaulted two weeks later

Senior Member Reputation points: 86751

a deal with advanceme, before they were can capital, on a cc split funding only option era. $50k deal. before the daily/weekly ach boom